Upgrade is in order. i7 3930k -> ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Chess, Jan 1, 2020.

1. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    The new PC encouragement was only really to @Chess .
    Your PC is just dandy bud, I don't blame you for not wanting to upgrade. Besides, if you got it new, they cost a pretty penny so I can't blame you for getting the most out of your purchase. I would have been a hypocrite anyways because I got 4.5~5 years out of my 4790k machine from 2014.
    Only the newer interfaces would justify upgrading and ONLY THEN if you needed them, so keep enjoying your paid-for PC just as I enjoy my paid-for Corolla.
    --Cheers

Chess and mbk1969 like this.
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @bobblunderton

Since my English is not that good, I got the feeling that you compare my rig with game console. It is almost true. I am just lucky to have profession which needs no workstation level rig. My professional tool - MS Visual Studio - works fine even on Braswell (next Atom) with 4 cores (one of my work rigs). So I do not need to upgrade home rig for professional reasons.
    Our preferences consist mostly from previous experience. I work on PCs since 1991 and I had much more bad experiences (not with AMD CPUs but) with AMD chipsets - memory/SATA/USB controllers comparing with Intel ones.

(Update: Probably I should restrain myself to not post in this thread.)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    386SX likes this.
  3. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    No, your PC is not game console. I do content creation on mine here, so yes, there's lots of professional uses for PC's. Let's not bring back the horrors that was late-90's to mid 2000's VIA and SIS chip sets.

4. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    i9 9900k, great cpu.

5. oscare30

oscare30 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Have you installed any of the patches INTEL released for Spectre and or Zombie-load? have you noticed any significant degradation ?

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I update Windows regularly, I do not force any mitigations - so Windows has them in default state.
    I have not noticed any degradation.

7. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    @OP, buy a good CPU cooler and overclock it. 780Ti still play fine and I have 2 780Ti in SLI, but on a 6700K. The 3930K overclocked to atleast 4600MHz, unless your unlucky.

8. Tanquen

Tanquen Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7970 - R7970-2PMD3G
    I've been waiting to upgrade mine for what feels like ages. My ASUS x79 deluxe added the m.2 NVMe boot in the last or next to last bios update. I've been running off of two terabyte m.2 NVMe drive for a while now and it does make a noticeable difference when compared to a SATA SSD in booting some things and running a number of VMs. After 8 years or so there still is really not a reason to upgrade. Mine's water cooled and locked at 4.3 gigahertz since day one and I remember I had to underclock it till like 2 point something before I saw a frame rate hit on my video card at the time and I'm guessing even if I had a 3080 I'd not see much difference.

9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Check this video

quite interesting :)

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Interesting is how did he manage to run Horizon with i7 920 without avx instructions.

11. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    There is way to bypass it , just google.

Undying likes this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Oh, didnt know that. :)

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    intel sde is slow, this video is fake, hes used a terrible algorythm to simulate what he thinks the performance would be.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  14. Xman01

Xman01 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3050
    When I played BFV regularly I could definitely tell when the spectre and meltdown patches were enabled. I used the tool from Gibson Research to disable them. Also, I didn't update my bios either. I have a 7700 non k so more powerful or overclocked processors would probably show a lot less of an effect.