KFA2 3090 fan incessantly spinning up - help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Danny_G13, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Hi chaps, I'm the relieved owner of a KFA2 3090, finally managing to get hold of one.

But the fans are incessantly spinning up whenever I do pretty much anything.

MSI Afterburner isn't really help to shut them up - it can turn them off once they start, ish, but can't stop them spinning up.

Obviously I only want them spinning in gaming.

The KFA2 software barely seems to work and I'm not even sure it's up to date - it's asking me to adjust 'turing' fans.

So yeah, any suggestions to make this kit shut the heck up?

2. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    have to be honest and say my experience with MSI AB has been less than brilliant, tried it on my 2080ti before it was liquid cooled and have also tried it on my Wifes 2070 with the same results, I found the fans would constantly spin up and the GPU temp was always higher even when doing nothing as an example the 2070 because I tried it again recently the GPU was constantly sat at 50-55 degC and so the fans would start at 53 bring it down to 48 then turn off only for it to slowly climb again, even after uninstall it was still the same, I had to remove the drivers and reinstall to get default behaviour back so now it sits at 39degC with no fans, my conclusion after several trys MSI AB is at fault it must somehow interfere with the default idle voltage and cause increased temps and Fan activation even after resetting the profiles and uninstalling

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

> my conclusion after several trys MSI AB is at fault

The fault is between your chair and keyboard.

Mda400 likes this.
  4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070

5. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
  6. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I want to see what happens with you fans speed, try it, it's few seconds work and one restart of windows to see the results.
    Make sure your KFA2 software is uninstalled first so it does not interfere.

7. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    And maybe yours as well as a mod you have a crap attitude!
    The error is measurable and repeatable thats enough for evidence in any Lab in the world so for me I wont use the program again

russ1 likes this.
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  9. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    That's it exactly! Right, so BIOS definitely needing to be fixed.

10. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Looks like you're onto something here.

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  12. Unwinder

Your own crap attitude just returned back to you. See no problems insulting my work? Fine, your choice. And I see no problems with returning your own rays of kindness back to you. No need to continue. Any lab in the world, lol. This program is not for you.

13. Unwinder

That reviewer have no ideas how it works on 3xxx series card. Core temperature is not the only factor, which can cause fans to wake up from zero RPM mode. There are multiple fan stop arbiters, memory temperature and power sensors also affect that. And jump in GPU power causing fan to turn on is normal behaviour for reference BIOS. BIOS updates make tweak that, including power threshold for enabling fan.

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Agreed that "doing something as simple as playing a video" part from Hexus was a bit weird. There is nothing simple about it. And playing video is using something like 30+ Watts depending on the content, from GPU alone. 30 Watts will roughly raise the temperature of 100 gram copper block by 1 Celsius - PER SECOND. That is how "simple" it is.

OTOH I had no idea about multiple fan stop arbiters. I guess that AIBs are trying to keep it simple when communicating/advertising the fan stop feature.

PS
    does GPU sensing/polling raise the GPU temperature, even if ever so slightly? I think I saw this with my R9 290, where idle temps would go up just by sitting on desktop if Afterburner was running. And I can't seem to replicate this with 2070 Super.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  15. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I THINK I downloaded the right thing but it made no difference?

16. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    As you wish but he is the creator of AB so I think he can speak to it's operation a little better than you.

17. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    If you are sure you flashed updated bios on your card and nothing changed, trying bios for other cards is the only option I'm afraid

18. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    so perhaps he should be a little more receptive to possible issues then as i said its repeatable and happened more than once many months apart with the same card in 3 different motherboards with 2 different CPUs

19. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Lol listen I have no issue with your work but perhaps you should wind in your neck and actually accept there is possibly an issue, if my Fan behaviour and clock speed change permanently after trying your Tool even after I reset all profiles and reboot then uninstall and reboot ie standard drivers only then that says there is an issue, the only way to resolve it was to uninstall the drivers totally and reinstall and poof normal Temps and fan speed resumed.
    If the above is normal then fine am happy to be wrong but you should look to accept errors or issues if someone has an actual issue, pride comes before a fall as they say

20. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    I had similar behaviour with the normal bios on my EVGA. Using OC bios now so the fans dont switch off. I didn't like the idle temp with fan off mode anyway, went from 50 down to low 30s. I cant even hear it tbh.