HD quality stream on PC?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by gmavignier, Oct 17, 2020.

1. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I ususally buy or rent movies for my family on Google Play Movies. I have an Amazon Fire Stick TV on my TV and we watch it there. I usually don't worry about image quality as I know Fire Stick is very slow.

Today I rented a movie to watch on my PC. To my surprise I can only stream it on 480P. As I researched latter, it has something to with wtaching on the browser and HDCP. Is there a software I need to install in order for me to watch it on HD on PC?

Is this only a Google problem, or Netflix and Apple TV on iTunes have that problem as well?

2. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
  3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Afaik, Google Play Movies is fully integrated into Youtube Movies, try watching from that site. Should show the same purchases.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It has nothing to do with the browser or HDCP. It's also not a "Google problem". This is intentional behavior. If you rent or purchase a movie from the Google Play store, using a PC, it will inform you that you can only watch the movie in "SD" on a PC.

Will still only allow playback at 480P on a PC... It actually tells you that when you rent or purchase a movie from Google Play, on a PC....

5. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Oh man! Must be those fine prints I never read. Thanks for the support.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I was hoping that Cyberdyne would be correct about Youtube Movies being able to play in HD, but I tested it before posting and got the same results as playing movies straight from the Google Play store page.

If I watch movies on Amazon Prime Video, they claim to be playing in HD, so the browser isn't a limitation as I'm watching through the same Chrome browser in both instances. My recommendation would be to use Amazon if you want to watch movies on your PC.