AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Takes The Lead in Passmark Single Thread Scores

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 23, 2020.

1. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I'd be happy if they at least match Intel this time around. If they do, I'll happily change to AMD, as I'm due for an upgrade. In fact, I'm kind of counting on it. Haven't owned an AMD system since I got a Core 2 Duo.

2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I haven't owned a AMD CPU since FX8350. I was not pleased and ordered a 4770K right after and moved the FX one to my media center computer at that time, but this gen looks very promising. Will wait for a review from the boss.

3. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    If they are telling the truth about the 19% IPC improvement over Zen 2, then Zen 3 @ 4.3 would be equivalent to Zen 2 @ 5.1Ghz. If Zen 2 has 7% higher IPC than 10th Gen Intel, then 4.3 = 4.6. Zen 3 would push that up to 12%, so equivalent to 4.8Ghz. Now with the max boost being higher, the all-core most likely is as well. So if Zen 3 can get all core boost of 4.5Ghz, it would be equal to 5.0Ghz of Intel. Better still with less power and heat.

entr0cks likes this.
  4. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Still can't believe all intel have is rocket lake. Will be a long downhill for them.

5. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    why are the Fanbois only interested in the clock speed? Obviously they missed out on the Netburst era, who cares if an Intel chip gets 5 or so frames extra in a game you wont notice it, what you will notice is the increased power use and the heat output coupled with he lack of any of the newer tech, honestly some of you guys get all dewy eyed over the magical 5ghz barrier its pointless when the IPC is so much lower, also because consoles are multicore you can bet studios will be adding multicore support to many games and Intel lost the muticore lead a long time ago

fry178 likes this.
  6. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    I would love to see these CPU's release with an RDNA 2 APU option.

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    The reason i'm really liking this chip is it's so powerful yet still only 65w. Match it up with a decent B550 and BINGO High End Gaming on a Budget system maybe for the first time ever your money gets you into a higher bracket of performance than ever before.

fry178 likes this.
  8. entr0cks

entr0cks Member Guru

GPU:
    GV-N660OC-2GD
    Curious about the IPC improvements as well.
    Single core matters for many programs that aren't good at scaling or distributing load, be they games (Arma 3 is just stupid at this) or work tools.
    There's plenty of those out there, if not most. Be it laziness, dev cost benefits, time, skill, process's nature or something else.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I think this is the most probable cenario. The new CPUs are going to match Intel in the worst cases and beat them on the rest. Intel can´t do much more without a new arch to compete.

10. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    This is what I am waiting on as well. I have a P75 Creator with an i9-9880H and it is a friggin furnace.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    time for intel to retire the iX series and it architecture, question is does intel even have new cpu architecture in the work? If the STP hold true then that no longer issue at all for AMD and MTP never was a issue. there perfomance to price ratio is much better then intel.

I keep seeing the AMD this and AMD that and my next system if I actual MAKE new system will be AMD. but gpu price are just getting stupid, among other prices which make me think weather i want to actual keep up with pc tech

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I will honestly get the 5600x. Currently have a 2700x @ 4.2.
    But Im playing 3440x1440 100hz with a 5700x.
    Im not getting a new board or ram for it either.

I had a 2600x, x370,16gb 3000 setup with a vega 56.
    Only reason I bought 2700x was I got it, x470, 16GB 3000 Vengeance RGB pro, h100i rgb pro 280mm for $375. Everything was new condition. And I wanted to give the 2600x setup to my friend who was on a FX 3850 with 10GB ddr3 1333 and RX 570.

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    When the NDA gonna get lifted??? Probably around the 28 together with the RX6000 announcement,

14. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Reviews are supposed to happen on Nov 5th, with the release.

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    10 days to go...

16. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    To people who thinks that a PC CPU is made only to run games, now you should consider AMD right? I just wonder the excuses that will show up. :D

Ps: I know that real performance remains to be seen.

17. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    They don't use the same bins for those. Will use current-gen AMD offering as examples here, the 3xxx series.
    105w 3950x / 3900x - in practice the 3900x almost always uses a few watts more when given the same workload as it's a worse yield.
    105w 3800x / 65w 3700x - You can obviously see why they don't use two 65w 3700x or two 105w 3800x chips to make one 3950x. Nor do they use two 65w 3600x or 3600 chips to make a 3900x / 3900.
    The single-chiplet (not counting IO DIE) chips are higher wattage lower efficiency bins that still clock high enough by themselves, in 65~105w configs.
    The dual-chiplet (not counting IO DIE) chips are lower wattage higher efficiency bins that clock high and sip power, and can fit together with less than a cumulative 105 watt TDP.
    More efficient chiplets go in EPYC or Threadripper depending on the wattage and stable clock speed. The issue with having enough 3950x's at launch was due to the high amount of EPYC / TR chips also being made that demanded the same or better chiplets, and also it somewhat had a niche of the market all to itself + a lot of boards in circulation that could accept it already installed in systems.
    Less efficient chiplets get salvaged to go in quad core or dual-core configurations in a variety of TDP envelopes, often a lot go to OEM's & get put up to be made custom for special large orders (intel does that for XEON chips too, if someone wants enough of your product, you can afford to make it custom).

So basically, the better the bin / more efficient less leaky chiplet, the more money they'll get for it in a higher class chip. It's always worked this way in the past, good chips are even down-marketed sometimes to fill market voids when not enough good chips are selling and the stock for the cheaper chips is gone - intel used to do this often - I had a pentium dual-core e5200 as a second system in 09 that hit 4ghz at 1.2x volts, and of course the d-stepping core i7 920's that we loved. Those chips were good for OC'ing because they were a better bin than normal - just like the G0 SLACR Q6600 (and 6700) processors - which could scream when put on the right intel chipset board.

The 3950x is a great chip and entirely made of awesome when it comes to content creation. I love it so much, and it serves me so well, I refuse to Ebay it while waiting for a 5950x and using a 3700x in it's place until it gets here. Absolutely never going to sell this 3950x CPU. When this CPU dies or is outmoded by better hardware in years to come, I'm going to hang the motherboard and CPU on the wall like a trophy, in the house AMD stocks paid for. I don't even want to sell my 3700x, it's just that good - heck even it's stock cooler is really good at keeping the chip under 80C or so.
    I am one of the guys that built a Haswell system in 2014, and was just-about dying for something to upgrade to... until the 8086K / 8600K / 8700K there wasn't much to upgrade to, but even that wasn't that big of a boost... then AMD came along with 2xxx and 3xxx Ryzen series and put some fire until intel's rear and we got some real progress.
    This is what we waited for, it's happening now, hide your wallets, it's coming for you - the Ryzen 5000 series!

Sure I want a 5950x ... even if it's 'just' 15~20% faster than my chip - but I don't need it, there's nothing the Ryzen 3xxx anything cannot run and run well. It's a luxury, not a need. Still might get one anyways, like the rest of us, I'm subject to the inevitable OOH SHINY / FAST, ME WANT!
    I'll wait for the folks that genuinely NEED them to get their fill first, and get one for myself in the spring.
    Hope y'all have AMD stock.

Good times! --Cheers!

suty455 likes this.
  18. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    not sure on the 5000 series but I have just upgraded my Wifes PC with a 3900x which is auto boosting to 4.8 on liquid thats 200mhz increase just with PBO this bodes very well for the 5000 which is both faster and more efficient with the same power envelopes

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    They are already using a new arch on mobile and i´ve read they are trying to backport it to 14nm for descktop. Don´t know how much of this is really going to happen.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so they are still using old architure on desktop cpu, ? mobile tech mean nothing to me when comes to desktop/pc atlest when it come to cpu/gpu/

Atthis point in time is all about price to performance ratio and AMD is winning that though I seen AMD been raising prices