Rocket Lake-S could be substantially faster for games than the current Comet Lake-S

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    For desktop yes. The latest 10 series are still on Skylake architecture.
    Sunny/Willow Cove only exist in mobile chips.

2. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    They're at 32mb now ryzen is.

Intel keeps playing the catch up game as of right now.

3. tailspin

tailspin Member

GPU:
    ARES II 6GB
    So basically Intel is moving to 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++ ? Let me get my 1600W PSU order in.....

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    So.... how exactly is this supposed to be substantially faster? I doubt that's 5.5GHz on all cores, and if it is, this thing is going to run HOT. Even if it were on 10nm, it would still be very hot. Games are slowly starting to use AVX more often, but I don't see AVX512 being used any time soon (especially since next-gen consoles don't have it) and that'll make the CPU run even hotter, if the frequencies are to be maintained.
    A larger cache is nice, but bigger isn't always better. The larger the cache, the slower it is to read/write. I predict in some cases, Intel might actually lose performance as a result of this.

IPC is also affected through software, like scheduling and power governors. This is why Ryzen performed so poorly in Windows (at least at first), because the scheduler would hurt performance by not pairing up alike threads and by swapping threads between core clusters, which would force the cache to rewrite and move over the Infinity Fabric.
    All processors seem to have a "sweet spot" for clock speed efficiency. The higher you push the clocks, the less efficient they get. From what I can tell, more transistors uses less power than more Hz once you're past that "sweet spot".
    The reason Intel keeps pushing for things like AVX512 is because if utilized [properly], it offers a tremendous performance increase at a lower wattage.

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Clock hype is all wrong , i dont get people hyped by it , like everyone forgot pentium / athlon era , similar situation starting to happen again , who cares for mhz? All we care is performance/$ or just performance if you want the best. I dont care if it runs 10ghz or 3 ghz ...

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I love how Intel always leaks how good their future CPUs are going to be right after AMD announces their new CPUs... AMD should learn this useful trick from Intel, it would be handy when Nvidia released Ampere...

Anyway, more important than still being stuck on the 14nm process, is to finally release a new arch with better IPC so they can compete against the new Ryzen CPUs in equal footing, more or less...

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well to be fair, that is what Intel is giving you - they are lowering their prices lately and cranking up Hz, so, performance/$ is getting better.

For me personally, I prefer the cheapest and most efficient platform that will readily handle current games (which in this case refers to PS5 or XBSX) at 60FPS. Anything beyond that just dumps more heat in the room, makes fans louder, and increases the price tag for no gain. The tricky part is, we don't yet know what next-gen games demand, so I'm probably going to be sitting out these next-gen CPUs. A 3700X could be all we need. It's also possible a 5900X might not even be enough.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    EE as in Exceedingly Electric? ;)

southamptonfc and Ricardo like this.
  9. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Probably has Blast Processing. It worked for Sonic.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Taking bets on how long it will take until there's a security vulnerability mitigation needed.

11. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    I can see the Marketing strategy of Intel... "buy a I9 11XXX and get a free AIO 360mm of your choice"
    Come on man.... until when Intel will sell 14nm++++++++ CPUs?!?!?!
    Just crazy people to buy an Intel processor nowadays... completely crazy!

12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I'm down for a i9 Rocket, to replace my i7 Comet, when the time is right of course.:D
    Any why? Cause it's my hobby and it's my money.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  13. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    If it's true that the top tier model will go back to 8 cores, it doesn't really matter.

14. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Honestly, If I buy a new motherboard right now, it would be for new Ryzen. And I am Intel biased.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. Uroshi

Uroshi Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080
    I am afraid that this article is based on pure speculation. No way Intel has a 5.5GHz chip in their labs and it would not try to ruin AMD's party with a "leak". And if they only have ES chips below 5GHz ... how can someone "know" that final CPUs will reach 5.5GHz?

This said, Intel is late to the game, rocket lake comes in Q1 ... if it would be a blast they would have rushed production in the past months and we would have a lot of data "leaking".

Rocket lake will have cores backported from 10nm cores not originally intended to be portable to older processes. From what I understand they had to make some cuts to the core to make it viable in 14nm (so potentially worse than the Tiger Lake generation cores ... considering when the new 14nm core should have started its implementation it could even be a derivative of an older 10nm core ... lets remember there are also the "forgotten" cores of Cannon Lake).

So, in 6 months there will be something new from Intel for the desktop which could be better or not than what will be available in a few weeks from AMD. Basically we got a "guarantee" that for 6 months there won't be a new Intel king of desktop CPUs ...

... and in 6 months I would be seriously asking myself if I want to invest in the "last glory" of generation 4 (DDR4 and PCIE4) or wait a few months and go with the DDR5 (and maybe PCIE5) offerings from both camps.

((Personally I am updating the second PC from a glorious 3770 to a 5900x next month. Fun part, the 3770 works at the same 4.8GHz (some serious OC at the time).))

16. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    More FUD from Intel. Bring the chips to retail.

gx-x likes this.
  17. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    This is my Delidded 10900k on watercooling @ 5600mhz. Not that hard to get 5.4ghz o 5.5ghz on this plattform. So if the new Rocketlake cpu's are even more "refined" 5.5ghz is very doable :)
    CB 20 5600-4700c17-5200 1.42v bios llc8.PNG
    Running 5.5ghz "24/7"

tty8k likes this.
  18. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    My 10700k does 5.3ghz, currently running at 5ghz due to power supply /longevity of cpu.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    The sense of speed in sonic was mind blowing back then XD

Clock speed meh to at this 4ghz is more then enough architecture is what need to be improved not clock speed clock speed just increase the heat and the tread of cpu using more and more wattage and getting hotter dont need to be made worse by clock be pushed, to.

Amazing break threw to me would be 8/16 or more with amazing performance like ryzen and some these highend intel stuff, but with wattage range for like 50w or less, i dont see it happen though cause if and when that is possible if it isnt already which I think it is they will just push the wattage anyway

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  20. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    But cinebench :p
    But power consume in Cinebench gaming :p
    But noone play games in lower than 4k in 2020 :p
    But 14nm+++++++