GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 stock allocations are unprecedented low

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    First world problem? You (Finland) got rid of masks, restrictions, saved your jobs :p
    You will get the stock from the rest of Europe like UK, France, Spain no worries. After the end of October there won't have any money to buy them....

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    First world problems are the best problems! :D

Yeah we are doing kind of fine actually.

Fediuld likes this.
  3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Paper lunch just to make headlines, they can't even make money as there are no cards to sell.
    Guess Nvidia never learns from past mistakes, or is this part of their strategy?

AMD has everything to take the market by storm, 20 days left for the announcement and maybe a couple weeks for sales going live: please have the stock, people are so eager it will fly regardless if it beats the 3080 or not!

4. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    "Well, so get a more clear picture on that, videocardz noticed some information from a Daning trailer."

It's called Danish trailer, not Daning. :)

I'm Danish :)

StarvinMarvinDK and Dragam1337 like this.

5. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Yes I was intentionally waiting for the 3080 because I didn't feel the need to go for an 2080ti for $1200 at the time. It was worth the wait and thats why it feels so powerful. Good for 3 years now :) Next upgrade will be when we can do 4K120fps on all games

Maddness, ITGuru and pharma like this.
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol that was actually pretty good

ITGuru likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its good becouse its true. ;)

ITGuru likes this.
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I know I like to argue, but am I wrong?

I don't agree with most of what illrigger said but the idea that there has never been a shortage at launch, or people haven't said there has been a shortage, is just not true.

In fact even you said pascal was a paper launch:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/n...cting-nvidias-gpu-supply.408365/#post-5295794

This post was a month after the cards officially launched. So either illrigger is right and people just talk about a paper launch every release and/or ITGuru is wrong and there are some launches where people have problems buying cards due to shortages. In the case of 1080 I know it was a shortage because I remember having nowinstock setup with a autorefresh to get a card for nearly 3 weeks.

Here's one about 2080Ti's: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9jdrlc/we_ready_to_declare_this_a_paper_launch/

Again, I don't think either one of these launches are going to be as bad a this one, but there's definitely been problems. The question is whether Nvidia is lying about demand or not. We aren't going to know until earnings.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Undying likes this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    We wont know until earnings, but i deffo believe it's more about lack of stock, than huge demand.

10. WAR76

WAR76 Member

GPU:
    3080 Strix OC
    only 300 3080's received ? sounds about right. I can't wait for the next nvidia global launch.

this should be illegal.

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's bot. I mean both.

Maddness and Dragam1337 like this.
  12. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    I am sure demand is up on last gen due to how expensive per performance that release was versus the previous 1000 series which was a huge performance gain over the 900 series at reasonable prices. The whole Nvidia double cuda core and promo videos caught everyone out so probably generated far more buzz and demand than retailers were expecting but Nvidia would have known full well what the demand would be especially when they even used it in their promos with the whole 'youre safe to upgrade 1080 owners', I guess Jenson didn't mention when they could upgrade though. You or anyone else want to tell me that Nvidia didn't expect massive traffic when they said a 3070 would be faster than a 2080ti lol, they are playing people.

I posted earlier that 3080's on a well known UK site are due for November 22nd, this in my mind is unprecedented, 2-4 weeks of sell outs is one thing but this will be 8+ weeks, Nvidia threw the AIB's under the bus but its the retailers getting all the flack for it. You will of course see some people with a 3080, especially as they will be the loudest and the people who frequent forums like this or certain reddits will be the exact people who were there at 0 hour with ctrl f5 at the ready to try and grab 1 but there can't be that many considering how many are moaning about not having one. AMD have been so quiet they have to have something good, Nvidia pulling the 3070 launch until after the AMD news was interesting

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Have feeling same is going to happen to AMD with virtually no cards available till end of year. Compounded by many frustrated 3080 buyers will try to switch to AMD placing further strains on whatever available inventory there may initially be.

Also called retailer, not trailer. ;)

14. Heffro

Heffro Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 Ti
    Well... red team here I come.

15. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Nvidia is doing this to customers year by year. I never bought nvidia, but now, it´s time, where I really have to replace my GPUs. The RTX3090 did truly convince me in every way. But with this joke of a paperlaunch, nvidia is just gone, at least for me. I am not sure, if this mess has something to do with the pandemic. Slowly, I believe this whole situation was somehow planned together by manufacturers, retailers and nvidia itself. In the past, we often had situation where hardware wasn´t available right at launchday, but what is happening now, is just ridiculous and is only to push card prices. Sorry nvidia, you just lost a first time customer...again...

Let´s wait for AMD, and see what they have to offer.........

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Other than Ampere, Nvidias GPU launches were little different to AMDs over the years. You never bought Nvidia so thats why you seem not to know. :rolleyes:

So the RTX 3090 @ $1500 truly convinced you in every way? Really?.. :D

"planned together by manufacturers, retailers and nvidia itself"... yeah, committing business hara-kiri is the way to go. :rolleyes:

ITGuru likes this.
  17. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Well, I can understand your opinion, but I am not a gamer....and sadly the new RTX6000 just costs tooooo much.....

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It was a bit of a joke when I meant that Scandinavia is far from factories and important markets, but nevermind.

19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Fair enough :p But yeah, deffo aint considered an important market by the tech giants...

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti