New Upcoming ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Cant utilize all cuda cores when they share int and fp in one.

2. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    You might want to check any Guru3D review, diagrams included.

3. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    What is "jebaiting" anyway, by the way? What happened to "trolling"?

Apparently I've been living under a rock...

Serotonin and Noisiv like this.
  4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So this one? Where you have int and fp sharing? That is what doubled the cores for fp. But you will need int for games so no getting around not being able to utilize more and more

Screenshot_20201010-225027.jpg

5. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Per @OnnA wish let's avoid posting non-related info in this thread.
    You currently need some int for games, but in the future will likely to use different ratios to better utilize gpu potential.
    Int32 is about 1/4 of current ingame operations (2018 Turing slide); theory is when int32 is dormant can be used for floating point. Game dev's will need to initiate this potential, but we should get a better idea regarding the theory with the 3070.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It's a stupidest theory known to man swallowed whole by stopidest people on the planet.
    Supposedly it all started with AMD announcing upcoming 5700XT at $450 and "jebaiting" Nvidia into pricing their Super cards 2070S at $500. At which point AMD lowered their 5700/XT cards by $50 - GOT YOU NVIDIA. Now we will be earning full $100-150 less than what NV does on 2070 Super<--- Jebaited. As if Nvidia couldn't change their pricing same as AMD did - stuff of legends i tell ya.

This 7-dimensional chess grandmaster stroke was so successful that in upcoming quarters AMD GPU division barely made any money as always, but more notably managed to drop to something like 20% market share.

AuerX, Valken, pharma and 1 other person like this.
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Trolling is being an D*.
    Jebaiting is distraction/diversion which may lead to opposition doing something stupid... looking like a fools later.

@Ryu5uzaku : I did calculate increased performance of SM based on average INT to FP ratio in games (nVidia sourced ratio).
    It resulted in Ampere SM needing 30.556% fewer cycles required to complete same work as SM in Turing. (Or theoreticaly ~1.44 times faster SM.)

Apparently, since FP blocks in SM doubled, actual performance increase per FP looks worse. But their design practically guarantees theoretical 100% utilization of all blocks as long as INT workload is smaller than FP workload. (So, Turing design is not bad one.)

But question remains: "Is actually GPU able to feed those blocks properly?"
    Caches, Data being ready in time, scheduling, ...

But what matters in Turing => Ampere transition is actual performance per transistor per clock.
    Therefore as long as Turing performs better at same clock while both architectures invest same amount of transistors into SMs, it is better architecture as it provides better performance for same investment.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD's RX 6000 series GPUs will feature AV1 Hardware Acceleration - Microsoft Confirms

A recent blog post from Microsoft has confirmed that AMD's delivering AV1 hardware acceleration with their RX 6000 series of graphics cards, enabling faster, more power-efficient, decoding of AV1 content.

With the AV1 codec, video can be encoded with a 50% larger compression ration than H.264. This allows video files to become smaller without any additional quality loss.
    This not only makes video files smaller, but it also allows video streaming services to deliver higher quality video streams using weaker internet connections.
    Shifting this decoding work from software to hardware makes the decoding process more power-efficient, increasing the battery life of mobile devices and power draw of mains connected systems.

Microsoft has confirmed that Nvidia's RTX 30 series of Ampere graphics cards, Intel's 11th Gen Core Processors with Xe graphics, and AMD's Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs all support AV1 hardware-accelerated decoding.
    When used with Windows 10 build 1909 or newer, PC users will be able to utilise the AV1 video extension, which is available on the Microsoft Store as a free download.

In time, more and more streaming services are due to start using AV1 video. YouTube and Twitch are already working to support the standard, and Netflix has already rolled out AV1 streaming support to users of selected Android devices.
    Facebook has also expressed interest in AV1 video.

With AV1, video streams can either aim for higher image quality levels while using the same bandwidth as before or opt to utilise less bandwidth while delivering the same quality levels as before. In the latter case,
    AV1 has the potential to dramatically decrease the bandwidth requirements of video streaming services, placing less strain on broadband networks and the services of video stream providers.

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD Project Quantum Resurfaces in the Latest Patent Listing

AMD Project Quantum has been quite a mysterious product. While we knew that is was an ITX sized, water-cooled case that would feature an Intel CPU with AMD GPU, we never knew if it was coming or not.
    Featuring a unique, two-chamber design, AMD managed to develop two sections, where one is used for all the compute components, and the other one contains the radiator and fan for dissipating the heat produced by the compute chamber.
    Four years ago, we got the news that the project isn't dead and that it will get an update with AMD's upcoming Zen CPU and Vega GPU back then. However, since that announcement, there was no word on it.

Until today. Thanks to a Twitter user PeteB(@Pete_2097) who found a newly listed patent, the hope of Project Quantum is not yet dead it seems.
    On September 15th, AMD filed a patent for the Project Quantum, now protecting the unique design and possibly saving it for some time in the future.
    It is almost certain that the company has not abandoned the project, and it could be just waiting for the right time to launch it.

[​IMG]

holeindalip and fantaskarsef like this.

11. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Need my daily RDNA2 fix...
    [​IMG]

Fortunately --- Lisa Su to the rescue !
    https://twitter.com/LisaSu/status/1315648926993854466

"
    Thanks for all the excitement from our fans who joined us last week to launch @AMDRyzen
    5000 series. I look forward to seeing all of you again on Oct 28th as we show off our “Big Navi”,
    @Radeon
    RX 6000 series !!
    "

Oh and Paul from RGT too, BIG(ger) Navi (than teased) // confirmed?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    holeindalip likes this.
  12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    May as well just mention that the card used for benching was the RX6800XT. So yeah, we have 6900XT and 6900XTX above those performances. Unfortunately, it also seems AMD is following NVIDIA's pricing scheme.

13. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    amd can't follow those prices without same RT performance and without something like DLSS
    same story 5700XT vs 2070s

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well they can follow to certain degree. If RT is roughly the same. DLSS then again is argumentative as it's not available in all games anyway while it is a pretty good thing.

I am actually looking to buy myself a rdna2 more rn since I am just mehd by nvidias 3000 launch.

15. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    There's no doubt about it, this has been one of the worst launches ever, if not the worst. The only saving grace is the performance, other than that, not much else to say.

16. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    IMHO ///
    AMD will have a technology similar to DLSS.... I call it RDLSS internally....
    Will offer better performance, will be easier to implement but... on the downside won't offer the same quality as NV (well... depending on the quality setting... at least not in the highest quality (lowest difference between the real res and upscaled res)).

holeindalip likes this.
  17. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    New day, new details about RDNA2 from Paul at RGT >

So basically the strongest SKU // as I have also told --- depending on the title - on pair, slightly faster or slightly below 3090, RTX performance lower than Ampere (not told by how much, my assumption --- still better than the 20xx-series) etc.

18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Seems he's "confirming" my leak that the benches were done on a RX 6800XT. :)

19. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Thats really nice performance if true. Competiton is great in the high end.

holeindalip likes this.
  20. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    So... according to Patrick Schur (unfortunately I don't know this source) the BIG NAVI (NAVI 21XT) would clock up to 2.4 GHz as the gaming clock.
    "
    Navi 21 XT
    16GB GDDR6
    255W TGP
    ~2.4 GHz (Game Clock)
    "
    https://twitter.com/patrickschur_/status/1317527480866144257?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

And there is still a bigger navi (XTX) there.
    So... I don't trust this source BUT if true then we are again speaking about --- 6900XT slightly faster than 3080 but slower than 3090, and the presumed 6900XTX slightly faster or on par with 3090.
    TGP is only the GPU side or the "lower" variant. Add 40-50 Watts for RAM and the VRM loss, as GDDR6 is not that power hungry as GDDR6X. So TDP roughly about 300W for the high end.
    More and more sources report similar stuff that I have been telling over and over again.... should play lottery maybe :rolleyes::D
    Will be an interesting fight between AMD and NV!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020