Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Pretty good documentary on the scourge that is social media. I think you'll find it particularly illuminating if you are unaware of how they manipulate your behavior.

2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Will check it out.

What do you guys think of Tenet? New Mutants?

Liked them both, Tenet does require to stay focus the whole movie, or watch it at least twice tho.
    New mutants is a nice twist around the mutant movie concept, mixing it with horror, i like it !

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Saw tenet this evening and although it was well done i didn't understand much of the story, quite complicated.

XenthorX likes this.
  4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Thanks for recommendation ;)

Not easy to watch due to vomiting amount of egoism and narcissism while patting themselves on the back. And the only guy who's not smug, is not exactly easy on eyes (dreadlocks guy)

Here's the thing: the synergy of propaganda, mass media and psychology goes all the way back to at least early 1900s. While focus groups with their population tailored algorithms have been in use for something like 80 years. F uck... The Economist has been successfully infecting suspecting and unsuspecting victims for nearly 2 centuries. All the way before the repeal of Corn Laws. Yes, not literally the same - methods change (hoohoo imagine that), but the principle idea is old as fuk: Find target, deliver payload, cause desired effect.

The smugness of these people is hard to watch, but it's understandable: They all act like they have opened the gates of Hell. You can hear a lecturer calling them "geniuses". They all made insane amounts of money.
    And now that they have summoned the Satan (how cool is that) they're being invited to grandstand about its dangers and asked what should be done hahaha. Can you guess their recipe? Here it goes: a bit of tweaking, regulations and laws. Because basically it's fine.
    Ohh.. and watch out for Russians because you know... they are a danger to our democracy. Have you guessed it so far - yes, these people are status quo die-hard centrists. Asking them what should be done is about as smart as asking billionaires to solve inequality.

The best thing this movie has to say is: drop social media, use Qwanta and Youtube (un)recommendation plugins. But... will you?

PS
    I've read bunch of reviews and they can be 95% summed up as "wow scary". I disagree: It's half scary and half infuriating:
    The fact that 95% of people go "wow scary" in 2020 when hearing about algorithms. :mad::mad:
    :rolleyes:

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So...basically you didn't like it? I personally thought it was great and should especially be an eye opener for young people.

And yes, this is nothing new but like they say - now with the Internet is so very much easier to manipulate and the tools (computers, AI and so forth) are vastly more powerful now than in the 1900s.

The next question would be, why do people believe anything? I would personally assume that it has to do with how you're raised. It's good to have an open mind but it's also important to critique based on scientific facts. On the other hand, who will know what reality is but what we're fed through social media at the command of someone who sold an opinion from a company?

Yes it's 50/50 scary and infuriating but the infuriating part is that greed is the machine behind all of this, a few men having immense power and wanting more and more money on the expense of everyone and everything around them.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @Netherwind

i dunno dog
    The movie goes in a right direction and has a noble goal of informing us, is just that
    1) The presentation at times was cringefest and fake. Yes, only at times, but that's what hits me and then stands out
    2) 90 minutes of geniuses talking about their field of expertise, warrants telling us at least SOMETHING we didnt already know, even if 20 years too late
    3) then again reading ppls reviews, turns out the movie did more than that...

7. electronerd35

electronerd35 Guest

GPU:
    8 RAM
    What do you guys think of Deadpool? Never been into Marvel movies but my flatmates forced me to start now and the beginning was with Deadpool. Any recommondations for the next marvel movie I have to watch?

8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF

Kaleid likes this.
  9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Did you like Deadpool? if you did i would recommend Deadpool 2, otherwise Thor Ragnarok. First few Thor movies are average but not unworthy cough, you could start with the first Thor movie to get a god picture of the universes, the characters, and if you don't like it cut it short and jump to Ragnarok.
    Guardians of the Galaxy movies are both good, light hearted.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Great success!

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -

The Passion of the Christ (2004)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335345

I'm not sure how this movie managed to go under my radar, or perhaps I wasn't paying attention, but it was an unforgettable experience.

And from the looks of it, Mel Gibson is already working on a sequel: "The Passion of the Christ: Resurrection", which is due for release in 2022.

Hypernaut likes this.
  12. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I just hope it's included with Prime so you don't have to pay extra.

I remember when it came out. I thought to myself I have no interest in a 2 hour torture movie.

13. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    For the original Karate Kid movie fans, or those who liked the Cobra Kai series as well, season 3 is coming.

Hypernaut likes this.
  14. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Saw Unhinged last night. Imagine the Terminator going after you because you didnt apologize :D

Hypernaut likes this.

16. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    Phenomenal movie. No woke garbage, only a little dig at road raging and a slight hint at toxic masculinity, apart from that it's a great movie to sink 90 minutes.

17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
  18. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
  19. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    What lies below, get it on amazon, currently watching and it's pretty damn good.
    About halfways through Tenet too, enjoying the movie making and acting but what the hell is up with the premise? LOL
    So stupid.

20. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060