Horizon Zero Dawn

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Dec 4, 2019.

1. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    forcing AF via Nvidia CP still causing flickering

2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I think @Astyanax mentioned it's a game engine fault, not NVIDIA driver.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    He did yet still not fixed.

4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    So? Go bother the devs about t, then. It's their job to fix it.

angelgraves13 likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Have to delete the pso cache and let it rebuild.

kx11 likes this.
  6. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Horizon Zero Dawn Update 1.06 (PC) - 13 October 2020

Crash Fixes

Fixed a streaming compute shader crash
    Fixed a crash on startup related to file paths with non-ANSI characters

Graphical Improvements

Fixed an issue where characters would noticeably warp between cuts during a specific cutscene in main quest “The Point of the Spear”
    Fixed an issue where box graphics would flash during the final cinematic of the game
    Fixed an issue in HDR where the UI could get overlapped by a black scene
    Fixed an issue where turning on the Adaptive FPS option gave lower performance results than setting similar results manually

Gameplay Improvements

Aloy forward walking direction – Aloy now walks directly towards the direction the camera is facing when you press forward, rather than at a slight angle

Other Improvements

Executable details – Properties of the executable now also displays the current version

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1151640/Horizon_Zero_Dawn_Complete_Edition/

7. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    That's... a curious issue. How'd that slip by?

8. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    That's been there since day 0 on PS4, nobody cared then because people probably instinctively compensate with analog stick but on PC you only have direct forward/backward/left/right so you cannot "slightly" compensate.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    PCs: finding the problems in console games since 1974.

Undying likes this.
  10. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    That's just ridiculous! :D

11. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    More like PC fixing issues that nobody cared or noticed since 1974.

Have played and owned the game on both the PS4 and the PC and this 'issue' went utterly unnoticed on both versions of the game.

12. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    i have noticed several issues in the GTA series that PC actually fixed those. i am not searching for bugs or issues in my games but when its there its there. i have been told to wait with Horizon, since it's still buggy in performance.

13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
  14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Did anyone else feel bored after a few hours of play?

When I got to the part where map starts to open up I didn't want to keep playing.

The game is not bad, far from it, but it just felt like been there done that.
    I am burnt out by open world games though so could be it.

Another thing I can't decide I like or not is the combat.
    Setting out traps and stealthy kills is satisfying but open combat is, idk, clunky?

Aim for glowy bits, dodge, repeat.
    Use melee sometimes.

Maybe that's my issue, I'd like to use melee more but it's unresponsive.
    Chaining attacks is tricky.

The story didn't grab me either mainly because it's another post-apocalypse-thingy.
    At first I thought neat to learn Aloy's story but now I couldn't care less.

Anyone else? Vast majority seem to like the game.

15. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Took me a good 20ish hours to really get into it but once I did it was quite enjoyable. Never had any issues with the combat tho. So I doubt you can get into it

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Feels like a pretty standard open world affair but that's what I heard before getting into the game, going through it more to see the new environments after taking forever in the opening area since it's possible to "Skyrim" over the various natural obstructions although the game is a bit varied in when it warns you and when it just loads the latest save game.
    (Tried to get to this Metal Devil squid thing that somehow got plopped on the mountain behind the village but couldn't quite get close enough before the various invisible barriers and instant loading prevented further progress.)

Manual saving would be nice too as would being able to better manage auto and quick saves rather than deleting the files but tech wise after all the patches I'm only really missing a setting for anistropic filtering for the terrain textures.

Combat wise I think the spear is more of a last resort or silent attack type of deal, might differ in the Ultra difficulty level where it rebalances things although looking at the numbers it seems to make it just dragged out more and trying to balance for players having end-game gear in New Game+ mode with a few extra additions.

More focus is on using ranged combat and the various bows and other weapons and projectile types or traps and abilities acquired later on, hit the weak point and get the extra stuff for crafting or just additional damage while mostly going at it more stealthily against any of the larger encounters.

Story well I expect some later turns and twists but the early part was mostly forgettable and going by the usual expectations it's not the worst but it doesn't seem to be anything special either but it works I suppose.

Year or two earlier and the port would probably have held up really well visually but the art and design still holds up as does the various mechanized critters, will be interesting to see if they do port the sequel but I would expect at least a year if not more on the PS5 before that can even begin being a discussion and eventual decision on how that will be handled.
    (Underwater exploration seems like a nice addition even after having been subjected to 8 and 16 bit horrors with water level video game designs. :p )

17. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I actually liked the story and gameplay. Also didn't notice any technical issues that seemed to exist for some people at launch.

I would have preferred somewhat different storyteling than through a few missions that are basically just a long tunnel. Also, for PC port I have expected them to have more bindings for bows. That single wheel is just not enough and you have to go into inventory and change weapons for some fights. I understand the restriction on consoles due to gamepad, but since I can play it on keyboard there are more than enough keybinds to fix the problem.

Overall would definitely buy a sequel if they were to release it on PC.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    So I am the odd one out then I guess.

I mean, like said there is nothing inherently wrong or bad - even mediocre I think - about the game but it completely fails to give me incentive to keep playing.
    Gear system is barebones, world is neat but not that neat to keep me playing for alone, missions and story are... meh.
    Well not the story maybe but it either doesn't motivate pushing on.

Also I keep switching back and forth between KB+M and gamepad. Gamepad is better in general but naturally mouse is better for aiming.
    I find this frustrating because combat is shoot the glowy spot mostly. Personally.

Still, not too bummed about buying this game on release as I want to support bringing previously PS exclusive games to PC.
    Purely as a game, not worth the price. For me.

19. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Everyone is different, what I find fun doesn't mean that you would too. I liked to explore the world and the story, so it was interesting for me to explore and to find out what year it actually is or how the world ended. As I've said, they could have made the main missions better, but overall it was fun.

The gearing system, skill tree and combat is like that on purpose. The game is just open and you can go anywhere right after the introduction part. They could have separated it based on levels, but that would bring some problems too, like fighting same animals but some do nothing to you while others kill you immediately.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    From my current progress with it the initial impressions could be better but they could also be worse, I'm pushing on more to see the rest of the game world by this point and the plot happens as it's does exploring the areas and finding new challenges but having gone through the backlog some of those games were quite a ordeal whereas this is pretty straightforward and nothing too extreme maybe with some generic gameplay elements but some of these are almost standard now.

Map also made everything seem much larger whereas it actually took very little time to traverse the gated tutorial area and wrap up that bit though it looks like it's closed off in a few places and there's clearly a more required path between some of the regions so I expect this will be used to make players explore more than merely the critical path even if it leads through each major region as the plot progresses if they really want to pad it then there's going to be backtracking of some extent too.

Ultimately though the gameplay has to carry most of the experience, even well written video games can be a chore if the actual game play aspects and mechanics aren't any fun or at times even obtuse or poorly explained or implemented.
    Plenty of that, combat in particular plus all sorts of simplified and over explained or really lengthy forced tutorial segments from focus testing and streamlining sometimes it works better other times it's just too basic to be involving at all or fun.
    (Difficulty just scaling up damage numbers or similar and then UI and gameplay options but the game itself is often clearly designed where some of these become near mandatory to keep active.)

It's not quite the formulaic experience Ubisoft tended to follow until their most recent installments for many of their mainline franchises but there are a lot of similarities here.
    Then again the formula itself is kinda spread out across multiple AAA budget tier open world games now and many of them have similar flaws or complaints.

Could have some surprises later on both for late-game gameplay and new abilities and higher difficulty encounters or even some well written plot points and story bits but I'm going to keep expectations in check here.
    Heard good things about the DLC region also but that's near end-game after wrapping up at least a good part of the vanilla content.

Plus yeah I like exploring and seeing the game world the developers created even if it's often not too much of a point outside of the point of interest areas on the map, sometimes it works other times it feels like you're seeing the same few location types in a small variety of configurations over and over.

EDIT: Hmm a better explanation...what to do I'm not all that good at it ha ha.

A engaging gameplay loop and constant progression and evolving or iterating on the mechanics new rewards and unlocks for new possibilities against new challenges.
    Not just feeling like you've done and seen everything before wrapping up the tutorial minus a few notable expectations (IE boss type encounters.) or how to best put it.

Side quests also being both engaging to look into and rewarding for players who do take their time and finish these not just some minor reward or item box of random bits as this game seem to be using pretty frequently.
    (That happens in a lot of games though often combined with a small pool of objective types varied up slightly.)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    AsiJu likes this.