GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 stock allocations are unprecedented low

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2020.

1. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Got my Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC yesterday. All I can say is that I was lucky, my pre-order got stuck during checkout back on september 17th, but I was in a line they said, the store where I bought it from managed somehow to get me a card and I got it yesterday, I live in Norway btw.

The card is pretty damn cool, allthough the fan speed which can get to 70 % audiable and I couldn't put a custom fan profile with MSI afterburner. Not sure why. I dont know if Gigabyte has any similar software.

But at 55-60% fan you cant hear the card and it stays at 60-68 degrees C on full load at 4K gaming. On 1440p the card is litterally cool as 48 degrees C. 4K is a different game and pushes the card between 60-68 degrees C. The cooler is massive and does a great job, but the sound of the fan at 70+ % is IMO a little loud.

But man.. The performance is sick, all games I have tested in 4K ran at least on 60fps everything maxed out. I locked it using Vsync at 60fps which I normally do until I get my hands on a OLED CX TV/MONITOR which does support G-Sync, HDMI 2.1 and 120Hz at 4K to eliminate tearing and lower the input lag. This is running with my old 4790K@4.8Ghz on all 4 cores. But this test is with HAGS enabled.

There appears to be some stutter in some games which drops to 57-60 fps, it is not constant stutter just randomly. I guess its either because of my cpu is on the limit to keep and give steady frames or due to HAGS enabled or just poorly optimized game like HZD, Marvels Avengers. But as I told you in a another thread I will upgrade to AMD 5000 series as soon as they release. I only upgrade my whole PC once every 5 years or so. So I excpect alot better performance after that.

I can tell you the card is literally twice as fast as my previous MSI 1080TI. Just sick performance and it goes where I was not able to go before. the magic 4K60fps everything maxed out, so no wonder these cards are in huge demand. But It is also due to the corona virus situation. Many factories are disabled or produce at half the speed or at a lower pace..

Maddness likes this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    How ironic, Proshop is the exact shop that i ordered the 3090 strix oc from... and i was 3 hours late to the preorder party... so i can hereby conclude, that it will take a loooooooong time before i get my 3090 strix oc -_-'

3. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Waits for 4 months finally gets RTX 3080
    use for 6 months and new gpu announcement :(

Dragam1337 likes this.
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    We're talking about two completely different parts of the world :) Proshop is Danish (though also operates in Sweden) and Microcenter is a huge US retailer.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    ITGuru likes this.
  7. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    Jealous and bitter would imply I wanted to buy one, I didn't. I'd rather wait and see what AMD brings to the table, you know, like someone smart would do or wait for the Nvidia super/ti cards which always make far more sense than what the early adopters get, especially with the 2080. A 3070 super/ti with 16GB would interest me however and I wouldn't have to be lucky to get it either.

You can spin anything you want to suit yourself like you have attempted to do so, it doesn't bother me and it doesn't change the fact that it's a paper launch for the vast majority of shops and potential customers. Enjoy the new toy

ITGuru and wavetrex like this.
  8. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    ITGuru likes this.
  9. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Proshop also operates in Norway. I got my card from Komplett at 17th september preorder, but recieved my card yesterday.. Komplett also operates in DK, SE

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    People tend to not really read the articles...

But yeah, the danish market always gets down prioritized, which is ironic, as it's one of the few markets where of people can actually afford these gpu's...

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It ended up being about a month in the US for the 1080. I don't know about other countries. Point is there has been rough launches in the past.. I will agree this one certainly seems worse, might even be worse, but you're not really going to know what the problem was until after Q3 financials. Nvidia is predicting a massive uptick in revenue. If they miss the number then obviously they undersupplied, but if the match or significantly beat it then demand was just that high.

Judging by the number of people I know that have the card now, Nvidia reddit posts, etc.. it seems like it really is a demand problem. It sucks. I want one myself but was going to wait for AMDs announcement anyway. I figure I have time because really the first game id want it for is cyberpunk.. but if it's really going to be bad until Nov/dec idk what I'm going to do.

You should write a poem about it.

12. Nictron

Nictron Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 3070 Dual OC
    What I see from this is that Nvidia desperately wanted to get ahead of AMD Radeon before their launch with a card that is overbuilt and power hungry to keep the performance crown.

I am quite excited to see what AMD has on offer with Ryzen 5000 and BigNavi.

Might be the first time in a decade I revert back to AMD.

My daughter still runs my old Athlon X6 CPU with a GTX 1060.

I am still on a i7-5775c with a 1080Ti.

Good times!

13. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    However with GTX1080 stock was limited until mid August 2016. Many months after the card was released.......
    Many of us DO NOT FORGET

June 2016
    https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...are-in-short-supply-experiencing-price-spikes

May 2016
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/307...-limited-stock-no-custom-cooled-variants.html

https://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/40947-geforce-gtx-1080-sold-out-selling-excellent

https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/07/08/demand-for-nvidia-corporations-geforce-gtx-1080-co.aspx

"1070 delayed due to stock issues"
    https://www.techradar.com/news/comp...didn-t-know-about-the-nvidia-gtx-1080-1321516

Reminds you something? (3070 delay)

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Limited, but not close to non-existant as the 3000 cards are. I ordered my 2x 1080s the 29th may 2016, and recieved them the 16th june 2016.

ITGuru likes this.
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't really remember it being hard to get in August, but it definitely was throughout most of July. You can Google and find tons of people saying it was the worst launch ever, paper launch, etc. Few people even remember it lol.

Look I'm not saying this launch is better or worse (I think botters made this one appear worse) but to say this never happened before (which is what ITguru implied) is nonsense. It's definitely been at least this bad. Whether or not this one will go into 2021 and be worse is left to be seen. But we still have like a month before it's at 1080 levels of lack of stock.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yet this time around the stock is way more limited than back then.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'd say that applies for the whole nordic market. From what I've gathered Scandinavia won't get many PS5s and XBSXs either. We're simply too far away from production or design :)

18. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    And? Is not the first time Nvidia does such release. Pascal, Turing same thing we saw also.
    https://wccftech.com/no-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-has-not-been-delisted/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9ywy37/want_to_get_rtx_2080ti_stock_issues_means_very/

2070S just last year.
    https://forums.evga.com/Why-is-the-2070-Super-stock-being-limited-so-much-m2977463.aspx

GTX1080Ti!
    https://wccftech.com/gtx-1080-ti-sold-out-restocking-custom-aib-variants/

That is my point. True this time might be more limited, but nothing sort of something new happening. Nvidia the last 4 years was always like that time and again.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well yes and I did not argue that it's a new thing. But for the first time for example here in Finland the outlook is that we might get a card in 2021 if we order now. That is rather new situation.

20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Too far away from production or design? Dunno what you mean by that.

I think they are simply trying to please 'murica, as always... cause somehow that is the only market that matters -_-'