GeForce 456.71 WHQL drivers: download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I installed this over the Hotfix and GPU-Z still shows this as a Beta which is odd as it was shown as successfully installed. And, yes, I have restarted my PC.

Does that mean you have to use DDU to uninstall it then reinstall it to get it to show as WHQL? I would not have thought this would be necessary as the only thing that is different from the Hotfix is the certification.

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Dunno. I didn't have the hotfix - came from 456.55.
    2 or 3 times I was at my wits end and had to use DD on my R9 290 - it didn't end well :) So it's a last resort for me.

My entire Good Practices Self-Memo consists of:

1. Reboot BEFORE installing

Sajittarius and AsiJu like this.
  3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    I would assume they would've recompiled it, but the version being the same would be odd if its actually different behavior-wise, its not like they don't have an unlimited amount of numbers.

4. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2

Actually youtube and twitch both do this during this covid period - https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/20/...-union-coronavirus-bandwidth-internet-traffic

Noisiv likes this.

5. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    So it's just the same hotfix driver with a couple of security vulnerabilities fixed?
    GFE won't even let me update saying I already have the latest driver (hotfix).
    Sharpening can be forced for any game if it's enabled in the game profile. But it produces very different results depending on the API used in-game (dx9, dx11 etc), I'm not sure if 442 drivers, where sharpening worked the best, had similar result. Freestyle sharpening applies consistent sharpening no matter the API. I have comparison pics in this post describing another bug: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/g...ownload-discussion.434418/page-5#post-5837093
    No idea how global sharpening works now, it didn't work in a couple of games I tried and I didn't test it any further to see whether it's related to optimus or another bug since I never use global sharpening anyway.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Twitch is fine for me.
    Do you get periodic Youtube auto logoffs? I have to "Connect" and "Log In"every so often; getting dropped from youtube like every few hours.

[​IMG]

If that was the reason, COVID , whatever, I'd be fine with it. Just say so. Don't do me silently, stealthy. But then they would have to be transparent. Which opens a can of worms. Because for one, in all likeliness this wouldn't be done impartially.

PS
    None of this Youtube/Nvidia practices, real or imaginary, reduce my video/streaming quality.

7. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    i had this youtube disconects also

Noisiv likes this.
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Thank you!

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Are these same fixes in the hotfix driver?

If not, does the hotfix then contain fixes this doesn't?

10. V3RT3X79

V3RT3X79 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    [​IMG]

Sucessfully updated from 456.55 whql to 456.71 whql without any problem.

11. skoprowski

skoprowski Guest

GPU:
    5600 XT or 1660 Ti
    I just figured that out actually. If I use global sharpening I get weird color banding in Modern Warfare/Warzone. If I use the freestyle sharpening while in the game it works prefect. It was still that way in the hotfix driver, I assume it will be the same in this one.

12. Mars73

Mars73 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080Ti
    I have a GTX1080Ti (not overclocked or anything) and a MSI MAG272QP monitor.
    With the last few drivers 456.xx drivers it's not stable for me. I just installed this latest driver (clean install with DDU) and soon as I enabled g-sync I got a bluescreen. (System_service_exception).
    After the restart I could enable it, but as with the other 456.xx drivers I sometimes also had a bluescreen in the middle of a game.
    The 452.06 is stable, can play for hours on it without any issues, so I'll be using that one but hope the issue doesn't remain in future driver updates.

13. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    It's not the pandemic, the GFE disconnecting Google/YT periodically (it used to disconnect imgur and twitch too, but I'm not 100% sure, been a while) is a very old bug that was reported numerous times, since early or mid mid 2019:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...ence-318-feedback-thread-released-3-/2152777/
    Manuel knows about it, it just might be very low priority.

Noisiv likes this.
  14. d0X

d0X Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2070S Ventus
    Good for you, but why the double post? x)

15. Ahmet

Ahmet Guest

GPU:
    GT 1030
    clean version is out?

16. d0X

d0X Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2070S Ventus
    fear029 likes this.
  17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I updated mine over beta hotfix too, just plain override and it says beta as well..

Not really a big deal?

18. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    Benched 452.22 clean (no GFE) at complete stock on my 1080ti scII & saw 162fps avg (over 3 runs) with 27,3 min fps @ 1440 (heaven). DDU'd in safe then installed 456.71 whql & rebooted. Benched it stock & with the exact settings & number of runs as used with 452.22 (no user interaction in NVCP).

Resulted in a avg FPS regression of 10fps 152.1 [456.71] < 162.2 [452.22] & a min FPS boost of 3fps 30.3fps [456.71] > 27.3 [452.22].

Min fps boost is always a good thing but I'm a little concerned about that 10fps loss on the avg. I have seen this regression on the last 3 driver releases, each release takes the regression a little further each time. Driver stability seems good & games are playing smooth with no issues that I can tell.

I do however still have the issue of my card now happily sitting at 1556mhz idle & giving the middle finger to anything that tells it to go lower. On occasion it will drop back to 139mhz idle (where it's supposed to be) but at the mere hint of a 3d program, swiftly shouts HA! & jumps right back to 1556mhz.

I've given up trying to figure what gives as the card seems happy enough :confused:

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Some security fixes is there ?

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes, it has, quite a few times in the past, but not for a good few years.

The new driver is still in testing as it has a number of other fixes, but nvidia wanted to get the 8 security fixes already finished into a driver that could be published to WU and built for Win7 and 8, there is no attestation signature for the older OS's, its a Win 10 specific things - hence why Hotfixes for 7 have just not really been a thing in the last 2-3 years.

WHQL signature on the binaries instead of Attestation signature, exact time of signing also directly affects binary size too.

It otherwise is just a repackage with the same driver code used in the hotfix.

Inf time/date and version didn't change so the driver didn't actually install anything, its the same as the hotfix driver anyway so rather quite pointless to "upgrade" to it.

No, as adding any fixes would have changed the package number, its exactly the same package apart from digital signing.

Yes.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Lex Luthor and windrunnerxj like this.