Xbox Series S has 364 GB of space available for games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    To me the Series S is becoming more and more useless as a console with every passing news story about it. I think Microsoft made a huge mistake with this console. If I was a developer I would give the Series S the Wii-U treatment not develop games that were scheduled to be released on it by saying it is way too weak and we can't get our games to work on it properly.

2. feelsboi64

feelsboi64 Guest

GPU:
    GT 1030 2GB DDR5
    What could possibly justify so much system reserve?

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    That little console is offering some cracking bang for buck, £250 for a ssd, amazing loading times, 1440p gaming, hdr, bc up the wazzo................and to think only 6 years ago in 2014 £499 got me a kinect 2. Lol

4. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    The only way I see this console to be ok is for poor country's where you can buy this console, and an external HDD where you can store games and move them o the console if you whis to play them.
    Still I think that they where better if the added 1TB drive.

5. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Like we all learned many years ago: "isn't it just like micro$oft (big bad billy's gang)"

6. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    yeah right 4 teraflops, thats a 970 ...

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Microsoft: Oh, you ran out of space on your Xbox Series S? I guess you'll just have to use xCloud...

DannyD likes this.
  8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'm sure I've read that standard hard drives can't be used for XSX due to games expecting higher transfer speeds (or something like that)?

Which means any additional drives MUST be SSD or better. Traditional spindle drives are only good for playing Xbox One/360/OG games on XSX, correct me if I'm wrong. Which means theres no cheap way out of it.

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    That's right @Stormyandcold. Specifically, you must purchase a proprietary SSD, kinda looks like a memory card. $220 for 1tb.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    So that's 2 Games :p

And i read the PS5 doesn't support 1440p.

Looks like both have their flaws.

Stormyandcold and DannyD like this.

11. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Hang on, if I had 4 big 250GB games and games cost £60, then, In reality I'm paying £115 per game inc hd add-on. WTF. OK, this might be over-dramatic right now, however, it's a potential reality for XSX with devs going OTT with textures, audio and 4K videos.

Didn't know that. That changes my perspective on the situation. I was considering the PS5 for exclusives, I'm already a PC gamer so I don't see myself getting the XSX, but, now I might not get one until I have a 4K tv. Which is difficult because we don't have TVs in my household. Everyone is using either PC (me),laptops, ipads, Switch or phones. My monitor is an Acer 1440p 144hz freesync. IME, monitors can last for 8-10yrs...

Surely Sony will eventually support it?

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You can store the XSS/X games on a standard external HDD but not play them (in fact you can not play from an external drive period)

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not only that The PS5 doesn't even have the external M.2 slot enabled by default at launch. To me that is the biggest flaw of the PS5.

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    No word on that from Sony, they only said it won't support 1440p, so may never be supported.

You can hook up a 1440p monitor, but it will upscale from 1080p.

https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals...ud/ps5-wont-support-1440p-displays-after-all/

15. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I hear there's some really good graphics cards for £700...back to PC gaming then.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Damn this is just furthering my case of it's not enough room lol.

At that point, if you're gonna buy the Series S plus the expensive expansion card, you might as well buy the Series X.

Keitosha, Maddness and Cyberdyne like this.
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    first of all all the new system should of came with at VERY LEAST 1TB drives, then again I think the use of super expensive NVMe was a bad idea simply do to there cost a normal SSD and have games/Engines actual use the full 600mb bandwith they have would more then adequate cause not even PC games do that

Fender178 likes this.
  18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Quick resume.

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Adequate now but not in the future I think when they're made to take advantage of NVMe.

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Both these new consoles should come with AT LEAST 2TB. Its been what over 20 years since consoles had hard drives (original Xbox), even last gen consoles should of come with 1TB HDD's as standard.

I guess their choice of going with NVME drives really hurt their profit margins when it comes to high capacity flash storage. These new consoles would of seen a huge load time increase with a traditional 2.5mm SSD and it would of been a lot cheaper for them to include higher storage sizes.

Instead they go with NVME and not one person who I've spoken too who is a console gamer even knows what NVME is and thinks or just uses the term SSD to describe the new consoles storage. I can see a lot of people plugging in external HDD's or SSD's and wondering why the loading isn't fast or wondering why the console refuses to even use it.