Xbox Series X / S are the only consoles that use the full capabilities of the AMD RDNA 2 architecture

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I think it’s more a case of both Xbox Series X/S supporting the full feature set that DX12 Ultimate provides because both consoles use DX12. Sony however use their own API so who knows what features it supports?

The specs list the PS5 as RDNA 2 so I don’t see why it wouldn’t support all those things at a hardware level at least, and they’ve already shown off games that use Ray Tracing.

schmidtbag likes this.
  3. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    To me this is not a good news, it is more like they say:
    We only have RDNA 2 so nothing new...
    I will like them to say something like:
    This is something that is not from RDNA 2 and is new in our console.
    For example Sony has a new Geometry Engine. We don't know how good it will do but is something new... And Sony also say that the have RDNA 2 to some extent.
    To me this is not a good market strategy.

4. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Tbh it's not like Sony consoles had a great track record of being easy to develop for, using AMD is a first for them.
    Understandable that Microsoft uses this angle of attack in marketing, AMD is market leader in computing being CPU or GPU technology and they've been working with them for 15years.
    The technology mentionned are also not only AMD exclusives, but internationally defined/normed technology as part of latest graphic APIs.

There's a ton of firms involved in the making of those standard, just checking the Kronos Group and you'll see Sony isn't part of the equation of firms working on the future of graphic computing.

[​IMG]

5. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    More likely it's using the same Smart memory access thing where Sony have their own special storage compression solution.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Raytracing is minor thing in RDNA2. Other features are more important for performance reasons. Raytracing costs performance, others improve it.

7. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Of course, I was just using it as an example of one of the RDNA 2 features that’s proven to be in use.

As more games come out it’ll be interesting to see if indeed the PS5 lacks any of the things listed in the article.

8. Druid Druid

Druid Druid Guest

GPU:
    ARM Mali-G71 MP2
    What I am more interested in is whether Sony has a good cooling solution this time around! I bought 3 ps3's all suffered from over heating problems due to there air vents for expelling heat being to small to get rid of the heat fast enough to keep them cool for extended periods of gaming. I bought a ps4 pro hoping to game at 4k on my 4k TV, how ever system would over heat in seconds no matter what game I played, resulting in me having to unplug the console as the only way to turn it off. Even watching Netflix 4k caused it to over heat, could only run the system at 1080p was very disappointed with Sony! So here's to hoping Sony can actually make a ps5 that does not suffer from over heating during extended gaming sessions. I'm use to gaming for 2 - 3 hours at a time between breaks during my days off from work.

XenthorX likes this.
  9. Tsenng

Tsenng Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080 AMP

This has already been tested. Apparently the cooling solution is pretty awsome!! Check on Le Tube for videos on it.

XenthorX likes this.
  10. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Huh? Playstation 4 was an AMD Jaguar based CPU with Radeon graphics chip. It was easy to develop for, it was x86_64 basically with a sony graphics API and some funky memory.
    It was PS2 with the vector processing units that was crazy difficult to develop for.

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Damn, so PS2 and PS3 had bad track record my bad. I'm really out of the loop, last console i had was a ps2.

To me, Sony is still milking the fruits of video game studio it bought during its 10 years head start over microsoft in the video game/console business. (Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, Polyphony Digital, Media Molecule).

To their credit their strategy was clear ahead of the competition, but as far as the last 5 years i really love everything Microsoft has done with its gamepass, studio acquisition ..

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Richard Nutman likes this.
  12. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Only the PS3 was know to be hard to develop for due to the cell processor far as i know. Never heard anyone say much about the ps2 being hard to develop for?

But yeah ps4 was easy peasy to develop for based on developers love for the architecture

Back to the topic, Xbox can only say this because of direct x12 which yeah they own and sony cant use. But clearly it isn't an issue they are already showing games with ray tracing and other nex gen features so very unlikely to be an issue with their API. Just Xbox throwing Shade. Its about time for everyone to pick a team so each side is doing it

13. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Yeah PS2 was difficult in the graphics department. The vector processors were very complicated. My colleague at the time, a great graphics programmer, took him about a month just to get 1 triangle rendered onscreen! The cpu side was fine though.

XenthorX likes this.
  14. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Both Sony and AMD have also said the PS5 uses RDNA2.
    The only features Microsoft can claim, at least in public, that the PS5 doesn't support, are the additional features that Microsoft wanted added for their GPU.

15. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Yes but they don't market them, only RDNA 2 why ?? lol

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Those are names, But Cerny clearly in his presentation used naming for HW features that AMD brought in with Vega and which were still present in RDNA1.
    While MS clearly used updated name for updated feature that AMD added into RDNA2. (Which nVidia had since Turing.)

Wiki:
    If maybe someone would like to claim that Primitive_Shaders = Mesh_Shaders. There is shreding at the end of such claim.
    Or maybe someone has actual proof that Cerny and his presentation was wrong, and that PS5 provides level of control Mesh Shaders have over Primitive Shaders. And the other things.

Except there is one clear problem. Sony is silent as a grave. They let 3rd party people to speak for them, so they are on safe side.

MS clearly claims "Full RDNA2", Sony claims "RDNA2 features" and customizations.

17. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Sony doesn't simply claim RDNA2 features, both AMD and Sony have explicitly said RDNA2-based GPU.
    It could even be something so simple as Sony not being allowed to disclose more specific RDNA2 details at their first reveal, but Microsoft had written permission for it in their contract.

What Microsoft claims is irrelevant here. They aren't supposed to know the details of Sony's GPU customizations, that's a deal between AMD and Sony, and the only features they realistically can claim in public as being Series X only are those that were added at Microsoft's request.

Microsoft also has an interest in promoting the commonality of the PC and Xbox, Sony doesn't have any interest in that since they use neither DirectX nor Vulkan. If they don't consider a feature worth mentioning because its relevance is primarily on the fragmented PC side, it's no surprise they act as if it's not there.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Does it really matter? i suppose apart very few exceptions, available in one console only, all the other games will look the same on both consoles.
    They are so similar, i wonder if developer can add any meaningful feature to a game that they can't on the other console.

H83 likes this.
  19. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Huh? PS3 is the one with the IBM "Cell" CPU, which was notoriously difficult to develop for. PS2 just had a run-of-the-mill MIPS.