Alleged Intel Alder Lake CPU photo surfaces online

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    An interesting approach hope this plays out well for Intel maybe even some Xe cores too

3. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    os needs to learn how to choose the right cores

4. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super

5. Bo Alenkaer

Bo Alenkaer Member

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @2101
    I seriously doubt that Intel can make PCIe 5 work already. They could not even make PCIe Gen 4 work for 10th Gen CPU´s. The extra pin count is needed for DDR5's high transfer rate. They will probably have at least 350-400 pins per Dimm.

Luc likes this.
  6. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    They will need more space for mixing too many things and different architecture chiplets, including those 8 bigger hotter cores.

There will be a tremendous change in everything, and I'm afraid I don't wan't to be a beta tester of new DDR 5, PCIE 5, Big Little, etc.

I'll try to go for the last DDR 4 architecture with Zen 3 and the second generation DDR 5 on mobile with nice drawing screen whatever, maybe when they'll have right prices... :(

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I fail to understand your point.

First time I learn about this High efficiency + High performance symbiosis for PC. We have it on phones and it's great, if it works correctly.
    As stated before, OS needs to learn when to use what and for what applications. The software side is still so late compared to the hardware, I'm certain Linux will master this much faster than Windows ever will.
    And we need software to improve to see any benefits from this.

Great to see Intel trying to push new things, next couple years will be interesting for sure!

Luc likes this.
  8. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    A metaphor for more heat.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I just realized but, I know that a large chunk of these pins are for voltage and ground. The thing is, why not just make those as a big plate, instead of a pin? I imagine that would help make things simpler, cheaper, and more reliable. It would also be pretty much impossible to mistake the direction the CPU should be installed.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The idea that PCI-E 4 is only for GPUs is a really dumb take, even for you.

11. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Most of the extra pins are for additional power/ground capacity. Only small portion is dedicated for the I/O signal overhead.

12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I wish Intel would have logical names for their cpu like core 1st gen, core 2n gen, core 3rd gen and so on instead of rocket lake, magical lake, fairy lake, i don't know wtf this lake is anymore ...

13. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    So they are finally preparing to move to a smaller fab process but CPU is getting bigger.
    Kind of irony.

14. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Sad thing about this statement is Intel skipped it and their mobos still seem to have a premium in the majority of cases where as u have the option to take it or leave it with AMD.

As for this little big design I really want to see how this is going to be leveraged I can see mobile benefiting from it but I fail to see a real use for it for the vast majority of desktops. Just seems like it will fill some kind of a niche.

15. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I agree, it's annoying. I've still stuck with Intel, mostly for gaming performance and familiarity, but its things like this that keep stacking up against them. When single threaded performance is worse, and multi-threaded, and the cost is higher, etc it will become really hard to stomach sticking with them.

16. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Different size probably need new heatsink.

So if you are on gen 10, you will have to change everything. Just a year after.

Or stay on amd.

17. p1stov

p1stov Member

GPU:
    nvidia palit 560 2GB
    PCI-E 4 is not just for GPU, but any component you can connect to PCI slots even the new NVME generations that have speeds of 5000mb/s

18. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Why would you stick with them? They aren't your local football team or anything like that.

I've got both Intel and AMD systems depending on the use case or what's lying around.

It's a sad fact that my Xeon 1680v2 is equal to any Ryzen 1st gen CPU in single core perf. It's taken Ryzen 3000 to catch Intel in single core and now Ryzen 5000 is going to take the lead. It's just hardware, having a tribal attitude towards it won't benefit you and your use case.

carnivore and sykozis like this.
  19. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Because I said "when", I will still take my 10700K over any other currently available AMD chip for my primary workload with this system -- gaming.

20. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    I had to stay with intel because its price.

On some countries 3300x is impossible to find or way overpriced. Similar for 3600. Also can buy cheaper and more featured motherboards (sadly crippled by intel, but still)

Everyone want amd now. And prices are reflecting that.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020