WoW - Shadowlands - October 27

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Amaze, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Anyone playing the beta on an nV card has the following issue? :
    • [World of Warcraft Shadowlands]: When run at frame rates greater than 60 FPS with high display settings, moving characters display minute twitching/stuttering. [200647563]

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there was one reporter who was experiencing it in the live client.

the new driver includes the profile i've been pushing for the login and alchemy screen texture flickering (not the overlay hud flicker)

3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I'm not having this problem on the PTR which is effectively the same client as beta.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Good to hear since I play at 95fps

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    That's very specific :)

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    My monitor doesn't OC to 100Hz, that's why :D 95Hz seems to be it's maximum.

Amaze likes this.
  7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Well, I couldn't wait for pre-patch so I've been testing a bit on the PTR and my previously least likely class is now the most likely. Still a few specs I need to test but pretty sure it's not going to be warrior. Unholy dk was pretty boring, frost is equally simple but at least you have frequent procs to react to. Outlaw rogue actually feels way worse now that you can't re-roll the bones.
    So I might actually go marksman hunter. Doesn't seem overly complicated but there's a lot more going on there I feel on first impression.

8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Repo Man likes this.
  9. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    This delay is good news, they can polish it and possibly work on the covenants which have been a hot topic. Wouldn't surprise me if this will be delayed till mid/end of January. December is hectic because Christmas time and its difficult to provide support for content that just came out when a lot of workers are on holiday.

November would probably be doable for Blizzard but do they want to go against all the big releases like Black Ops, Destiny 2 expansion and Cyberpunk just to name a few ?

My money is on January 19th 2021 or thereabouts

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yep, I'm glad they finally have the balls to delay when it's needed. Probably the shift to working from home caused some problems along the way.
    "We'll release it when it's ready" used to be a Blizzard saying. Hopefully they'll re-commit to it.

I wouldn't say December is off the table. Cataclysm released in early December too.

11. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Ah yes, Cata, I forgot about that. The expansion where for me WoW's downturn began. They did that one cringy cutscene in WotLK in Dragonblight and the next thing you know Blizzard basically went "hay lets do a whole zone of lousy cutscenes in Uldum but we haven't got the resources to make them decent so we'll go in-engine and add subtitles"... though I must admit I didn't mind that zone personally but the whole expansion was just a miserable experience with the way they wrecked the beloved zones when all they had to do was to add a bit more content. I recall offering to help a budding warlock with one of the quests in the new zones but couldn't join him because I was in a different "phase", at that point I just wanted to burn my vanilla WoW discs!

One of Blizzard's strengths was that they would look at something and go "hey, that works, lets make it more accessible and re-iterate on it!" which is why WoW was a hit to begin with. They looked at existing MMO's which were mostly grindfests and turned it into an adventure which at the time didn't feel like such a grind. Problems began around WotLK when more contenders began showing up, Blizzard had to start stealing their ideas and making them slightly better. Now we're at the stage where WoW is the only real mmo left standing and Blizzard is stuck coming up with things on their own and thats not something Blizzard is comfy with.

I think Blizzards creative juices ran out when they introduced Suramar in Legion. That zone was gorgeous, it had a pretty cool storyline that you kinda wanted to play through ( albeit just once ) and it was something new to add to the the max level experience outside of raids. The best BFA could offer in similar fashion was Nazjatar, the single most player unfriendly zone known to mankind with lousy dailies and the mechagnome area wasn't any better.

Blizzard also has a nasty habit of thinking they got the next best thing figured out and then ramming it down your throat. Anyone remember Garrisons from WoD ? on paper a cool idea but Blizzards idea of it revolved entirely around us sitting in our garrisons waiting for CD's to finish or whatever. There was no real hub, no social aspect to the expansion and I'm pretty sure Blizzard went on record to say that they overdid the whole Garrison idea. This is one of Blizzards problems, they think they have a good idea and often they do, but like a bunch of kids they feel like they have to force feed it to you to prove a point! And it's probably going to be the same again with covenant's, just like it was with the azerite power grind. I loved Vanilla, TBC and WotLK because it felt like I was part of a larger world. Since then I'm meant to be some sorry excuse of a commander or whatever other hero and it falls flat when you see there's a 100 other chosen commanders around you. I don't need that half-assed Saturday morning cartoon storyline crap! Just let me loose in the world you made and let me forge my own story with a tiny bit of steering from you!

12. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Wrath was a pretty boring expansion. It's only saving grace was 2 good raids and good class design. Pvp is what kept me logging in outside of raids.
    Ain't no rose tinted goggles here ;)

A bit surprised you found Cata miserable. I thought the launch raids were excellent. A bit gimmick heavy but really varied, was fun. Classes were mostly in a good spot too. Dungeons were hard until they had to nerf them due to the mass exodus of mainly healer players. How simple end-game was back then eh.

But I wouldn't expect a major change in covenants. I think this delay is just to polish up the many many things that are bugged in the beta. Speaking of which, I did finally get an invite earlier this week, even though I'm unsubbed. So my beta streak continues :)

13. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    That procreating trailer scene where Sylvanas literally kills the most loved and probably one of the most powerful antagonists in the entire wow lore in just 10 seconds pisses me off.

Someone in Blizzard needs to stop having such a giant crush on sylvanas and her crappy procreating edgy character. Shadowlands took a huge dump on the WC lore imo.

The uther afterlife bit was beautifully made though, I wish they would stop giving sylvanas the spotlight. They clearly know how to write a compelling story yet they keep shitting on it with sylvanas being edgy.

14. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    You mean the Lich King Bolvar? He ain't dead. And you will find out in Shadowlands how she got those powers.

15. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    I think the only way I would reconsider WoW would be
    - (powerful) raid tier sets returned
    - removal of all raid difficulties other than Mythic
    - removal of the best gear through RNG and fast dungeons
    - reintroduction of introductory raids like Karazhan, Magtheridon's or Gruul's
    - moving the story forward in an original manner instead of endless rehashes of old bosses and content
    It's quite sad how this game has degenerated since its 2006-2009 (approx) glory days. I remember very vividly wanting desperately to return home from work or even from my girldfriend, just so I can raid with my friends. Socially debilitating, yes, if allowed to spiral out of control, but it was only a proof of how much of an achievement the game was. Blizzard truly messed it up in a way only they can mess up.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    It's quite likely that there will be tier sets again.

I kinda doubt that blizzard will ever remove all raid difficulties except mythic. Although I think that raidfinder should be turned into what it was always intended to be, a visitor mode made for people to see raid and advance the story/quests without actually raiding. So it would be best to just have it as a solo scenario you can complete (and repeat), but it just wouldn't give any raiding rewards. Because as is, raidfinder is in my opinion doing a pretty good job at keeping casuals who never raided from raiding. I can't imagine thinking I want more of that after trying it. Afterwards, normal/heroic can also be just merged into one difficulty, to have the flex raid size along with the fixed mythic raiding.

M+ rewards were reworked, so now the highest reward at the end of the dungeon is a few ilvls lower than heroic raid and there should be only one item per dungeon. On the other hand you can still get mythic level item in your weekly chest and you can now target it based on dungeons you have done in the week. So you can pick only one reward out of (potentially) 9 and there should be no duplicates too.

I kinda like many changes they have made and a lot of specs are supposedly quite a bit more fleshed out than in the beginning of BFA. The biggest issue I have is with the new systems of power (yet again). It's definitely not balanced and I'm quite confident that it never will be. So playing content where one covenant is better than the other it will just feel bad to be gimped for no reason other than blizzard wanting it to be so. I also don't have any time or desire to level several characters to play multiple covenants for different specs/roles and that is why i really hesitate to go for it.

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I don't remember where I saw it so this might not be factual but I believe the tier sets will return this expansion just not in the first raid.

18. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I think it's mostly a rumor, but it makes sense. They have removed sets to replace them with azerite, but since that turned out like crap and azerite is gone, it would only be logical to have sets back. Maybe first raid doesn't drop one, but that isn't so unusual, e.g. emerald nightmare in legion also didn't drop any sets.

19. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    i might have left it too late! Wanted to finish off some stuff BfA before pre-patch but i guess i wont be missing any pre-release events right now, so gives me time to wrap up BfA

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I hate Corruption gear and hope it disappears, same with all the unnecessary currencies.