AMD wants stores to sell a maximum of one RX 6000 video card per customer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 21, 2020.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    But what's stopping someone from ordering on a friends account at a different address?

A M D BugBear likes this.
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    That's the problem with faceless giants like Amazon. Even if Amazon suddenly lost a million customers, it would mean nothing. However, smaller companies care very much and it's normal for them to limit purchases by a single customer, as well as limit pre-orders or other kinds of reservations. Scalpers are lousy customers, unlike regular folks who might come back later if they have been happy with their previous purchases. If it becomes public knowledge that some shop sold its inventory to a scalper, it would partially ruin the shop's reputation, making people badmouth it in forums, price comparison sites, and other such places. Once again, a colossus like Amazon wouldn't care, but small stores are a different thing, in a different position.

panogr likes this.
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well this seems to indicate that AMD also has production problems and that they have a small amount of cards to sell. Good thing i don´t need a new GPU because the situation isn´t looking good on either side.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I hope retailers listen. It's not like they have to put this limit on forever, just do it for a couple of months and then let people buy as many as they want. As far as the retailer is concerned, they'll still sell their entire stock (which is their main concern) so it's in their best interest to appease customers, because then they'll return. Putting a limit is a simple adjustment for a big difference.

Leave it to a scumbag to look at an honest attempt to make potential customers happy and find a reason to get angry about it. Reminds me of the sort of people who get upset over being charged with a hate crime.

I was thinking the same thing.

panogr likes this.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol, I'd like to see them sell less than 1 per customer ;)

Noisiv likes this.
  6. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Which hardly we experience regarding GPU launches. :D Let's hope this will be true this time.

7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this is a good idea...

but i can count the etailers worthy of such trust on one hand.
    Newegg, Amazon, and one or two others.

imho, the real sorting out will be mid November before Black Friday.
    the signs are good that supply should be plentiful, with only customs as a bottleneck (for USA). the ACID TEST is the refilling of secondary ordering into the sales channel.

it's a guarantee that miners and content creators will snap up the first orders from etailers.
    AMD has been down this road before, the last time they were just happy to be there (cash flow y'know) and happy to sell to anyone.
    This time, they have market altering objectives so they'll need more than miners, they'll need hard core gamers. both the Egg and Amazon have features to show when stock (on order) will arrive, this gives people some peace of mind.
    every authorized etailer knows full well the demand levels, let's see if they ordered (from AMD/AIB's) as heavily as AMD will allow.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Scalpers don't hate the manufacturers. They obviously love them, otherwise they would be out of income themselves. However, they still need information to be able to acquire their wares. By leaking the letter, they ensure all scalpers can get ready for a potentially more challenging situation. You'd think one scalper helping another would be stupid, but in reality they aren't all competing, they are from all around the world, so they can share techniques with each other. I bet many of them are just script kiddies, not developing their own tools and methods.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    They would not be doing this without the hindsight of what happened to Nvidia.

10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    They could also ignore it , like Intel ignored fans for many years (and milked them ). They want to use that situation to their advantage, right now it won't be who has the fastest GPU , but rather who has GPU for sale at all, and everything points that amd will be in much better situation than nvidia .

NesteaZen likes this.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well played AMD marketing department, seized the opportunity for good news at no cost or risk whatsoever :D

Maddness and alanm like this.
  12. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    I think keywords from in there are "identify/block known malicious bots". If that list is as long as their known issues from drivers, good luck getting RDNA2 cards in the next few months.

13. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    As it happens in security, you cant avoid being hacked if the hacker wants to F you, but you have to make the gain/time not worth it. If you force every scalper to lose 5/10 min per card bought using whatever means they want or can use. Thats a win.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    MSI was one of the scalpers with the NVidia launch.... Wouldn't be surprised to see them try it again.

panogr likes this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I know e-shops which have this ability and used it in the past for different products. Scalpels are hyenas and they'll suck blood from people in tough times.
    Shops should make limits ready for anything that gets scarce.
    Moral friend? Knowing that person asking is D*.
    Will you ask 50 friends to order 50 cards for you? Will they ask for cut? Suddenly people are in on your dirty practice and then they may actually say no and do it themselves. Or not do it at all.

16. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    All cards will be higher than the msrp. Retailers will take advantage of the limited supply or lack of supply (NV), it's easy $$ for them.

I think it smart for AMD to make the request, but that is all that it is.

NesteaZen likes this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    don't be surprised if amd restricts chips to msi :p

sykozis likes this.
  18. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Lets see how it goes, can't be any worse than nVidias maximum number of zero per order. My nephew ordered a ASUS TUF RTX 3800, when he ordered he was 1840 in the queue, he is now 1007 and has been also month.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    That must be the year 2400, RTX 3800 isnt out yet ;)

You're lucky. I asked Ebuyer in the UK if they could tell us our queue position, I was completely blanked, we have no chance here.
    My original expected delivery date was end of Sept, now with zero information moving forward.
    It isnt going to happen.

I expect to not buy a card until the refresh next year, and it wont be from Ebuyer, useless f***s.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Nothing, but that makes it a pain in the ass if it has to be done one by one manually due to being multiple orders interrupted by gatchas that can't be solved by shitty AI. Gives time for non-scalpers to order some.