ClockTuner for Ryzen (CTR) - and introduction guide and download

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2020.

1. 1usmus

1usmus AMD Memory Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    If you read the guide carefully, you could see that there are many factors that affect stability. The most important enemy is temperature. The second enemy is poor quality VRM (cost does not mean that the motherboard is good). You are also trying to use the load, which is different from the AVX Light. Blender is AVX Heavy. In your case, I advise you to use LLC 3, phase mode Extreme as well as take 25 MHz from all 4 values. This will allow you to have an ultra stable system. If you don't use Blender, you don't need extra frequency penalties.

2. 1usmus

1usmus AMD Memory Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    You forgot to press "APPLY". CTR doesn't know if the user wants to use the profile or if the user just wants to save the profile without using it.

Your opinion does not reflect the reality and working principle of CTR.
    The reboot mechanism is safe for hardware, but not safe for user data that has not been saved. I received more than 1000+ BSOD in the last half a year before the product was released. During this time, no processor or operating system has failed.

But you are right about one thing, you may not use CTR ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    MattyAu and Adam Honved like this.
  3. 1usmus

1usmus AMD Memory Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
  4. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Thanks for the useful and detailed description, it is really cool.
    It will surely help a lot of people. :)

Tim24 likes this.

5. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    1usmus,

1st off, thanks for all the work you've put into this tool.

question for you. on my asus tuf x570-plus, with a (silve sample) 3900x, im currently stable with LLC level 5 (auto1,2,3 resulted in crashes/reboots for me) and the phase control set to "optimized" with CTR1.1b3. however, that seem to be unstable in CTR1.1b4.
    before changing my LLC Level, would changing the phase control from optimal to extreme be a worthwhile test?

thanks again for your hard work! much appreciated to make OCing/undervolting much easier.

6. mibo_ger

mibo_ger Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    I just installed the latest AMD chipset driver package and rebooted.
    Still, the 3300X runs at 3800MHz on all cores when starting the diagnostic run.

old AMD chipset driver package version: v2.04.09.131
    new: v2.10.13.408

Edit: good news: It seems the reason for 3300X problems was identified.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/1usmus/status/1318516878860582913

Thank you 1usmus for looking into this.

ST4H likes this.
  7. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Did as you said and lowered 25MHz on all values, rock stable in Blender. But I have played around some more with frequencies and managed to get it stable even in Blender with CCX1: 4375 CCX2: 4400 CCX3: 4350 CCX4: 4325. However I don't use blender that often so I saved those values on a second profile and for now I'm using the first one with higher frequencies, so far no crashes in games for example or in OS.
    Thanks for your help and just wanted to say that this is awesome piece of software, you are great!

8. varadero69

varadero69 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hola, quiero felicitarte por este enorme trabajo y que compartes con nosotros, tengo una pregunta.
    tengo CTR 1.1 Beta 3 y quiero instalar CTR 1.1 Beta 4, ¿tengo que desinstalar CTR 1.1 Beta 3?
    Saludos.

9. shazzagraz

shazzagraz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700XT
    Can you verify how CTR applies the settings to ensure they are applied with the OS? I have multiple users on my machine each with their own Windows login, would your method ensure that the settings are applied globally for all users or will they only work for the account that has applied the settings in CTR?

10. Adam Honved

Adam Honved Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    Ryzen 5 3600 results here:
    CB20 SC from stock PBO 457 to 527 with CTR. 3600@4550/4525MHz - 1400 mV.
    This was the max I could get, and also didn't tested a lot the SC as it takes forever - so only with my highest reached freq.
    Currently I use it at 4425/4400 @ 1200 mV ~510 points.

11. Stefan Petrov

Stefan Petrov Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE RTX 2060
    First of all thank you 1usmus!

A few challenges i see so far. First of at least for me after my PC exits sleep the profile gets blown and you are back to stock, whatever this is for me only i'm not sure. Because of this, after some testing i noticed that after sleep everything is back to default settings, so i decided to configure all this into the BIOS and be done with it. All good initially, not sure what i tested(i should have done more testing) but i decided it is stable, i noticed that Ryzen Master reports Vcore of 1,099 but nothing was crashing on me and i read that is normal(incorrect VID).

But after some time i started noticing CB20 crashing, some weird behavior so i dig a little bit more and i found that whatever i set in the BIOS for Vcore when i boot is 1.099(if auto all is fine) and i verified this with HWiNFO the same thing is reported all over the place, CB20 i crashing, some time i get BSOD. If i do apply the setting from Ryzen Master or CTR stability is back until sleep or reboot.

I'm with 3900X and GIGABYTE X570 Auros Ultra. Initially i was on F10 Bios than i switched to F12. I also cleared my memory OC and i'm running on stable XMP(also lower fclk to 1800 from 1867). No difference, the stupid Vcore settings doesn't want to hold it is just 1,099.

Any ideas? I have a halfway workaround for applying the profile at boot not using sleep but i hate when i cannot figure out what is going on :).

12. Eyemaster

Eyemaster Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080OC
    Both v1.1 beta 3 and 4 crash after completing a run right when it opens the website with results. Version 1.0 beta 3 worked fine for me in the past. I have the latest chipset drivers and BIOS. Using a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master and 3900X. Here are the errors from event viewer:

Faulting application name: CTR 1.1.exe, version: 1.1.0.4, time stamp: 0x5f8dff49
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.572, time stamp: 0x1183946c
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000023e49
    Faulting process id: 0x60a0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d6a70dc6369067
    Faulting application path: D:\Drivers\AMD\CTR 1.1 beta 4\CTR 1.1.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 3af84236-b9df-4952-ac9d-4cf03584bb61
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: CTR 1.1.exe, version: 1.1.0.4, time stamp: 0x5f8dff49
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.572, time stamp: 0x1183946c
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000023e49
    Faulting process id: 0x60a0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d6a70dc6369067
    Faulting application path: D:\Drivers\AMD\CTR 1.1 beta 4\CTR 1.1.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 2a88aca9-0da2-4ea0-8465-69dc4fa64b5e
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

And this error was also in event viewer related to .NET:

Application: CTR 1.1.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException
    at System.Drawing.Image.FromHbitmap(IntPtr, IntPtr)
    at System.Drawing.Image.FromHbitmap(IntPtr)
    at System.Drawing.Icon.BmpFrame()
    at System.Windows.Forms.ThreadExceptionDialog..ctor(System.Exception)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.OnThreadException(System.Exception)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProcException(System.Exception)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

13. JCL

JCL Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT TAICHI
    I was able to lower my voltage from 1.45v to 1.356v and raise my core speed from 4500 to this. I have not tried the beta 4 yet. I have cb20 and Superposition scores in the proper threads. Haven't uploaded 3dMark scores yet. My scores improved substantially with the CTR, especially since they were about as high as I could get with what I have. Both prior versions worked great, thanks for the effort and sharing.

Attached Files:

14. Kinetic_BLR

Kinetic_BLR Guest

GPU:
    1660 ti
    Thanks a lot for the guide it really helped!
    I've found the point where it didn't apply profile on Win start, though I clicked Update -> Apply and had Autostart = true.
    As the last step I clicked Minimize -> restarted Win and profile was not applied.

So instead of Minimize you need click EXIT CTR. I guess this is the trigger to store settings. Then restart Win and CTR will autostart and profile will be preloaded.

15. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Hmm this is getting better. :)

4425 MHz @ 1250 mV is pretty good.

diag.JPG

Tim24 likes this.

16. 1usmus

1usmus AMD Memory Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    To work correctly, you need an account with the highest privileges, otherwise CTR will not be able to start. CTR works only in the account where it was registered.

Right, the trigger is at the time of CTR closing. It is at this point that autoload is registered and some settings are saved.

NightWind likes this.
  17. 1usmus

1usmus AMD Memory Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    AMD still has problems getting out of sleep. I know about it, but at the moment I can't offer anything.

Stefan Petrov likes this.
  18. shazzagraz

shazzagraz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700XT
    Thanks for confirming. I actually had some spare time this afternoon so decided to run beta 4 and do some more testing. I found that the profile auto loads perfectly on my user account every time, but not on the other accounts. I'm not going to fuss about it though as the kids (the other users) wouldn't even know any different anyway.

Thanks for your work on this project!

19. Max(IT)

Max(IT) Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX3080 Holo
    do you confirm that to upgrade the existing setup to the new beta4 we still just have to replace the .exe file on the existing folder ? Or do we need some other files ?

Thank you

20. Max(IT)

Max(IT) Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX3080 Holo
    yep.
    The trick was EXIT CTR.
    I discovered it by myself ;)

Adam Honved likes this.