Preview: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (XT) and 6900 XT graphics cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 28, 2020.

1. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    In 10 games ? 20 ? how many have it ?

RT is indeed the future, but DLSS... at best "meh".
    Currently I personally don't play ANY of the games that use DLSS.

Fediuld and ZXRaziel like this.
  2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Very impressive.

I hope the availability is there.

When we getting your highly valued verdict on performance HH? :)

3. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    For $50 less, you get same performance, less power consumption and +6GB VRAM. VRAM can be a winning factor in the upcoming years, as both cards target 4K, and Doom Eternal already uses 9 GB on Nightmare settings. How many games use RT? And even RTX 3000 fails to deliver in 4K RT. If you don't care about RT performance, that is a no brainer.

Actually who are you trying to lie to? Who said it would blow NV away?

4. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    This is awesome and I think those 6900xt clocks are conservative as well, based on early reports of 6800 AIB models.

3090 is partly priced around that 24gb because Nvidia knows that customers buy these for AI / ML / data science. For some workflows and ML models, memory size is major a limiting factor. By sticking 24gb on that card, Nvidia now has to keep the 3090 priced higher to keep sales of it from eating too far into the professional market / Quadros.

Fediuld likes this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Prices are higher than I was expecting but at least they're better than Nvidia's MSRP. Since all I currently care about is 3070-level performance, I want to see more about the 6700 and 6600.

As for RT, I'm not interested in paying a higher premium (for either brand) to get that. The visual improvement isn't worth the performance penalty today. Maybe in a few years from, RT won't have such a hefty performance penalty and will be worth the extra cost. Since I use Linux, it's not like I'm going to have access to such things any time soon anyway, so I'll just wait it out.

I don't know anyone who hyped it up that much and had any semblance of credibility. All I've been hearing was doubts that AMD even had anything to defeat the 3080.

sykozis and ZXRaziel like this.
  6. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    The thing is NV advertised it as the best gaming card and the first 8K gaming card. So it might be true, the target was gamers.

7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    More than likely 500$. The 6800x is 75$ cheaper than the 6800xt. 6700xt will likely be 75$ cheaper than the 6800x. Will be interesting to see if they make a 6700x with 12GB at close to 425$ would be very good.

8. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    Well, if you don't care about RT, you'd probably better go with the 6800 non XT. As I said, independent reviews will tell us more. Plus, AMD GPU prices tend to go down a little bit, unlike nVidia.
    In the end, AMD will probably offer much better value (that's why I've only bought AMD these last 20 years :D)

9. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Why they should give you free new tech? Amd is not charity. They need to make some money to pay their thousands of employees. Nvidia is worth their price but amd is so expensive yes? We should stop being delusional customers. Reality needs reasons&facts.

Fediuld likes this.
  10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I must say I am a bit confused with all these Raytracing things. Doesnt have Nvidia have a tech of their own , so they won't use directx12 for that ?

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Driver works as abstraction layer. DX-R is not proprietary nV technology. Only DLSS is, and they can keep it that way as I do not want AMD to adopt visual downgrades mindset for score purposes too.

carnivore and JonasBeckman like this.
  12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    All the games right now are probably not optimized for non RTX cards since it's not relevant for now. With the next gen console supporting ray tracing along with RDNA 2 i assume games released next year will optimize for new AMD cards so i think the real ray tracing test for those cards will be more next year than with the games currently on the market.

13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    What's proprietary is the RT core hardware solution to speed up acceleration structure traversal and generation for ray tracing. From what i've seen from AMD yet it's all software based, done in compute shaders.

14. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    If only the 3090 actually sold for 1500 , not where I can shop ....
    It's all relative , I would love to pay less off course like anyone else but if card A matches the card B in performance , I will buy the one that's cheaper , simple.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Everything looks great and I'm so happy that AMD finally caught up with nVidia but the pricing is a bit off, especially 6900XT which is a few percent faster than 6800XT but costs a whopping $300 more. 6800XT seems to offer best value for the money considering its on par with 3080 but offers more VRAM.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Yeah but ray tracing games are probably using the shaders less no? We will see but i'M not sure the current games on the market will be a good indication of the performance moving forward since those games have not been tested or optimized for this.

XenthorX likes this.
  17. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Without going into too much detail, it is an API chaining that happens.

Game engine makes DXR calls to DX12 -> DX12 (DXR) sends calls to Driver -> Driver understands DXR -> Driver sends calls to Direct RT(AMD) or RTX(nVidia) Hardware

So, games don't call Direct RT or RTX.

I hope this helps.

18. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Another video out with extra information.

Silva and JonasBeckman like this.
  19. k0vasz

k0vasz Active Member

GPU:
    nV GTX1060 6G
    Wow, I definetaly not see THIS coming. Well done, AMD!

Attached Files:

20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    RTX 3070 doesnt look soo good anymore with that shy 8 gigs of ram . It was worth ot wait .

Fediuld likes this.