Xbox Series X / S are the only consoles that use the full capabilities of the AMD RDNA 2 architecture

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Druid Druid

Druid Druid Guest

GPU:
    ARM Mali-G71 MP2
    The Ps5 should be just as capable as the Xbox X for DirectX if Sony wants it to be. How ever I believe Sony would have to pay Microsoft a to use DirectX on there game system, both game consoles are built using hardware that should fully support DirectX 12.

As far as Vulcan goes there is nothing stopping g Sony from using it for there Ps5.

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also I don't think the Series S would be able to take full advantage of RDNA2 because I keep hearing that the Series S is very weak. Look at the new Yukza game it has to run sub full HD to get 60 fps on the Series S in 2020. Yeah I get the engine isn't very well optimized for that game but still.
    You have no idea what you are talking about. The PS3 made the PS2 look like the OG Xbox in terms of programming for it.

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This^ Developers are not going to waste time coding differently gor both consoles, with the exception of studios owned by Sony or MS. And i think we can all agree that the Xbox is a little more powerful than the PS5.

4. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    I'm not talking about the PS2's CPU, I'm talking about the custom vector unit GPU it had.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_technical_specifications

"The true power of the EE comes from its two vector units which are known as VU0 and VU1. These are referred to by Sony as two additional floating point units and aid the basic FPU in 3D T&L calculations. The power provided by these vector units is tremendous however their downfall is in their implementation. The power of the two VUs exists in the proper use of them as serial counterparts in handling the T&L calculations necessary during 3D rendering, but with the PS2 being relatively new architecture and dramatically different from what most developers had seen in the past, getting the most out of the host CPU was quite difficult. This is where the majority of the learning curve for developers came from when dealing with the PS2, especially considering that the PS2 shipped to developers without any C libraries. Writing assembly to control the interaction between these two units and the rest of the CPU is not an easy task to say the least and led to many frustrated PS2 developers."

from https://www.anandtech.com/show/853/13

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
  6. Richard Nutman

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    You're right it was. They both were, just for different reasons. Crazy GPU in PS2, then crazy CPU in PS3.
    PS4 was a doddle to program in comparison. It was the last console I worked on before leaving games.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It is quite simple that the PS2 is a lot easier to make games for than the PS3 was. Ask any game developer whose PS3 port wasn't the greatest vs the 360.

8. Richard Nutman

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    I'm not sure you can make that claim by comparing 360 ports to PS3. They were both difficult to develop for compared to modern consoles.

9. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    well the xboxes are just weird w10 pc' at this point, so AMD can either make their stuff targeting a major console AND the pc industry vs ONE sony console, guess what would happen...

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Druid Druid
    funny that millions have no problems, that included me using it for about 6-8h almost every day during summer month,
    and at least 1-2 days per week for +6h to play/demo games and/or VR on a (85in) Sony 4K tv.
    and no, it wasnt minecraft at 720p (no offense folks).
    any units i saw with temp issues were either having problems with room temp/blocked air flow or a broken fan/fan controller,
    the latter being repaired by Sony under warranty (i actually received a brand new and newer unit when i had it one a PS3).

@H83
    and is still getting "outsold" by PS5, like they did since the first PS came out.
    Having "2fps" more isnt always the first thing ppl look at when buying a console, nor have i seen "day and night" difference in IQ between both units.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Oh yeah by modern console development standards you are correct.

12. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Where is the proof of this.
    I see many saying this but no proof.
    MS is not saying they have the most powerful console. So how do you know?
    We don't know the exact details of PS5 and Xbox designs then how do we know if one is better.
    No new game coming on the 2 consoles is playing at better rezolution or fps. So give me proof (and don't say TFLOPS only on diferent custom GPU).

13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    WTF trolling is this. Microsoft is saying XSX is the most powerful console even before release not only now. Are you onto drugs or something?

Ne1l likes this.
  14. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    PS3?!?... and the fact Sony waited till the last minute before admitting defeat with developing their own 'SLI' solution and asked Nvidia for a 'Frankenstein' last-minute bolt-on solution?

*I remember naively thinking back then that a 'cell processor' in my console and in my TV and in my Video recorder would magically work together and I'd end up with utopia (... and yes I bought into the 3DO and M2 upgrade idea too)

"The intention was to use two of these in the PS3, one as CPU and one as GPU. However at the last minute Sony realised that the Cell GPU wasn’t up to the job so they went to nVidia and bought their 7800GTX GPU. This gave them a number of disadvantages:

• It wasn’t designed or optimised as a console GPU. It was designed and optimised as a PC GPU.
    • The whole architecture of the console was compromised by the last minute change.
    • The 7800GTX has less raw processing power than the Microsoft Xbox 360 GPU."

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  15. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli

You think MS are stupid enough to highlight and claim "full capabilities of RDNA 2" without a reason for that to be anything but a superior 'one-up' comment that they can't prove.

* erm.. MS is not saying they have the most powerful console, I think you'll find they are.. https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1270809430091677696

** also comments from a developer about Xbox Series X version will run at higher fps;

"I announce my Xbox exclusive is going multiplatform - Not a single Xbox "fanboy" complains

I announce that the XBSX version will be the only version that's 120 fps: Multiple Playstation fanboys troll the post

Believe it or not, I didn't design the PS5. Your beef is with Sony

— Dynamic Voltage Games (@dynamic_voltage) July 20, 2020"

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Stormyandcold likes this.

16. nicugoalkeper

GPU:
    First thing i said give me proof:
    1. You just posted a Twitter post, really, did you think that if that was real they did not advertise it, where are the videos where the promote the most powerful console.
    4 months have pass how can they miss such a chance.... On Twitter you can post what you want...
    Do you believe MS will slip such a oportunity to promote? I think not.
    2. Dirt 5 and Watch Dogs are runing at same rezolution and fps.
    3. And there are talks about the new Geometry Engine from PS5, it seems it will come to RDNA 3 or even later ones, so then this it means is better PS 5 (I don't know do you??).
    Once again I say we don't know yet if the king is Xbox s X or if PS 5 is we need to wait and see.
    So please don't trie to prove what you can't.
    I have Xbox and Ps from the beginning and don't care if one ore another wins.
    But to say any hardware is more powerful that another if you don't know them is blasfemie. Still we are on Guru3d here...

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Or you can listen to what game developers say because they know how their game is supposed to run on said hardware. https://www.onmsft.com/news/xbox-se...ill-lack-some-important-series-x-enhancements They have the dev kits and the actual console hardware for Pete sakes.

18. nicugoalkeper

GPU:
    What you posted has nothing to do whit Ps5 is XSX vs XSS.
    On PS5 those games go at the same rezolution and fps like on XSX.
    I did not say that XSX is not RDNA 2 but once again no one can claim with console is the most powerfull at the moment if they don't have the desing of XSX and PS5.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Um Yeah it does because if the games are multi-port games performance wise it may be superior on the Series X vs the PS5. Also what you posted earlier saying that we don't know which console is more powerful than the other when we do. If you look at RE8 the developers said that they were having issues getting the game running at 4K on the PS5 vs the Series X yeah I know it is only one game but still. Also your previous post is nonsense to begin with because you ask for proof on which console is the more powerful console no one knows the answer to that question than video game developers because they know the hardware very well.

20. nicugoalkeper

GPU:
    Still if R8 uses a new engine it may be that the problem is there, because Xbox is more close to a Pc and DirectX is from Microsoft so yea Xbox games are more easy to develop for someone that does not need to learn new things, but on PS 5 devs need to learn how to fully utilize the console. And devs tend to go one way or another.
    To me this subject is closed, we need facts. Not to mention that Ms and Sony will likely want to buy other game studios so yea we don't know if not some devs will want to help a deal...
    I will say this again show me real proof, until then it seems that Xbox is the better, but it only seems, we will so (no point to prolong the subject).