Prices of SSDs and DRAM will continue to fall in the fourth quarter

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 16, 2020.

1. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    What you are saying is true if you are on 20mbit connection maybe or lower , if i dont need something i just remove it and redownload later ?

2. Jujubee

Jujubee Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1060/6GB
    They have been saying this for quite some time now. Yet prices in my area here haven't budged a single cent.

anticupidon likes this.
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    As I said in the announcement thread, the after-annoucement video thread, the PS5 thread, many other threads and now; this thread:

Stop comparing current storage capacities based on what you perceivably believe life will be like on the PS5 or even, the xboxytrashcanairpurifierseriesxsx.

New consoles and game engines will be using realtime and, that means the requirements of storage for a game will be lessened significantly.

No more lightmaps!
    No more shadowmaps!
    No more normalmaps!
    No more LOD models!
    No more pre-baked levels!
    Better compression!

No firing at you, I'm aiming at all who (for no logical reason) take a look at what they got and pass judgement. Not cool, and - it's a logical fallacy.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    these will still exist.

Prince Valiant likes this.

5. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Everything will be real time this time for real, we swear!

6. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Minimum 10 years away, or two console generations, assuming there are no more snags in EUV process technology.

GPUs that are at least 20 times more powerful than today's 3080+ are needed for actual real-time raytracing at Full-HD / 4K resolution with all the detail in place.

You have to realize that current raytracing is using very few rays per frame, without that AI based de-noising/interpolation it looks like crap.
    [​IMG]

And this is in a very old game with very low-polygon simple objects and textures.

The more detailed objects are the more ray intersections need to be computed, and today's GPU raytracing is simply not powerful enough for real-time, full-detail frames. Far, far from it.

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I don't see problem with 100mb+ connection which is like standard now .

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Only to dumb developers.

Unreal Engine 5 disagrees with you.

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Yea, and magic is real.

Casting my spell now:
    Ignoramus Userius !

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    You keep saying but fail to realize they more then likely say hey "we have more space to work with"

PS5 drive is entirely to small and i not will put buy 500$ system then pay another 400$ to have the same space I have now. Games are not gona get small there might get smaller in the begin but they will just bloat up again cause they space saved from that stuff will just be used for something else.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, every developer.

Infinite Detail is a pipedream, you still need to step down content in the distance or you're just burning cycles on things you can't even see.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I get your point, but that is not correct - what makes more sense is this: it will mean they no longer have to do optimisation for levels and maps, which will save months off development time.

If it saves them time, it saves them money, if it saves them money; they will do it.

So...

Please understand my point - if they are smart, they are using DX12U, run their own engine (or use UE5), and as such can use mesh shaders.

You can literally render instances of the same mesh, with multiple configurations, all with one draw call - so what you really need is a super-duper memory retrieval system, say, one that has access to efficient solid state memory?

Both new consoles will have this, in varying degrees, but PS5 has the edge, so the performance is really down to how much can be pushed through into VRAM from the storage.

Mesh shaders alone will not do this, but it's really the main point in question I think from you? A raw polygon/detail level objection?

The command is something along the lines of 'hey, you remember that polygon you are rendering over there? Render the same at these locations, too - but give them all a different paint job, thanks!'.

One draw call, versus, one draw call for each instance.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it not gona stop them from use more space for the games and other programs though which what you are forgeting. 30+ years of gaming games and other programs have NOT got smaller they got BIGGER every chance they got cause they had more room on disc to play with. it happened with Cartridge to CD and CD to DVD and DVD Bluray and now Bluray to Ultra Bluray. They will FIND new uses for that space it been like that since day one and if will continue... if that wast the case they would not be making 4 8 12 tb drive and in 10 years time will we have 100tb drive if not more, cause the never ending need for MORE SPACE and more space we get the MORE space is used by stuff

Games are gona get bigger no mater what you think they been "releasing" tech and other features for decades to "reduce" space use but the oppisite happens cause THEY HAVE MORE SPACE to work with

I remeber when GPU drivers and sound drivers were 5mb if that, now they easily 1gb, this DX12U stuff insta gona change that it my reduce space required in short term till they START using more again.

you kidding your self if you think that it will stop games or programs from bloating past 100gb mark. as thing get more complex and more soficaticated so does the code and there it size

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I get it, but you've got ubisoft and indies to contend with that have probably never heard of it.

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I'm pretty sure they have heard of saving millions of dollars in dev costs, though.