Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.10.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah great driver. Didnt run into single issue or crash and i've been playing quite a few games this days. Performance is stellar, good job amd.

Netherwind, Krteq, HD64G and 4 others like this.
  2. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    I had huge screen flickering in games that went away after I activated the no lag feature with freesync on the card and v-sync, in-game. Everything seems fine. Some games I switch off v-sync and experience no flickering.

Kuss and HD64G like this.
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Good to know (9.2 here) i will wait for WHQL 10.1

4. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Out of the blue, the idle core clock is not reporting 800MHz anymore. It has been 800MHz since October 2019 IIRC. Didn't change anything since I installed this driver. Going down as low as 6MHz.

Hey, maybe this won't be permanent after all.

upload_2020-10-28_21-48-10.png

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Mines still says 795mhz

6. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    It's back to 800MHz.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm two drivers for November, nice.
    https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/smart-access-memory

References 20.11.2 for the requirements so there would have to be a 20.11.1 driver.

And from what I read on AMD's Reddit this is done by improving the data throughput to the PCI-E so it's not limited to a max of 256 MB per chunk.
    Could be good maybe even more so for Direct Storage come to think of it.

Plus whatever else 20.11.1 and 20.11.2 actually contains ahead of put-in-everything for the December driver. :p

EDIT:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jm2r2j/smart_acces_memory_and_pcie_30/

That does explain a bit too on AMD putting it at a up-to for like 5% too not something like a 2% or whatever although it is still situational but depending on data transfer and possible bottlenecks it could be a good thing.

EDIT:
    Then there's Rage Mode but it seems like it increases the power limit which is easy enough in Wattman but it's a bit more conservative not the full 20% or 50% or whatever.

...Hmm can it even be 50%

So a draw of 300 Watts and 2x 8-pin so 300 plus 75 from the PCI.
    50% would allow a draw of another 150 so where would that come from.
    20% would be another 60 so that's within margin, kinda.

Although that's doing a simple total power draw and just adding a flat value it could be the GPU core only power draw and with more headroom as a result and less worry about spikes or fluctuations above the max.

Measurements and what not will show what it's at over AMD's target figure and estimated maximum plus average power draw and bla bla ha ha.
    (How it scales and how it scales with a bit more power if that's capping boost much at all over thermals or other factors.)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    20.11.2 must be the anniversary one end of november.

And 20.11.1 next week for GODFALL.

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    :rolleyes: So we need Tweaks - Yes ?

An amd driver developer stated on the Phoronix forums that smart access memory is just resizeable BAR support which is a feature of the PCIe 3.0 specification and which Linux has supported for years,
    there is nothing stopping amd, nvidia or Intel from adding support for it on pretty much any modern hardware.

Smart Access Memory already works on Linux and is not exclusive to Zen 3 or Navi 2x
    -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jk76u9/smart_access_memory_already_works_on_linux_and_is/

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it's a OS limit (restriction?) on Windows I think I read, Linux has some interesting and flexible solutions to a lot of common problems that Windows has or that have remained for compatibility legacy stuff and all that.
    Could be changed maybe this could even be something AMD pushes to see changed in the future if it works well it's not quite the same but a bit like extending the 260 path limit or large address awareness and similar tweaks.

There's also a tweak more directly related to memory and address space that while also not quite the same might be closer having benefits if enabled but potential compatibility issues and drawbacks if activated.

EDIT: Though good as Linux can be the numerous distributions and ways to set them up and what's packed in can be a compatibility nightmare even when there's clearly defined requirements set up going by a number of developer insights about that.

I'd imagine this might end up like a few other flags so AMD could end up with a blacklist if there's compatibility issues identified for specific titles though hopefully just allowing more data to be chunked around won't be a breaking thing but you never really know. :D

EDIT: Hmm there's Microsoft documentation on it too, perhaps it's less of a OS issue after all.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/resizable-bar-support

OnnA likes this.
  12. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    is that time spy extreme? the score seems very low for regular. I don't have my Radeon VII installed at the moment but seem to recall it scoring around 8860.

edit

I ran time spy extreme with a 2070s and and got 5101 for gpu but only 3401 for cpu (3600) :confused:

edit 2

Never mind, I'm an idiot and thought you were using 5700XT

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  13. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    From a few sources I have heard that the problem e.g. with intel is that their PCIe spec is utterly broken and thus this feature will never work cleanly on their platform /// their PCIe bridges and redrivers are utterly broken.
    So that is fact number one. And they never wanted to fix that because deemed "unnecessary" ... at least from their (intel) perspective

Not sure if AMD started to get it done right first with the Gen3 Mainboards, but there are some requirements for this feature, that is a part of the PCIe spec to work without any problems. This is NOT _just_ a resizable bar cause you need to met specific electrical criteria.

Jackalito and HD64G like this.
  14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wonder how flexible it is, there's setting for support for this in the bios so likely the auto means on for the 5000 CPU's and off for earlier but if that could be overriden I wonder if this could be toggled on earlier processors too if it's less CPU and more motherboard or rather the higher criteria for PCI Express 4.0 allowing some of the rest of these bits to fall in place perhaps together with newer motherboard / chipset drivers.

And how much of a benefit this is although considering game optimization issues I wouldn't be surprised if there's some cases where it works well even if this current limit should have been the standard and designed around for data transfers.

EDIT: Just curious really, chances are there's hardware requirements in place and stuff from the motherboard, CPU and GPU factoring in for this thus it might be entirely impossible to enable this properly on earlier hardware or AMD could unlock it for existing CPU and GPU's when coupled with a PCI Express 4.0 motherboard meeting the PCI-E requirements down the line.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Hehe, yeah for a 5700 it would be low but for a 580 its about right.

16. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Jonas --- I think it is a mix of all.... Gen3 Motherboards need to meet PCIe 4.0 Standards which are more strict than 3.0.... then there is the case of the Chipset --- which is basically the same IO Die as installed also on ZEN2 and ZEN3 CPUs....
    Would it be possible to enable this tech on ZEN2 paired witha a Gen3 MoBo?
    If the "special sauce" is only on the IO Die and Motherbord spec (and of course RX6***), then yes....
    If by chance they needed to adjust something in the CCX Complex, then no --- it will be only possible in the exact combination AMD has provided -- ZEN3 paired with Gen3 MoBo and RX6xxx Series.

Jackalito and JonasBeckman like this.
  17. Obsidian_Oasis

Obsidian_Oasis Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070s
    This makes no sense to not offer preorders available for all (2 max purchased to every address, area within a 2 or so mile radius) consumers. It's like, the OEMs are behind these so-called scalpers.

18. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    You just need to ask the developers, sometimes they will give you an honest and direct answer without all of the marketing nonsense (and yes, it was me on the Phoronix forums who dared to ask him for clarification - still enjoying the 5 Minutes of fame). :D

OnnA likes this.
  19. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Maybe a driver today or monday! :D:p

Undying and PrEzi like this.
  20. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Give me something.... anything! The wait for RX6xxx drives me crazy! :p