NVIDIA Allegedly Moving Ampere to 7 nm TSMC in 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I kinda don't want a 3080 now even if it was in stock.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    "IMO" they been alienating them for years with yearly price hike they been doing that seem increasing more each year, but still buy them still cause last i check there competing with the self still? which why they get away with seriously the price of gpu have past few as really jump to point where 1$ card are normal card that before only card there over 1$ was the titan

Fender178 likes this.
  3. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    In their wettest dreams.
    Not gonna happen.
    Maybe after US "empire" falls, sure, but until then, no chance in hell, WW3 would have to come before China gets their grubby hands on Taiwan.

---
    Anyway, back to the topic:
    NVidia F*ed up big time, they design such a powerful architecture, only to fab it on an inferior and poorly implemented process.

Imagine if 3080 would clock to 2.2-2.4 Ghz and has fewer cut shader clusters, while consuming only 250W instead of 340+ ! That would indeed be TWICE the 2080, for real, not just in Jensen's delusions... !

4. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    AMD moves to 5nm EUV with RDNA3 next year. :p

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    After all this bs I don't care what Nvidia does. I'm buying AMD as my next card. I don't think anyone with a 3080 regrets having one with this news. It does give some clarity to those without one and with patience, to maybe wait.

6. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Is Samsung 8nm design compatible with TSMC 7nm ??? You don't change manufacturing process and foundry in the snap of a finger...

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No but A100 is on 7nm TSMC, but it's a much different chip. Either way I think Nvidia is probably competent enough to move it's design between fabs easily enough.

That being said, the original source for this news isn't really clear if Ampere is moving to 7nm. It says Ampere is on Samsung's heavily discounted 8nm process but Nvidia is moving to 7nm in 2021. Depending on how you read that, it either saying Ampere is switching to 7nm in 2021 or simply that Nvidia is switching to 7nm TSMC (on a new architecture)

[​IMG]

Keep in mind Hopper has been rumored for 2021. Maybe Ampere is just a short lived architecture and that's why it's not significantly different than Turing.

AStaUK, Dragam1337 and sbacchetta like this.
  8. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    Yeah that will be a painful one for them to work out..., nurfing and just giving lower temps and power draw doesn't seem fair, guess it depends on what AMD brings to the table.

Nvidia have loads of services and packages, I'm sure they can offer some sweeteners, if we all agree never to mention 8nm again.. ;-)

9. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Thanks for the info, Hopper on TSMC next year make more sense to me than a refresh of Ampere rtx line-up, unless Samsung 8nm yield are really that awful....

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Apparently, Hopper will be TSMC 5nm.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Hopper can be both. Ampere is already both. A100 is Ampere on TSMC's 7nm, A102/104 is Samsung 8nm (10nm). 5nm will probably be insanely expensive but for companies looking for the best performance, they'll easily pay 5nm costs and not bat an eye.

I can definitely see Nvidia doing Datacenter Hopper = 5nm at extremely high cost and the gaming parts on 7nm, which by next year should be much cheaper and higher availability.

12. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Are you really that obtuse or do you just like appearing to be incredibly ignorant?

13. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The 3090 and 3080 already perform way similar.

14. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Glad I cancelled my order now. Sounds like a 3080Super is on the cards next year with higher clocks.

angelgraves13 and Lily GFX like this.
  15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    And the drama continues.

16. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    We should always expect Nvidia to jack up the prices :)

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I would like to know if there will be 3090's on both 7nm and 8nm on the market at the same time - if so, no one will want to get a 8nm chip...

Lily GFX likes this.
  18. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    So 3080 and 3070 super on the way, interesting ..

19. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Sad news really as now i have to wait till 2021 for the 7nm version of the 3070Ti but hopefully it does use less power than Samsungs 8nm.

I want either a 16gb or 20gb card 3070Ti/3080 but now can't buy a Samsung version or maybe even Big Navi might tempt me. For the first time ever i might be 100% AMD by 2021.

100% getting an AMD 5800X so which gfx card will depend on how good big Navi is. If theres a card around 3070Ti - 3080 performance with 16gb of Vram like i said depending on a few things like power use/cooling/price i might be totally AMD before the years end.

AMD must be loving this because they(nvidia) are really struggling and orders are not anywhere near enough giving AMD more time to get their cards out.

Lily GFX likes this.
  20. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    @Fender178 @Devid @jura11 ha, i got it wrong :D..thx for the correction..i don't know why i was under the impression AMD is full Samsung...even more my ryzen 3800x is on 7nm lol..i'm a dumbass..:D

Fender178 likes this.