AMD Ryzen 5000 Mobile Lineup Leaks and shows Good Performance Boosts

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    INTEL: we probably should start decorating our grave now.

AMD: here's a new ryzen so you stay down

anticupidon likes this.
  3. TOMPPIX

TOMPPIX Member

GPU:
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7870 XT
    this is sooo stupid. your average customer is not gonna know the difference between zen 2 and zen 3. first the price increase and now this. bet you my ass they will not let you overclock the non x versions to the same speed as the x version desktop cpus.

Undying likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why zen2 amd, why? Like its not already confusing.

5. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I thought the reason they skipped the 4000 series was to not confuse with the 4000 series Zen 2 APU and Mobile processor. And then, they release 5000 series APU and Mobile processor with a mixed of Zen 2 and Zen 3? seriously?

schmidtbag likes this.
  6. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    At least it's interesting enough and not boring.
    Not planning to buy any amd mobile cpus in the near future, but I guess if someone is interested, it's not a big deal to ask or read a little bit.

7. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    Well, someone has a few Zen 2 cores in their stock that need selling :).
    They probably decided to change naming schemes after the Zen 2 SKUs finished the production stage.
    Or they're just going to sell them way cheaper to those who don't really care about the architecture.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  8. Sith

Sith Member

GPU:
    GTX EVGA 1080TI SC2
    I think they are recycling/using their ZEN 2 cpu stocks and labelling them 5xxxx series, pretty much all semi-conductors use this promotion scheme.

9. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    No RNDA2, no good. Will have to wait for 6000U.

10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD uses 5000 name to clear up confusion with released APUs.
    Two weeks later finds a way to screw up their naming again.

chanw4 and Undying like this.

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Just normal AMD rebranding going on.

Just dont buy the odd numbered versions, done.

12. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    If true the difference between the Ryzen 7 5700u and Ryzen 7 5800u will be bretty big and 99% of consumers wont realise the difference between the model numbers.

Not cool AMD.

13. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    not necessarily. The 6 core 5500u will be faster in multithread loads than the 4-core 5400u zen3 part. The 5600u will beat the 5500u in everything. The 5700u will -probably- beat the 5600u 6-core in multithread. The 5800u will beat 5700u in everything.

The Zen 2 APU's are also SUPER competitive already against intel and already meet or beat them in battery life. The Zen 2 parts will also come with a significantly lower price from the Zen 3 parts.

Ultimately all people are complaining about is the name with the associated core arch. If you get a lower number SKU, you pay less money, and you get less performance. You pay more, you get more.

I don't see a problem with the naming AMD decided on. Yes the arch's are different, but it boils down to price and performance. Who cares how it achieves it?

14. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    Why Zen2 inside the lineup with Zen3 and same name???
    It gets even more confusing then than it is now, with APU's having other name... wth AMD!?

15. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Do you think zen2 is worthless because zen3 is out? Do you know how many people buy pentium grade laptops?

Look i tell you a secret, how 99.5% of mobile cpu get sold.
    In big tech shops, where they sell hoovers, tvs and laptops, people come and ask `i need a notebook`. The shop worker show them whatever they have available and give them. Maybe zen+. Buying is decided by price and availability, as long as the 5800 is faster than the 5700, we are all good.
    Most important factors are the screen and the ram, because people come and say i want 8 gigs.

I do not see any big difference between zen2 and zen3, being the difference on similar specs only IPC, we think it will be 15% faster, that is a fine difference between 2 different models.

Then we have the 0.5% left. The geek person that wants the latest cpu, well she/he is gonna choose the laptop carefully, and won't find it. Because of all models that will have the 5800U or the 5600U, just some will have the screen you want, the disk you want, the ram you want. And when you find it, maybe you do not like the brand or the chassis.

Please stop complaining for the sake of complaining, here the model numbering is clear, you can get 2 mobile 8 core, one with the current zen 2 and one with the zen 3. For a 15% speed increase and we do not know what price.

tunejunky likes this.

16. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Why the f u c k did they skip 4000 for desktop if they're introducing Zen2 in mobile for 5000 anyway? For f u c k sake AMD!

17. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    It's not about if Zen 2 is out of date or not, it's about confusing the end user by rebranding. Zen 2 should have stayed at the 4xxx naming and Zen 3 at the 5xxx naming. Having to look up the part numbers to work out which core you are buyiong is stupid.

doorspaulo likes this.
  18. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    literally nobody cares about the naming convention. its just a name. let the product speak for itself.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    When I saw the headline I was thinking "they did it! They finally did it! They released mobile products with the same generation on the same series as their desktop models!" aaaand then they pull this crap, which is quite possibly even more stupid than what they did before. At least in previous generations, mobile products were consistently 1 generation behind. Now this is just more confusing.

And like others said... what was the point of skipping 4000 in desktops if they were just going to introduce Zen2 in 5000 anyway?

tunejunky likes this.
  20. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Is more about do not confuse the end user with zen 2 and zen 3.

5000U is moar than 4000U is all the user wants to know.