New motherboard for Ryzen 5900x?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by hypnotize99, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    Just out of curiosity: In what way is a Intel NIC better (or worse) than a Realtek one?
    I mean I didn't notice any difference in everyday use between Intel and Realtek in the past, so is it just a matter of principle?

2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I choose the strix-e X570 mainly because i wanted an EK monoblock and i only had 4 options , 2 which were too expensive imo and one was the more budget aorus elite, which i think it's great for the price but i don't like the looks of gigabyte products, at least not for what i'm going for.

BTW has anyone managed to get a 5900x? I can't find any in stock here.

I'm not sure but i think the B550 unify is somehow better than the x570. I think the x570 has insuficient vrm cooling capability and they fixed that on the b550.Or something like that.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  3. I wouldn't buy any X570 MB mainly because of the actively cooled chipset. I seriously have no idea what was going through their heads when they were designing the cooling solutions... giving chipset some terribly inefficient passive and sticking a little fan on top of it. It looks like cooling solution from 20 years ago. For air cooled systems this could be fine, but for very quiet water cooled systems this is simply unacceptable... what is worse, these fans get louder as they age and eventually fail completely.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    3900X doesn't require 2 x 8pins at all. 1 x 8pin is more than enough to power mine. Most board don't even have 2 x 8pin its normally just 8+4 pin.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Most of the time the fan doesn't even (majority of boards - the ones that people should buy - turn the fan on after reaching certain temperature). It might not ever run depending on case airflow and use case.

6. That might be correct, but I'm not going to risk that. I'll rather wait for new generation of AMD chipsets. It also proves my point of bad cooling solution. Proper (ideally copper) passive with heat pipe would actually be better long-term than this. And honestly I'm pretty sure that the fan noise would force me to remove it and come up with some sort of custom passive cooling, which I don't want to do anymore.

7. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    No the cheaper MSI had issues with the VRMs the Unify is the exact same board as the ACE without the second Lan Socket but it does have 2.5g wired and WIFI 6, 3 M2 slots which are important for me as I want to move away from HDD and 2 other things no heatpipe VRM cooler to chipset cooler and no RGB on the board but you can plug in if you want.
    One thing to be aware of on MSI X570s the 2 8 pins should be used one powers the CPU one the PCIe

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If it dies I'll just replace the whole thing with bigger heatsink. It's easy thing to do anyway on my X570 Tomahawk.

9. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    @suty455 you are right,just watched some videos on yt about it.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i think the x570 is probably the best chipset for some time, the asmedia based chipsets are all rather limited in IO connectivity.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi

@9:10 timeframe, just listen. I know,i know, your question was based on different ground and OS, but you'll understand why I put that example.

Morax likes this.
  12. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    Thanks, that kind of clarifies things.

anticupidon likes this.
  13. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP