Intel Could Fight off AMD Ryzen 5000 just based on lower prices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Would be cool to see Intel as the budget option. AMD with all their cores might be great for productivity and lighter workloads. But for gaming, you don't need all that. You want the ghz and you want a lighter sprinkling of cores. A 8 core CPU is plenty! Especially with hyperthreading.
    I'm on my Ryzen 2600x 6 core 12 thread at home running games at just fine and steady framerates (3440x1440 75hz) while also running a 4 core 12gb RAM Conan Exiles server in a VM.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    This is to be expected.
    Price wars benefits the consumer. Stagnation is what is harmful. Lessons to be learned.

toyo likes this.
  4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I will believe it when I see it.

GSDragoon and Fediuld like this.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I believe it when i see it.
    Right now you can only get a i3 for the price of the best R5...
    It would be great for sure... but i can't see Intel cutting around 100 Euro on low med segment CPU.

schmidtbag and Fediuld like this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    IIRC...

Do you remember too?

Long time ago, intel was in same spot and financially damaged AMD through price reduction paid by people in the past which led to stagnant AMD.
    Guess whose money enabled intel to do this again? Ours again.

Will you support innovation, or anti-competitive practices this time around?

carnivore likes this.
  7. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    It's quite a good position though for the consumer, when performance is suddenly close then companies either have to make sales by cutting the price or alternatively trying to eek out more performance as nVidia did, to compete.

We shall see, perhaps Intel cannot eek out more performance though so have to adjust the price.

8. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    The 10700K is selling for £370 at the moment, assuming the 5800X costs £400, which it may not, Intel is already cheaper. AMD really should have consolidated their dominance on the desktop with Zen 3 and not increased prices for this gen, putting Intel completely in the shade, and not giving them any opportunity to stay relevant.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Who would want an intel chip when new shiny zen3 cpus are released.

To be honest i didnt consider intel platform few years now neither should you.

JAMVA likes this.
  10. Martes

Martes Guest

GPU:
    RX570
    Sounds like AMD FX times - competition is slower, more power consuming but at least cheaper ;)

11. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Personally speaking I buy based on price/perf, not whether something is "shiny" and that's the reason I've bought AMD for my last two builds. If I were building a new system now I would go Z490/10070K. That is, if I were buying with the price the 5800X is at launch. Historically there has been more movement on prices with AMD products than Intel, perhaps the cost on some Zen 3 products will settle to be more in line with Zen 2 once those products are no longer available.

ZXRaziel and AlmondMan like this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Dont forget that zen2 cpus are also available. B550 and 3800x still costs alot less than z490 and 10700k. That said i think also 3600 will stay best budget cpu for a while. Intel has to drop prices significantly to be relevant.

13. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    The 3600 is just great all around. I paid £150 for mine which is crazy good value. I have been looking at some B550 boards with the intention of getting a 5900X (my X570 board has crappy VRMs I could have swapped in a potential 65w 5700X but AMD decided against releasing that, for now anyway) but some of the better value offering have very few USB ports, which is annoying. The Gaming Edge WiFi costs about the same as a decent Z490 board. The 3800X shouldn't be considered when the 3700x exists imo, where the 10770K offers better gaming perf but that comes down to price/perf where the 3700X is the more compelling option.

14. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Assuming the 10700k can keep up with the 5800x in single core its still a poor buy, its hotter, several generations behind in terms of design and probably security, uses more power and is slower in anything other than (perhaps) a couple of games, it also has less cache. If this was a new Intel CPU we were looking at then nobody would be surprised, its that old attitude again of AMD MUST BE CHEAPER, that simply does not apply when the product is better, why would any Business hamstring itself by selling a better and I bet more popular product for less?
    Intel will respond with lower prices because that is all they have to offer (with some hefty rebates no doubt)

JAMVA likes this.
  15. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Was happy with the 2700X, later got even more performance with the 3800X, so I'm not planning to spend anything on intel cpus.
    They had their fun with high prices, small upgrades and yearly new mobos, for way too long.
    With Amd there is a possibilty to use three series of cpus with the same mobo, I mean come on...

ZXRaziel, HonoredShadow and JAMVA like this.

16. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I agree on some of those points. I guess it depends if AMD buyers hop on board with the new premium AMD or reject having to pay more for, admittedly, better products. Paying more for better products vs paying a lot less for slightly inferior (in gaming) products. Hm.

17. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I know AMD needs the money... but they should lower prices a tad just to make it harder for Intel, people are already not liking the AMD prices and its not even released yet.

Too many years with the "budget" badge, you cant change that in one release, even more when the competition will throw prices to the ground to maintain market share and AMDs products are seen more expensive than they really are.

Valken likes this.
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Intel can undercut AMD into oblivion like before. This is not about AMD, but about customers who are to make choice which will affect future products.

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Low prices or not, i'm done with Intel after 15 years.

Silva, Valken and JAMVA like this.
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Until they make another Sandy bridge im generally uninterested and will stay with amd.

Silva and Valken like this.