Intel 11th Gen Processor (Rocket Lake-S) Architecture Details

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2020.

1. DaLoona

DaLoona Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080
    Amd will not hold gaming crown for long.

Not long after that comes ZEN3+/4 and then AMD will be on top once more. AMD will be focussing on retaining that "crown", you can bet on that

2. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    [quote]How It is Optimized for Amazing Gaming: Some of the new features being introduced with 11th Gen Intel Core S-Series include:

• New Cypress Cove architecture featuring Ice Lake Core architecture and Tiger Lake Graphics architecture.
    • Double-digit percentage IPC performance improvement.
    • Better gen-over-gen performance.
    • Up to 20 CPU PCIe 4.0 lanes4 for more configuration flexibility.
    • Enhanced Intel UHD graphics featuring Intel Xe Graphics architecture.
    • Intel® Quick Sync Video, offering better video transcoding and hardware acceleration for latest codecs.
    • New overclocking features5 for more flexible tuning performance.
    • Intel® Deep Learning Boost and VNNI support.
    [/quote]
    Lines above are not "How" or/and "new features".
    Mostly lines say: "It's better than before."

There are only 2 lines that are above usual marketing Bla-Bla:
    - Up to 20 CPU PCIe 4.0 lanes4 for more configuration flexibility.
    - Intel® Deep Learning Boost and VNNI support.

To me, it looks like they had nothing to put into list, so list was filled with random things. Unless naming architecture "Cypress Cove" affects its performance.

Notice says: "Performance Projections", "Error Margin 15% which is subject of change"

With notice like that you can go and claim 3080 performs 5% better than 3090. And if you happen to say 3080 performs 10% better than 3090, it is fine too. Because margin of error is subject of change on top of being mountain high.

Ricardo and sykozis like this.
  4. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    What's their obsession with the gaming market all of a sudden? Is it because that's the only niche where they're still able to compete? "Double digit" gains in marketing speak sound like 10% to me. Honestly, these Intel "leaks" and press releases hark back to the space race, when the Soviets crashed a probe into the Moon as the Eagle was about to touch down in Tranquility Base.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well for one, Ice lake is a completely new arch, no more skylake bs, etc.

So they finally made it come to life..

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's the only non-mobile segment where Intel still rules (for now), if you pay the buck. For non-gaming heavy use Intel is nothing, unless you are running a specific piece of software that was optimised for Intel only over the years. Intel's HEDT is dead. Intel still seems to rule the mobile market, but not necessarily due to being better. The laptop side is far more casual than the desktop side. An average laptop buyer knows practically nothing about computers compared to Guru3D regulars, so the technological attractiveness of laptop CPUs is pretty much a secondary priority for the manufacturers. Quite the contrary, for a decade an average laptop buyer knew that Intel is better (because it was), so even today it's still easy for the stores to sell Intel simply because of that. Of course there are also mobile gamers, who know exactly what they want, but they are a tiny minority. They do get their own marketing slides. To be honest, I'm ignorant about the top mobile CPU performance race between Intel and AMD.

Intel office level OEM sales must be really strong, but the manufacturers of those lousy computers couldn't care less about marketing speeches and technological breakthroughs. They only care about the price.

7. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    I like how they put in the disclaimer no product can be secure o_O

So they waving white flag already over security

HandR likes this.
  8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Finally Intel realized their only solution was to backport a new arch to their 14nm process. Better later then never, i guess...

But only a 8 core max is a little strange...

Well, gaming is one of the areas were Intel still shines, not to mention gamers are the target consumers for this kind of CPUs.

9. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yes please, we dont want AMD to add another $50 for 6000 series, do we?

10. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    that "Double-digit percentage IPC performance improvement." could be +01%, there are two digits. Intel marketing this days is just BS

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    +/- 15% margin of error that huge margin of error...

so could be 1% or 15% better or 1% worse or 15% worse. intel pr

Fox2232 likes this.
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well, a great gaming experience isn't that expensive on Intel anymore. As of right now, a 10600K is all you need to achieve the highest frame rates in just about any game (at least with an overclock), and that CPU isn't particularly expensive. If I cared more about peak FPS than wattage (which I don't) then I'd rather get the 10600K over a 3600X.
    Of course, things will likely change for next-gen games.
    Quick recap:
    AMD is overall faster with higher core-count offerings at a lower wattage and lower price, but, Intel's latest GPU is actually legitimately good. The unfortunate thing is, Intel's GPU performance still doesn't appear to be overall faster than Vega, though IIRC, the power consumption is better and Vega has had a lot of time to mature. For a mobile chip, efficiency is more important than performance.
    Kind of weird to be in a time where AMD makes for the better mobile CPU and Intel makes for the more sensible mobile GPU.

Kaarme likes this.
  13. Badger2k

Badger2k Guest

GPU:
    HD 520
    Yeah if you're really bad at math, I guess you could interpret it that way .