Watch Dogs: Legion: PC graphics performance benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Heffro

Heffro Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 Ti
    The benchmark program in this game does NOT represent the actual in-game performance at all. Not that it's a bad looking game mind you, but the performance costs are just not justified at all. It is horribly, woefully unoptimized.

The benchmarks in this article are basically worthless at this time. The game actually runs like complete DOG SH*T no matter what settings you use, even on RTX 3090's. The only way to fix it at all for now is to drop it down to DX11 instead of DX12, and then you can't use Ray Tracing, which would be fine with me if it didn't also introduce some very bizarre and ugly graphics anomalies, such as halos around characters and messed up fog and blur all over everything, just as a couple of quick examples and send your CPU usage through the roof... and that's not all.

Aaaanyway... the game is a dumpster fire technically, it doesn't make full use of your system's CPU or GPU at all, and it honestly needs about 10 more patches at the very least. It should have been delayed another 6 months minimum. It's a real shame, because otherwise it is fun and has some good game play ideas, but the AI is also really stupid as with most Ubisoft games.

The year's biggest disappointment... so far. (looking at Assassin's Creed: Valhalla and trying HARD to keep the faith)

2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Well I tried out the first 40 minutes of this game. Im not sure yet if its my cup of tea. But game runs very smoothly at setting ultra and Ray Tracing on max settings. Only turned off motion blur, which I hate with a passion and one other setting. Game does look good with RT on, imo.

3. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Hi, which resolution and average frames?
    Cheers.

4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Sorry didn't realize I didn't mention that. It's @ 4k averaging between 2040 and 2070 on the core clock. I'm getting averages in the 60's fps. Which is perfectly fine atm as it's on my 4k E6 OLED. I'm still waiting on delivery of the CX 4k OLED and then I'll tinker with settings.

DannyD likes this.

5. smashmambo

smashmambo Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    I7 8700K @4.7ghz
    16gb DDR4 3600mhz (CL16) RAM
    MSI Gaming X RTX 2070 Super (457.09)
    Samsung Evo NVME SSD
    Windows 10 64bit 2009 (20H2)

Game resolution 1080p

I get an average of 90fps on Ultra using the in-game benchmark, but when actually in the game in the open world it stutters like crazy (especially driving) even when lowering the video settings. Are we really already at the point where an 8700K isn't enough for a new AAA game?

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Hows the cpu usage? I've seen going high as 80% on a 16threads so 12threads cpus could be maxing out therefore stuttering.

7. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Did you buy the game for 60 just to try it out? I would like to see how well it works on my PC, but don't want to pay 60 just to try it out. Wish they did free "demo" releases like old days.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Isn't this the point of DLSS?

9. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    It is.

Maddness likes this.
  10. WolfPT

WolfPT Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 GAMING X
    Hi Hilbert, thank you for the review.

Would be interesting to see the difference between DX11 and DX12 on some cards, there are a few people that have better performance with DX11 than DX12.

11. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    No, it came free with the card so i have given it a go. Haven't had much time to game the last week or so. We are in the middle of re-carpeting the house. Once that's done i'll play some more.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    But can you get it locked to 60fps? That's my problem atm, while roaming it's mostly at 60 but when driving it's a different story. Mild to extreme stutter, FPS constantly pushed down, sometimes as low as 48 fps. I've even tried DFs optimized settings and HW Unboxed as well but to no avail.

I also got the game for free which is nice cause I'd be pretty bummed out paying for it in it's current state. Funny tho that this game came with 3080 and 3090 cards but cannot run properly on said cards.

According to DFs interview DX12 works best overall but DX11 can be a bit higher in select scenarios. DX12 is still supposed to be the best choice due to the game being so heavy on the CPU.

13. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    You can buy it, try it and request a refund. Of course it requires you download 100 gigabyte or however much it is... Wish more games had demos.

geogan likes this.
  14. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I never did this. Don't like idea of it ethically. But regarding downloading a gigantic amount to try out - hello MS Flight Simulator 2020 - yes I did subscribe to the Microsoft games thing just to try this out.

15. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Agree - it doesn't sit right with me either. But if they choose not to supply any sort of demo to allow users to see if this is at all for them or to test out if it runs on their system to any remotely satisfying degree is a problem for the publishers.

geogan likes this.

16. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    Even if it is useless optimization atleast its showing the problem with the 3070/3080 having low memory size

17. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Wanna see something crazy enable DXR medium on 1660 series

18. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    my god, what a complete review, gj!

(just checking how much my 5700XT has been left behind :p )

19. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I played it some more and yeah, you are quite right. Driving around has a large performance impact. I was around 42-48 fps @4k ultra with Ray Tracing and DLSS. I had no stutter at all though, so not sure what's up there.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    What kind of monitor are you playing on? I'm playing on a TV which doesn't have Freesync/G-sync or anything like that so I guess that's why the drop in framerate feels like stutter.

I still play the game though, I think the game is fun but the performance problems and bugs do get in the way. Got stuck in some reeds in the water while fleeing from the police. Luckily I finally got loose but that was annoying.