Microsoft Game Pass subscription for PC rises from 4 to 10 euros per month

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's good there are choices for people. People who do not care about not owning games, but want to play them - and people who do want to own games and play them.

I mean, that's surely the point is it not?

I own gym equipment so I can work out at home, but lots of people just do not have the money to own gym equipment, so they pay a monthly fee to go to the gym and work out.

Some people just do not have the money to buy games, and, increasing the purchase price of a game to $70 is in fact an incentive to get people to pay for subscription services.

I am truly surprised no one has figured that out yet.

INSTG8R likes this.
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Just in case anyone who already has GPU does not know, you can buy a year of EA access from the MS store for £19.99 and next month when EA access becomes part of GPU your remaining time will be converted and added to your remaining GPU sub, so you get 4 more months of GPU, so that works out a 4 month of GPU for £5 a month, more than half price for a month the normal way.......so just a heads up, i grabbed it and it takes my GPU sub up until 2023. :)

3. Trying out Stadia Pro... may look into this too

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    10€ is nothing. I pay more for spotify. I pay more for Netflix. And well that is the things I pay for. I used to pay 15€ a month to play WoW...

This gives awesome value compared to many many things. Sure you cannot "own" unless you buy games from their store ofc when it works just like steam. Even then "owning" is a bit nani if the company goes under.

INSTG8R likes this.

5. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
  6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    They also hope that for many subs they will pay for the service and then forget about it. Essentially continue paying the $10 a month for a service they barely if ever use. It's a careful balancing act between asking the customer for a monthly sub that is high enough so that they can offset the individuals who will rip the total p*ss out of the service but isn't so high that the folk who never use it look at their monthly out goings and think I am paying how much for this?

Of course I still think the only reason the service is $10 just now is to build their user base and get enough people locked in before they then do a more significant price hike at some point next year.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well now that these new next gen games are going to cost £60/£70 a pop that GP starts to look real good value for money, and with the addition of everything Zenimax and EA access added to it, plus along with all that you still get all your xbox live gold benefits, and as i keep pointing out MS rewards can easily half the price of that monthly sub down to £6 a month just by playing games and doing a daily bing search.......i mean MS are quite literally paying you to be on their ecosystem, look at my account, i have 32.000 points at the monent, so i could use 6800 of those points to claim £5, which i can then use toward that monthly GPU sub, meaning i am only paying £5.99 a month for GPU, now making a year of GPU the same cost as one next gen game. ha

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yep. You pay for the license to play games. You own f*ck alll.

Edit: just buy an Xbox Series and pay monthly for 2 years. You get a console and all the games. Done. Khronikos, you fail to understand the basics and seem to get angry after missing the point altogether.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    PrMinisterGR likes this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    An interesting point.

Do you think these companies, like devs, publishers etc,....do you think....they perceive games as something that is consumed; in that, we take a bite, swallow, and then have to pay for another cookie?

10. Pretty surprised I never did this before. I'm trying out PS4 Remote Play for the first time. It works as good as Stadia, not exaggerating. I'm on a 5G mobile hotspot it's very playable, very enjoyable. Granted the appeal with games as a service is to take it anywhere on any device. Admittedly there are less diverse options and controllers available & with this; the graphical "detail" is slightly less as it doesn't reflect a high-performance PC on services by Google, MS, and or Nvidia. Still - using your device as a host with something like remote play isn't that bad! Parsec makes a similar tool geared for the PC. I'm playing Witcher 3 PS4 atm - only "drawbacks", limited to 1080p but still - you can do 1080p @ 60 fps max. That's not bad at the cost of your games, ISP fees, and initial console hardware.

I think for new gamers these games as a service model would be well suited. Those of us that have purchased so many titles already, it is a bit jarring to hear or see "oh really you want me to pay for this twice?!" They really should have negotiated better contracts with their partners to ease transitions for customers which could have resolved transitioning cloud saves, etc - imagine how awesome that could have been with certain options intact I think it's all possible at a point and time but for now as opposed to say listen we'll offer higher percentages out of the cost we make off of subscribers we have a lot of shortsightedness and greed that affected policy else we'd have had some pretty smart and savvy unique games as a services models as opposed to 4 to 5 ones that are essentially clones of each other, just sayin'

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2020

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yeah, you angry. Bye.

12. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Freedom is having every service there is, and playing whatever you want.

Poverty is slavery.

13. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I got the notice about the price increase a while ago now but they billed me the regular price this week.

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^You need to turn off auto renew on your account.

15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Why? It’s hooked to my PayPal and just gets paid. As long as it works if the price goes up that’s fine but no reason to change my billing schedule.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I thought your post was about being charged unexpectedly by them, so i must have read it wrong. :)

17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    No just that I was charged the regular amount despite receiving notice of the price increase