Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered Releasing November 6th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Still have this on steam but they closed the servers down and are now releasing a remastered version of the game, so i wonder if the original will work online again?

Oh who am i kidding, its EA after all. lol

rl66 likes this.
  3. deathnite

deathnite Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 12GB
    I would like to see a remastered version or remake of NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  4. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Let's do it again.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Comparison video, enable Ambient Occlusion and call it a remaster :rolleyes:

Also notice how in the remaster the trees in the far distance on top of the mountain or gone...

Original

[​IMG]
    Remaster

[​IMG]

jbscotchman likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Funny you mention that, i played that yesterday, but sadly enough it has bad frame pacing issues on modern systems, with no fix for it.

I'm curently going through NFS: High Stakes (1999), still very very good fun.

7. G0dly

G0dly Member

GPU:
    1080 TI
    Rumours are this one will be online only so once they shut down the servers in future you'll not even have single player!

8. RaulR

RaulR Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT AE
    I would really like a remaster for Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed (2000). Or even better a sequel to it, with today's graphics, all new Porsche models, new tracks, it would be awesome.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    That rumor is pretty dumb TBH. Since VS is through a lobby and the rest is just keeping track of times. So if they ever shut down their servers, you will not see the best times among your friends who play the game. single player will still work.

About the game. I really loved the original. I still play it sometimes. I played it with guru3d people as well , and their records still show on my screen!! how i have been tormented for years!

So a fresh start sounded good! Until i saw the graphics are basicly the same as the original. This is a huge shame, and it will make me NOT buy the game. It should never been called a remaster when this could be a patch as well.

10. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    What about original NFS Hot Pursuit and Hot Pursuit 2?

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Those games are too fun, they will not be remastered.

schmidtbag likes this.
  12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    It costs a lot of money to remake them. EA doesnt like that.

schmidtbag likes this.
  13. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm tired of these remasters, but you can just call me old

I had great time playing the original Hot Pursuit both solo and even better - with a dear friend of mine, on split screen. It was fun, engaging, pushing players to try harder and improve. And the physics engine was novel.
    HP2 was good too (and Porsche, but it was a bit too difficult for me at that time). So when the "new" Hot Pursuit was released, I grabbed it and hated soon after, mostly because of randomness and catch up mechanics.

I don't play much recently, but I used to some day. And despite liking more realistic feel in racing games, arcade ones with good skill-based mechanics are good too. Underground was a gift from heavens, as did 2. I loved playing them. And I learned about so many good music bands (RIP Wayne, from Static-X). I loved competing with my friend, shaving off the lap / track times, we loved sharing our findings to improve and to learn that they helped us get ahead of each other. The same with Most Wanted. The overall game, the feel, sound, music, great implementation of arcade mechanics while retaining real-world attachment. And one of the best force feedback implementations despite this technology being uncommon (I couldn't afford such wheel, and friend bought one and lent it to me soon after). To this day I can remember how it felt, hitting carbs when cutting corners, paved shortcut, losing traction, and the sounds of great engines and sirens. So many emotions and good memories.

And this is "a problem". I can't imagine myself being pumped up for the next NFS game. Maybe I burnt out, maybe I got burnt by Hot Pursuit aka Burnout. I don't hate Criterion and Burnout series, and in fact I kinda enjoyed them when playing at some electronics store (you know, where you have game pads attached and console locked), but acquisitions and rebrands are the wrong way to innovate from a customer perspective. And in terms of games, I want to be a customer, not consumer. But it's not the way to get the best ROI (rate of interest), so change is not likely to happen. Too much risk, too big investment, when they can do what all big non-game companies do - namely looking for the safest big margins. This is not to say that all the new games suck. New games are often better than the old ones, but I often feel that they're too safe plus they don't try that hard to use all the potential available today.

If they're going to re-release the last Hot Pursuit and improve graphics only, it's a pass for me. And even if you're hyped, I'd suggest to wait a bit longer after the releases for long-term reviews. It's 2020. It's EA. So expect "surprise mechanics" aka loot boxes, and lots of useless features the only spoil the game.

rl66 likes this.
  14. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    +1
    There were some remarkable patches and extensions that added a lot of content and boosted graphics, improved interface quite extensively without breaking the game and all the previous content. I don't expect such thing to happen from huge studios, but every time it happens from a smaller one, it will make me happier.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Oh well, i will just wait for it to appear on gamepass. ;)

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    They have closed the NFSW online server despite being the only one with profit on the 4 "freemium" games they have done in the past just because it wasn't enough profitable...
    So i don't think either :)

It was less fun than original despite better on everything else.

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    The big company (EA, UBIsoft...) just have no more idea... The sun is no more on that side ;)
    BTW for those who might want to buy the new Crysis: A friend bought it, and it look worse than original+mod and it is slower... not a big deal for 30 Euro lol

18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I think this is one of the best NFS games made, but if they're calling this a remaster they're nuts. If they actually gave a damn they would be working on Underground 3.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't get it, why remaster this game? The original still looked pretty good even by today's standards. I know EA is lazy and greedy but considering this remaster barely looks better, this is a new low. I'm sure this is going to cost at least $60 at launch while still having a bunch of MTs.

I personally like the idea of remastering, as opposed to just making a tired sequel that doesn't quite capture what was good about the original. Why reinvent the wheel when you can just improve the existing one? But, this particular game doesn't warrant it. The 1997 and 2002 Hot Pursuit games could use a remaster.

jbscotchman likes this.
  20. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I don't see myself buying this. The original game was eh. Graphics wise, it's pretty much like if they were going to remaster forza horizon 3 anyway. Why...