NVIDIA allegedly cancels GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Icanium likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not cost effective to do clamshell 3080's, they'll wait till 2GB modules are in production next year.

alanm likes this.
  3. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    They'll bring out a 3080 Super and a 3070 Super with more VRAM next year for the refresh no doubt.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Until its not and they back peddle on that rumor as well.

Honestly, someone needs to create a rumor tracker. Ampere had so many false and misleading crap - mostly out of Moores Law is Dead, but others as well. It needs to be tracked and companies that have over a 50% rating - or do things like this, where they back peddle - they need to be called out and banned from discussion.

It's really dumb that they get advertising $ by just shoving random bullshit into the world, where as people like Hilbert, trying to be objective, doing excellent reviews are basically forced to repeat their bullshit in order to compete for clicks.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    In this case it would make sense though, if they do an 3080 super / 4080 on 7nm next year with 20gb vram. But everyone buying a 3080 or 3090 now is gonna feel butt facked.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    actually it never made any sense. to me at least. releasing new lineup 3 months after the original.

1. cos they never did it. and be4 someone says RTX Super - Super cards came ten (10) months after the RTX launch, which is only a tad faster than the usual 12 months half-cycle cadence.
    2. because this would be purely anti-Navi move, allegedly, and Nvidia is first and foremost competing against itself by trying to persuade GTX/RTX owners to upgrade.
    3. sneaky release of double RAM cards after Jensen has just explained that 10 GB is aight for the time being, would cause a shtstorm and then some

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I wrote next year, not 3 months - dunno where you got that from...

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Apart from Moore's Law saying that the 3000 series would have 4x ray tracing performance I didn't hear much else from him. He has even admitted he was wrong about that multiple times, are we also forgetting the Coreteks "co-processor" rumour that had Nvidia using a separate die on the back of the card for ray tracing? He also admitted he wrong too by the way.

If anyone is to blame for false or misleading advertising its Nvidia themselves.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    ya ok... I was going on about that rumor of Nvidia releasing double VRAM 3080/70 in order to spoil RDNA2 launch.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Dude I quoted you in the other thread with like 9 things he said were wrong and it was all from just one his videos. If I went through the rest I can probably double the number. He's just guessing for subs. Coreteks same crap. Videocardz just aggregates all these people's trash. But everyone handwaves it away because out of the 35 things they got wrong, they guess one right and apologize for the others.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Fox2232 and yasamoka like this.

11. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    A lot of people are waiting for all of Nvidia and AMD (both CPU and GPU) dust to settle before, I know I am. I'm not even going to start looking at prices until January.

12. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    ......but if we go further back in time, we can say that the GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 ($299) was released 3 month after GTX 260 ($449).

Noisiv likes this.
  13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    well played. that's a nice find :)

I guess anything is possible, if AMD will be as strong as it had been with $299 HD4870.

Icanium likes this.
  14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The only reason i hope this isn't true is to have a clear and easy showcase as to why 10GB is enough for the next 3-4 years. Other then that, i hope this is true, as people will be needlessly spending more money on something that won't benefit them.

15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    This is possible as coronavirus does affect production, especially for high tech devices that needs inspection. The supply chain is affected at the moment so they probably canceled due to "high demand" = read we cannot get enough products made due to bad forecasting or affected manufacturing.

Better for them to sellout of the existing variations and come back with updated Super and Ti models when they actually have chips to sell.

In either case, AMD may cleanup Q4 earnings and revenue IF they were able to build up supply. This can be a HUGE win for AMD. Let's hope AMD keeps prices reasonable to consumers!!!

Looks at AMD and Nvidia stock portfolio...

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I agree. But higher vram cards can serve Nvidia for marketing purposes at least. AMD is going to milk their 16gb cards to the hilt vs Nvidias 8-10gb cards and will falsely trot out "usage" (allocation) charts of how more is better, not necessarily by performance, just by vram allocation which the masses will mindlessly gobble up.

Fox2232 and Aura89 like this.
  17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Monroe law was correct on most things that's the problem :)

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I can't imagine being this susceptible to disinformation. What's it like to live in that world? It's Moores law is dead, not Monroe's law. You should probably get his name right if you're going to worship him.

This is what he does, it's the same thing that AdoredTV did:

He starts by creating videos, saying a bunch of obvious things that most tech people would know, uses several fancy words to establish credibility, then lays in his own rumors:

• "Cards will be named 3000 series" Woaaah such insight

• "Cards will be faster than 2000 series" Woaaaaaaaaaaaaah

This just some establishing information, then he goes:

• "Cards will be on smaller process" He then proceeds to list every smaller process - In his videos he said cards would be both on 8nm Samsung and 7nm TSMC. So he just covered every possibility. It's not like they can be on anything else. So no matter what he's always 50% right.

• "RT performance will be faster - then proceeds to list specific improvements" - He claimed RT cores would be specifically be 4x times performance per tier, and specifically that it would remove the performance hit while turning it on. In a later video when he backpeddled, he just said "Well I was right about faster RT cores" - Yeah no crap.

• "Cards will get new features" - then proceeds to list specific features like DLSS 3.0, a feature called NVCache, that he specifically said was similar to HBCC and pull data from SSD and DDR as a cache, and Tensor Memory Compression to help with low VRAM. Cards come out and they have none of these. They do have RTXIO, which is not HBCC competitor at all but it uses the word SSD so he goes "See I was right about a feature that uses the SSD" - but at this point in time we already knew about GPUDirect for a year, we already knew the Xbox was doing something similar - yet he still got the specifics wrong.

• "Cards would boost to 2.2Ghz". They clearly don't but they do boost higher - which is what he backpeddles too "Well I knew the clocks were going to get faster"

• "Power consumption is lower per tier"
    _

Then he later creates videos justifying all these things, listing things he was right on:

"Well guys, I was right about the cards being 3000 series, I was right about them being faster. I said some cards would be on 8nm, so I was right about that. I was right about the RT performance being greater. I was right about them getting new features, the cards got RTX-IO which uses the SSD like I said it would and they did get DLSS 2.1, which is only .9 away from DLSS 3.0 so I was right about that too. This new RTX-IO feature also kind of helps in low VRAM situations, so it covers that rumor, I was right there as well. "Cards don't quite hit 2.2Ghz but I bet if they used TSMC like they were originally planning, but you can't prove, that they could hit 2.2
    so I was right about that and they also would have had lower power consumption per tier on TSMC but it's not my fault they didn't use it so in the end I'm right"

Then you sit there and lap that crap up. "Man, Marilyn Monroe's rumors were so correct. I'll conveniently ignore the fact he got all of the specifics wrong but he was correct on most things! Look he said the cards would be faster and they were!!! Look he said the cards would get new features and they did!! Wowwoee"

It's kind of embarrassing people fall for this crap. Especially after AdoredTV, but I guess this is the world we live in now.

AuerX, Aura89, fantaskarsef and 4 others like this.
  19. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Doesn't change a fact that he was right for most things. I don't subscribe him, but he was mentioned here more than few times so i watched few videos .
    Almost all tech videos are made to generate "clicks" so they have click baits in titles ( and half of the content or more) :D

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It literally changes the fact he was right about most things, when he was wrong about almost everything lol..