Intel would release Rocket Lake-S desktop procs in March 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2020.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not really a good comparable situation. AMD was still a tiny fraction of Intel's size at the time, and by the release of Excavator, Intel was practically a monopoly. Today, Intel isn't that far behind either. Despite their platform being overall absurdly old with hardly any redeeming qualities at all, Intel CPUs are still able to keep up in some tests. Intel is still making more sales, and presumably, they're making more money per-sale than AMD too.

So yes, of course Intel will be fine. Funny thing is, back around 2012 I remember saying something like "Intel could do absolutely nothing for the next 5 years and they'll still make more sales than AMD". I wasn't expecting to be right about that after the success of Ryzen, though, Zen3 could possibly be the turning point.

And yes... I'm aware that in certain stores and of certain countries, AMD is actually outpacing Intel. But look at the market as a whole and Intel is still ahead in sales.

2. V3RT3X79

V3RT3X79 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    INTEL ===> The Return of the Furnaces ! Good for cold winter ! :D

3. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    but those of us who will be buying the 5k series will have spent 100s less for more performance. Heck even with me buying a 1600X in 2017 and a 3700X in 2019 I'll still only have spent a marginal amount more for what will be better performance than can be had via Intel if the rumors are true.

V3RT3X79 likes this.
  4. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    I've Been using Intel Based Systems since 2017, previously had AMD FX 8310, AMD A6-3620 Desktop APU, came across some money in late 2017, and decided to buy Intel at the time, in June 2020 purchased an Intel 10th Gen based board, Gigabyte B460M-DS3H, and Intel 10700, at least i know think now should work with my current board later on if i did decide to upgrade processors to Rocket Lake

5. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I have decided to go for a MSI X570 Tomahawk WIFI mobo, it feels future proof, looks cool and has everything I want it to have and the price is fair enough, I mean there is much more expensive boards with the same or similar features out there, so it it isn't that bad.

Going to top it with some kind of G.skill 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 memory dimms or 3600mhz cl16 if possible. I am not upgrading that often, doing it every 5-6 years or so, so thats why I have decided to go with x570 instead of B550. Last time I did was in Jan 2015 with Z97-PRO and a 4790K which I have today.

6. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Who cares intel is still faster in gaming, and that is going to stay for @ least a few years if not forever.
    Loving my 10700k.

Just please stop the fanboylism and the intel hate please.
    They both got negative and positieve sides.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Only at low resolutions up to 1080p. 2k and 4k show moslty no difference. Even that ends this year with zen3. Your 10700k will be history as soon 5800x shows up making it absolete and forgoten. All that on an old b450 board, its almost no contest.

8. colindawg

colindawg Member

GPU:
    All I need is Alder Lake to come around and I'll be set. Finally give me a reason to upgrade my 4770k

ZXRaziel likes this.
  9. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Are they finally moving on to the 10nm ? Are all the vulnerabilities fixed on hardware level ?
    Those are the only two questions I have .

10. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Where did you get your information from ?
    How do you know that this refresh ( rocket lake ) will get this much performance increase ? Only asking because for years now the refreshes have been getting around 5% per refresh so I am curious .
    What is the 5000 Series RYZEN performance ? Just so I don't have to wait for the official reviews .
    And last question , so you know for a fact that there will be no delay and alder lake will be here in 10 months time ? That would be great , If I was Intel I would not bother with pointless rehash of the same design , on the same node just adding few extra MHz , I would just wait little longer and release the next Generation , I think this strategy of endless refreshes is damaging to the company's reputation .

11. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    There is literally no point in Rocket Lake-S. It offers nothing of value. Better to wait for Alder Lake-S so you can have DDR5 and PCI-E 5

12. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Looks like my 3900x is VERY dead soon, if 10700k will be obsolete and forgotten....

13. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Maybe my luck but I have only ever had 3 pieces of Hardware die, an Intel core2duo ( no intel since) and an ASUS B350 Strix and a 1080 strix both died one after 6 Months the other at 15 Months because of this and several similar reports online I will not consider ASUS again Gigabyte for me never had one fault ever other than my own clumsy screwdriving that broke a capacitor off

14. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Will you save the purchase price in energy bills after a year or two YES

15. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    You ask for the end to "fanboylism(sic)", and then make this completely baseless fanboy statement yourself. Are you stupid?

And to refute your other simpleton statement, I can't remember ever seeing a BSOD on my AMD 2950X or Intel 5930K systems that wasn't of my own making (i.e. aggressive RAM timings, under-volting etc.). Maybe I've just got lucky.

ZXRaziel likes this.

16. Rick_2077

Rick_2077 Guest

GPU:
    1660 TI
    I do two things on my computer ( Games and VMs )

I play games at 1440p ( Whatever Intel or AMD)
    VMs need cores (AMD has a lower price)

I will remain at AMD until the scenario changes.

HandR likes this.
  17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I thought the new CPU was going to be made on the 10nm process and with a new arch, was i dreaming or something?...

18. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    It should be a back ported to 14nm++++ Willow Cove architecture

19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I have a feeling this post isn't going to age well.

TheDeeGee, Ricardo and Aura89 like this.
  20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    never had any bsod on my 3300X , platform is as stable as intel.