Intel Could Fight off AMD Ryzen 5000 just based on lower prices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I'm having a really hard time deciding if i should go with the 5800 or 5900... I know the 5800 will be more than enough for 4k gaming BUT the price gap is not that big lol. 1st world problems.

2. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I've just been looking at a review for the 10700 but what stood out the most was the 1080p performance between different AMD CPUs. There really isn't much of a difference between many of the Zen 2 parts, perhaps the same will happen for Zen 3. The 5600X could become the go-to CPU for gamers. I hope $300 doesn't translate to £300, though. We'll see...

3. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Not all customers. The shift to working from home, no travel costs, no childminder fees has left some people with a lot more money in their pockets. People who hold Amazon stock will also be feeling pretty rich right now.

'Luxury' hobby items like electric guitars are flying right now as evidence of this.The 3080s as well.

Supply and demand... And there will be plenty of demand from all over the world for the fastest CPUs, that's for certain.

Goiur likes this.
  4. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    But to get a Z490 which is anything above poverty spec you have to spend more and then you wont get the added bonus of a newer gen product which uses less power and generates less heat not to mention PCIE 4 which is not included in the current Intel CPU spec so you will need a new CPU to get that, bottom line is AMDs products are currently better, you would not expect to pay more for a Skoda than an equivalent Audi well its the same with the CPUs AMD is the new Audi for now

5. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    I'm not surprised at all by the new AMD pricing, I was fearing for an even bigger price premium in all honesty.

If what AMD claims will be true, they will have an all around best CPU, not only that... they also secured partnership with both Sony and Microsoft for the new consoles. New games will be developed with AMD cpus on the main test table, and console players will se AMD logo here and there which will help brand recognition.

Basically, even if their market share is minor compared to Intel, they are in a very strong position.

It would be foolish for them to not price their new CPUs for what they are, the best you can get.

Zen2 pricing was much more aggressive because people were still suspicious towards them, things started to change with Zen2 and when security holes started to pop up like candies in Intel.

AMD is perceived in a very different manner compred to 2-3 years ago, hence the price difference.

As long as there will be real innovation (and not an offending +2-3% like in Intel years) I will be happy to pay new CPUs for what they are worth.

BReal85 likes this.
  6. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    The Z490 competes with the X570 as its the top of the stack
    doing it by price
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi...-crossfire-realtek-gbe-usb-32-gen2-aplusc-atx
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asu...3-dual-m2-crossfire-intel-gbe-usb-32-gen2-atx
    both the cheapest ATX sized boards without sale offers so intels boards still cost a bit more

7. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    "The most important data he mentions is price: it seems that we will have an Intel Core i7 with a cost below $400 dollars. He indicates that the price could settle around $349 or $379"

Excuse me, what? i7-10700K 8/16 MSRP was $374. So it is already priced below $400 - and is currently sold for $350 at Microcenter. And do not forget that with the higher MSRP, AMD will have the option to lower prices by the time of the RL release. Not to speak of the fact that it is enough to buy a B550 for any Ryzen to get memories working with higher frequencies, whereas with Intel, you need to buy a Z490 to get 2666+ MHz memories working.

Ryzen is assumably getting the gaming CPU crown from Intel in a month.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The VRM's on that x570 would fall off the board if you used it with any real workload and 5800x (woul likely draw about 150W). The VRM on the ASUS however is much beefier being a 10+2.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yes, I'm feeling pretty confident (though not 100%) that 8c/16t is all you need for gaming for the foreseeable future. However, I still don't expect Intel to be the budget option. I'm sure the 5700X is going to be cheaper than whatever Intel makes. The 5800X is already cheaper than the 10900K. Besides, Intel has too much of an ego to be considered "the budget option". They may be losing this battle but they're still winning overall
    That being said, people complaining about prices don't seem to have much of a reference point.

I don't see history repeating itself. Tech enthusiasts are very wary of Intel's history and previous lawsuits have set Intel up for failure if they attempt this again.
    That's probably why Intel has resorted to more desperate measures in marketing lately, like dismissing certain benchmarks or saying "it's the platform that matters". Mid 2000s Intel would've handled this situation very differently.

Sorry but I really hate this sentiment. If you're facing hardship, one of the last things you should be doing is investing in an expensive hobby, especially something as fruitless as gaming. Yes, everyone needs something fun to uplift their spirits in such times, but you don't need the latest and greatest CPU for that. Ryzen 5000 ostensibly has impressive performance but you can get a 3000 series or Intel 10000 for a good price and good performance.
    This is consumerism at its worst.

AlmondMan and AsiJu like this.
  10. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    That's why people will buy the cheap/affordable one, bad times to add premium plus to pricing. Gaming wise, 9th or 10th gen are better than 2000 or 3000 series, so maybe AMD wont gain as much market share as they want.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I can confirm this.

What? It's just as credible a statement as any Twitter leak.

12. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Everyone's talking about the new processors at the high end. Do try to keep up.

The problem isn't the price, it's not enough SKUs to cover different market segments, people just lack the vocabulary to explain that. If you slotted a 5700x in at 349/399? 8 cores 4.5ghz or something? People would instantly be happy. The disappointment is the missing product in the 300-400 range. Customers feel like they have to spend more than they want to get 8 cores, or compromise on 6.

Prices themselves aren't a problem.

HandR and H83 like this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    My point is, higher premium or not, it's a bad time to be buying a gaming PC if you're affected by lockdowns. Those who are struggling are irrelevant in the eyes of any company releasing a new product, because those people are more worried about maintaining a roof over their heads or having something to eat every day. Trust me, AMD adding $50 to these CPUs is the least of these peoples' concerns (or ought to be). So - since these people were not a viable market to begin with, I don't see how the price increase is affecting them.

I understand the gripe about the price increase (though, I also don't think it's that big of a deal, since it's still cheaper than Intel) but I don't think we should be using lockdown victims as a crutch over something so unimportant.

AMD's market share shouldn't be affected much at all. If anything, it was priced this way because they predict their market share will be going up.

14. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    If you are on a bugdet but still want 8 cores, unless all of the sudden they disapper from the market, you can still buy a Ryzen2.
    A 3700x, which will probably cost even less after 5000s go live, is still a very good cpu, or would you call it crap just becasue there's a 15-20% faster one at an higher price? By the time Ryzen2 will start to be scarce on the market, AMD will have probably released a 5700 to fill that market segment.

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Be careful everybody, it´s a trap!:D

More seriously, this should be the logic move from Intel but i really doubt that they are really going to lower their prices. They know that people only have two choices so there´s little incentive to lower prices...

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Am waiting till March then deciding. The thing that put me off Amd Cpu's is overclocking. 9700k would be my pick if I had to choose right now but the last Gen Ryzen does look good. However arent we getting new mobos and more pci bandwidth?

17. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Glorious Sandy Bridge, mine is serving my mom very well!

I could go back to Intel if they have the superior price/performance after DDR5 comes out and I need a new build. Until then, I'll stay AMD. Bought 2600 for 135€ summer 2019 and loving it so far. I'll upgrade to 3600 (or 5600 if it comes out and Asus update their bios, hoping for a miracle I know) maybe and have better gaming performance.

Valken and Undying like this.
  18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Seems a bit off from what I can find, peak draw appears to be 190w for the 10700k which is 8-core so then the 3800X which hits 160w.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-3800x-review,6226-3.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-10700k-cpu-review/2

(And that mixes in some extras like PBO overclocking though are OC results for the 10700k too.)

There's the CPU voltage of course which AMD utilizes quick peak bursts upwards of 1.4 - 1.5 although the regular is far lower,

Suppose it's whichever is the fastest that's the important thing though plus what they are priced at not everyone will choose the high-end premium models after all and the cost that these come at.
    Intel's upcoming CPU series against Zen3 from AMD now on a bit of a price increase over Zen2 even if the performance data provided so far seems promising.

19. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    And don't forget new round of Intel mitigation patches on Windows 10 with the new version incoming. Linux Kernel 5.9 had them already when released this week and performance hit is pretty significant. And this affects series 10K all way to Ivy Bridge.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-59-9900k&num=1

All these are going to be hardware patched with 11 series next year.

At this point reviewers should start refresh all Intel benchmarks.

20. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    alanm, moo100times and NightWind like this.