MSI PCI-E 4.0 Motherboards For Speed Ascending

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    MSI have just released a PR to share some of the notable test results of their PCI-E 4.0 motherboards with the Samsung 980 Pro SSD. Normally not something we'd post, but check that last DiskMark resu...

MSI PCI-E 4.0 Motherboards For Speed Ascending

NightWind and Lily GFX like this.
  2. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    I keep forgetting my MSI motherboard have one of those add-on card and that I should actually use it. ^^
    After seeing those results maybe I should try get a couple PCI4 gen NVMe next year anyhow since I do
    use Vegas Pro often. Not sure if I will raid them thou since I could use the space. :>

3. Wanya

Wanya Guest

GPU:
    ATI
    raid 0 does not loose space it only speeds up and all data is gone if one ssd breaks so external backup is adviced

Lily GFX and nosirrahx like this.
  4. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    You know what impresses me the most about those RAID 0 results? Its the fact that 4KQ1T1 was not impacted all that much on the read side and actually improved on the write side.

Asus as well. Here are 4 905P in RAID 0 via Asus's 4X card:

[​IMG]

Things are going to get very interesting once we have some reasonably priced PCIe 4 SSDs with next gen random read/write. Sequential speeds have exploded sine the 550 we had with SATA III but random read/write has not enjoyed the same growth at least in NAND world.

Lily GFX likes this.

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I just took a quick look around it looks like the best scores for the 860 Evo in CDM are 560 for sequential read and 48 for 4KQ1T1 read.

Contrast that with the 980 and the best you see ins 7150 for sequential read and 88 for 4KQ1T1 read.

This means that we have achieved a 12.75X in sequential read performance while only a 1.83X in 4KQ1T1 read performance.

Even a single 905P Optane drive with an OCed CPU and mitigations disabled (both important to max out Optane) only gets you to 280 4KQ1T1 read, a 5.83X over SATA.

Lily GFX likes this.
  6. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I have neither the need nor will I ever have the need for this kind of speed.......but still I WANT IT! :)

Lily GFX likes this.
  7. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    Sorry my mistake you are right, I was thinking raid 1^^

Very nice result there^^
    Kinda hope reasonably priced PCIe 4 SSD/NVMe will appear soon too and you are right about the random read/write I also hope those will improve soon.

I think AMD still have some work to do with their raid solution, but Intel do this very well already. Hopefully they are more even there too soon.
    Maybe we will see more improvemet on random read/write when they are close to same performance on everything. ^^

8. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Hmm some pretty good speeds there.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Go with a SATA boot drive and then opt for software RAID for your workloads. Firmware RAID is often pretty crappy, over-complicated, and not easily portable if you need to replace your system. Really, the only reason for firmware RAID these days is if you intend to boot Windows (and specifically Windows) from it. Going NVMe doesn't make a drastic difference for loading software either, which is why I suggest you cheap out on SATA for booting. Though if you really want to squeeze every last bit of performance into your system, you could do a separate NVMe drive for booting too.

As a bit of a tangent, hardware RAID also doesn't seem especially useful in workstations anymore either. CPUs via software RAID are fast enough to pretty much obsolete them.

Lily GFX likes this.
  10. Freitlein

Freitlein Member

GPU:
    VII
    A clever drive and file arrangement and, as a result, a backup that is much easier to organize is generally a must. To think that a Raid0 is more dangerous than a single drive is theoretical nonsense in my opinion.
    I started to use 'mainboard controlled' Raid0 in my all in one workstations a long time ago (even as system-drive with multiple system-partitions) in addition to various other internal and external drives.. 2 x 256 GB HDD's -> 2 x512 GB HDD's -> 2 x 2TB HDD's -> + 2 x 512 GB SSD's. All drives was working far more than 50 000 hours. For single SSDs with two drives in a Raid0 for example, it even means writing only half of the data. (theoretically)
    In my mind the most Windows systems are that bad (mainstreamish) configurated that this and a Raid0 does not matter anyway. ;)

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The only practical use-case of RAID0 is for heavily demanding sequential reads and writes. That being said, I find the use of it very niche, since with modern NVMe speeds, there aren't too many applications that have such heavy throughput. The only thing I can think of that might actually saturate a PCIe 4.0 M.2 drive is high-speed + high-res cameras.
    Otherwise, you'll actually likely lose performance if you RAID0 SSDs, due to the additional processing to stripe the data.

If what you really need is just one gargantuan disk, JBOD is a better choice, since it is less complex and I think (I maybe mistaken) if a drive fails, you don't lose everything.

12. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    My understanding is that for games Rand 4k Q1 T1 is what matters since you can't defrag SSD's and data gets shuffled around to extend the drive's life.
    Also no news from Nvidia when RTX I/O is gonna get enabled ....

13. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    For the sort of money you`d need to spend for a system capable of running that many drives i dont think that any budget minded pc gamer will see that sort of performance until we get more lanes on consumer cpu/motherboards without having to compromise greatly on how many storage media you can run.

14. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    When you see something like this it is usually 4 M.2 drives on a single card in a 16X slot running in 4X4X4X4 mode. This by definition requires 4 SSDs, an add in card and a motherboard + CPU that supports bifurcation and a lot of PCIe 4.0 lanes so yes, not even close to budget minded.

4 SSDs in RAID would not be for gamers anyway, that would be better suited for editing massive files and also requires a lot of RAM to make use of all of that data you are pulling from storage.

RAID 0 also loves GHZ, especially when you have 4 SSDs in RAID. All in all you have to check a hell of a lot of boxes to take advantage of insanely fast storage.

For the average Joe/Jane a 250GB 980 Pro + 2TB Crucial BX500 is more than enough fast storage and comes to $250, not a bad $ for storage in an upper midrange gaming system.

15. willgart

willgart Member

GPU:
    nvidia
    nice, this will improve the FPS in games!!!
    no? ;-)

16. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    Not really. If you have plenty of RAM then it won't affect fps but loading times. It might increase min fps and lower stuttering in situations where there is not enough RAM.
    More and more games are using texture streaming, this is true for a lot of open world games but as long as the data is in RAM before it is needed you should not see any difference in min fps or any stuttering.
    Nvidia RTX I/O would improve FPS in CPU limited scenarios as it offloads some of the work to the gpu.
    So far no game that i know of is using RTX I/O.

17. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Is the rtx i/o a 3xxx thing or is it 2xxx compatible, given the poor supply of 3xxx is there any point in using this tech atm....its a bit of a pi$$ take.....heres a new feature for you....but you`ll have to wait until we make the gpu`s.

18. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    Actually RTX IO will support 30xx RTX and 20xx RTX GPUs, it supposed to be added next year
    when Microsoft adds DirectStorage to Windows 10.
    I think the new Xbox have it already, my guess Microsoft delayed it on purpose so their new Xbox
    perform better on things releated to loading and texture streaming at least for a while.
    So Nvidia (and AMD that most likely will make something similar) will have to wait until Microsoft
    adds it, maybe fall 2021 at latest I guess.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    bluedevil likes this.
  19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Will MSi buy and then resell these to you for twice the price? ...screw MSi.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Storage that run as hot as GPU and cost as much in most cases. Price need to drop dramaticly on NVMe for them to really take over SSD still have not taking over HDD cause of there cost. Ram Drive are still Ram drives even if there called NVMe it not new tech is always been there it also always been enxpense now it probably not expense and when NVM was made but still way to expense.

Gona have think about HS for Storage now with NVMe at those speeds, so premium on top of premium, I love the fact I/O bottleneck are slow disapearing but the cost is just plain stupid imo