Arctic Launches Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO Liquid Processor Cooler

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    Seems like a great cooler since it has a 1.5 inch thick radiator instead of the standard 1 inch that most AIOs come with. One thing concerns me though. How would you control the VRM fan on this thing? Unless I am mistaken there is not any software for this thing so the VRM fan would be tied to the CPU temp or something and would spin up and down all the time. As a Ryujin 360 owner I know how loud these small fans can be so I set mine to a static level in the Armoury crate software. In the Asus AIO only the pump speed is controlled by motherboard and the other fans by software.

3. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The VRM fan is the reason why i skipped the serie in general.

I'm looking for the barrow waterblock with integrated pump, since i own some rads already, but i can't find it.

Also 420 is hard to fit in most pc cases.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Wow that VRM fan is awful!
    You cant even remove it to use your own fan.
    Terrible design.

I blow a reduced voltage larger fan at my chipset and ram.
    No matter what it always has the needed cooling and is silent.

5. hmetro24

hmetro24 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx3080
    I have the 280mm model, it is quite and has a great cooling performance, however the Vrm fan is more about look and completely useless. 2nd, i did a di-lid to the cpu. but when installing it, it will touch the capacitor in the motherboard z390, so wasn't able to use it straight to the cpu die. Fans,pump vrm fan are all controlled by 1 plug.
    i do not think there will be a huge gain between the 420mm and the 280mm, maybe 1-2 degrees
    Everything is great about it except the pump/block/vrmfan design* itself

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  6. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    I got the 360mm version in my pc and im actually pretty happy with it. Not hearing this thing whatsoever. Would defo go with arctic again.

7. Darksword

Darksword Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 980 Ti
    I have the 280mm version, and you cannot hear the VRM fan while in operation.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks for the info.

The bumph says it never needs topping up due to the weirdy woo pipes (believe it when I see it) and well, it'd be cool to see how fast my screwed up 6700K can go.
    An AMD 5xxx cpu is incoming anyway, it can go on that later for the real showdown, and this AIO looks like a sweet performer.
    Plus it will remove heat from the GPUs cooling area.
    I ordered a 420mm version, should be here at the w/e or just after.
    Finally some fun to look forward to after the 3080 no show.
    :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I'd get one if my case would allow, stuck with 280mm version, one tiny wire runs the whole system, very tidy. Super quality rad too.:)

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Fortunately my PC is mounted inside an open backed coffee table, the radiator will be placed underneath it so the heat gets nowhere near my GPU.
    Its a pretty good solution if you have the floor space, air in and out to the GPU are provided by 230mm fans and a 1 inch gap under the table surface all the way round for any hot air that rises.

DannyD likes this.

11. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I run the fans off my mobo, many folks do this to lessen stress on the single wire. A recent rig of the month was inside a table too, gets you thinking!:D

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Hehe, mine isnt flash enough to win an award. It looks great from the outside because you cant tell a PC is inside it apart from a small amount of air whoosh.
    Interesting someone else built a PC inside a table, I missed that. Mines been like this for 4 years, it was a great idea.

I'm not sure what you mean by a single wire?
    My fans also run from the mobo, no sense using another power supply, they hardly use any power.
    The loudest noise is from the GPUs Arctic Accelero III cooler which is pretty quiet (always on full speed).
    Although there is a drive that rumbles quite a bit which had to be mounted on a bit of packing it arrived in to stop it using the case as a sounding board!
    (everything is sat on carpet inside the table, the mobo is mounted on a metal motherboard tray. Most drives are mounted in drive racks, both nicked from my last case, or just sat upside down on top of the PSU/drive bays. A silent 230mm fan blows air past them.)

13. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    I until recently used a 120, and while the performance was always good both the 120 rad fan and the small VRM fan got noisy over time, so in less than a year I stopped using it.
    I received a replacement for the 120 fan from Arctic, but it too developed a bearing whine after a few months.

Running a Fractal Celsius 240 now.

14. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    Nah bro, I have the 280mm version of this and I have never ever heard that small VRM fan, not even once,.,,and it IS spinning. The radiator is so thick, I look at my old corsair 240mm radiator and it looks like a toy in comparison. AND, that lil vrm fan is NOT useless, unless you want to disagree with Steve at GamerNexus and his review of this AIO. Also, you don't have to control everything off one fan lead. It is very easy to run the fans off the MB's CPU fan headers and have the pump and VRM connect to the pump header if you choose. I was gonna go this route, but ended up letting the CPU fan header control everything and I couldn't be happier with the performance. (3800x here).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    DG21 likes this.
  15. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    I can only agree to Rx4speed's post!

The VRM-cooler is totally inaudible in a closed case.

And while have it mounted upside down, it keeps my 960pro (on which I added a M.2 heatsink) @66°C Max. under torture.

I'm reeeally curious to see what results hilberts review of this AiO brings (hopefully ;] ).

Anyway -> My 3900X stays below 70°C with my 240 @4.2GHz allcore... and for that price (t'was 69€ in january), it's an absolut nobrainer! :D

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Did not Steve just reviewed it and found the vram fan would reduce vram temp by 4 celcius or something like that. Would not call that useless personally.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This cooler is very good.
    It beats my old custom water cooler by probably 10C+ which has allowed me a higher clock on my CPU and memory together which wasnt possible before.
    My cooler wasnt high profile, it had a good block, 280mm car heatercore as a rad with silent fans, and a very quiet pond pump (Eheim 1048), 1/2" ID pipes.
    (I havent used water cooling for about 6 months due to lack of care/attention, it lasted 15 years. It was replaced with my old TRUE120 with a silent 140mm fan strapped on and configured to not reach 70C.)
    The Arctic LF-420 isnt as quiet as my old water cooler but it also doesnt need to be run at full speed so is not bad with Prime95, no problem gaming.
    You cannot hear the pump when its maxed, only the fans.

A few results with run times, max overclock at the end:
    Fan/pump speed range is quoted as 200 to 1700rpm.
    I found it runs from around 550 to 1580rpm, no faster.

6700K @4.4GHz. Memory @3600MHz
    CPU @1.24V in bios, 1.28V reported under load.
    Ambient 20.6C
    Prime95 non AVX: in place FFTs (max heat)
    Time in minutes:

TRUE120 air cooler, single silent 140mm fan strapped on:
    :00 22C idle on worst core.
    :10 66C
    :20 65C
    :30 65C

Arctic LF-420, fan/pump set to max by accident (CPU fan speed was at 100%).
    :00 22C idle
    :05 47C 1578 rpm
    :10 48C 1582 rpm
    :20 48C 1582 rpm

Previously my max overclock using my water cooler with this 6700K was 4.6GHz @1.36V (1.392V reported under load) with DDR4 3000 @3600MHz, CPU about 70C running Prime95.
    The ram could do 3733MHz but only with a CPU clock of 4.5GHz or below.

Max overclock with this LF-420 = 4.7GHz with higher Vcore AND ram @3733MHz.
    CPU @1.385V in bios, 1.44V under load.
    Temp = 62C max with pump/fan @1410 rpm.

fyi

edited to tidy up the figures

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  18. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    I suspect you guys who OC by quite a bit are not the most noise sensitive.

My goal was just to be as quiet as possible. I could hear the VRM fan getting louder over time so it had to go.

In regular non gaming use, my case fans are shut off and the Fractal Celsius 240 radiator fans run at around 7-800rpm dead quiet.
    I run a Ryzen 2700 at stock speeds. So no Thermal challenges here.

tived likes this.
  19. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    Yes looking for cool and quiet

20. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    On my next upgrade (probably gpu) i'll get a new case /psu beforehands and i'll make sure it can accomodate this beastly AIO.