ClockTuner for Ryzen (CTR) - and introduction guide and download

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2020.

1. AndooBundoo

AndooBundoo Guest

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 2070 S
    I ran it again and then hit reset profile, and then restarted my PC. After the reboot, limit values for PPT, TDC and EDC in Ryzen Master are 1000W, 114A and 168A, which is a lot, and if I run cinebench in this state, temps rise to more than 90 deg.

After hitting reset in Ryzen Master everything is back to normal (88W, 60A, 90A) and temperatures don't go above 74 deg when running Cinebench. I just want these default values to stick again after a reboot, otherwise I need to open Ryzen Master every time and reset them.

Is there any way I can do this? Do I need to reinstall windows? Is there an option in the BIOS (MSI Tomahawk Max B450) that resets these values?

Edit: Nevermind, apparently there's an option in the BIOS that cranks up absolutely everything to 1000% for better OC-ing, and it enables automatically if you change the LLC value without any notice. Changed that and everything is back to normal now.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  2. chaosophy

chaosophy Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 64

Check your BIOS settings for PBO.

My gigabyte board does something similar, forget exactly which way round it is but it's something like PBO enabled , RM shows 142w/95a/140a, if I have it set to 'Auto' in BIOS it shows me silly values like 900/400/480 - or around that.

So I've ended up just putting it on 'Manual' and set them to 180/120/177, which for a 3900X on my board, in my case, with the cooling I have seems to keep temps in check while giving me decent performance.

You could set yours to 88/60/90 and then test bumping them up a bit at a time to see what you are happy with running.

3. NuttyProcessor

NuttyProcessor Member

GPU:
    2080 Super
    Actually, the prime run didn't seem to stop automaticly. However, it seemed a one time problem.. I might upgrade bios, not sure what benefits it gives at this point. Every newer bios killed of my boostclocks more and more. Think the original bios the gaming 7 shipped with granted me 4650Mhz boost on my 3800x.. (f41), bios after that gimped PCI-E 4.0-, so i might even revert back if/when i obtain a 3080..

Ah well, running my 3800XT @ 4475/4500 @ 1,32v.. im fine for now.. (until zen 3 ofc)

4. Garrek99

Garrek99 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Long time reader.... (With no Ad blocker, if I might add.) ;)

Wanted to say this app is beyond awesome.
    1USMUS is the man!!
    And thanks to Hilbert for putting this up online with the guide.

I got a 14.7% boost in compute power while running cooler and more quietly. It's unbelievable frankly.
    Thanks again gentlemen.

5. Durmij

Durmij Guest

GPU:
    5700xt Sapphire
    Some interesting results.

My 3700x is bronze tier. Honestly more like wood tier. I figured as much already, it was a week one chip.

Highest sustained clocks I achieved with PBO before this were 4140mhz all core, drawing 118 watts, reaching 76c under my Cooler Master 612 Evo.

The profile I ended running was 1262mv, 4125mhz CCX0, 4150 CCX1. This gave me a slight increase in Cinebench score because the clocks were sustained, but it only drew 106 watts, running at 68c.

My max profile was 1320mv, 4175mhz, 4200mhz. This drew 118 watts, the same as PBO.

So, in summary, this blows PBO out of the water. My chip has never broken 4140 before, and now it hits 4179 at the exact same draw, but actually holds clocks.

Thank you 1usmus, this has been very helpful and fun to use.

(btw, does anyone know if you can have your CCXs more than 25 mhz apart)

6. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    tried to use CTR...didn't go to well (beta 3 with a silver sample 3900x, though seeing how ccx 3 and 4 are holding up silver seems generous).

set up the bios as suggested, did a diagnostic started a undervolting pass and after about 20 min it started spamming voltage to high warnings with a reboot immediatly message underneath it which i did as the core voltage moved from 1.15 it was testing to 1.55 now not sure it was at 1.55 under load or if it had released the stress testing and it was just doing that thing where ryzen on auto voltage takes all the voltage in the universe at damn near idle, slightly panic'd due to all the reboot imediatly messages..

anybody run in to this and know what might cause it/the solution might be?

7. SneakySpoons

SneakySpoons Guest

GPU:
    XFX RADEON 7970 HD
    I keep getting the below listed error.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor (870F10)
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    BIOS ver. 2607 SMU ver. 46.63.00
    DRAM speed 3600 MHz
    10/04/2020 15:34:36

OS does not see CPPC core tags!
    Perhaps you should clear the Windows System log and reboot the system.
    Also CPPC, PSS and Preferred cores should be Enabled in BIOS.
    Initial frequency smart offset disabled
    This technology is not compatible with this error!

I've reset my BIOS to default and then changed to the required settings multiple times with no resolution. Cleared the Windows System Log as well with no luck either. CPPC and PSS are enabled, I wasn't able to find an option to enable preferred cores in my bios though.

Anyone else encounter this error and have a solution?

8. chaosophy

chaosophy Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 64

Last couple of tweets from 1usmus say to just wait for the next release for now, particularly mentions some changes for ASRock and Gigabyte mobos but fixes/changes all round hopefully.

So probs best to just wait for the new release.

9. chaosophy

chaosophy Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 64
    I think the three settings you mention are called 'Global C-state Control', 'CPPC' and 'CPPC Preferred Cores', so look for similar to that.

Do you have Ryzen Master installed, latest version, ran at least once?
    Do you see "EventID 55" from "Kernel-Processor-Power (Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power)" in your system event log?
    I think it's the information in those that CTR is using to get the CPPC core tags.

Though CPPC tag problems are listed under known issues on the d/l page, so you may be out of luck or just see if the next version works.

10. 1usmus

1usmus AMD Memory Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    Thank you for sharing your impressions.

3500, 3100 and 3500x still have some problems.
    Perhaps 3300X also have some problems. I work without weekends to provide a CTR 1.1 update as soon as possible.

ABOUT CPPC.

Some BIOS can not inform the operating system to CPPC tags. You will most likely need a BIOS update and chipset driver update.

CTR 1.1 is a global update, which contains new features that will improve stability while the application is running, as well as overclocking accuracy depending on the Vdroop and temperature. More friendly and simple interface, tooltips and more.

P.s. If the protection system sees the voltage above 1.5V, it will automatically stop all processes. No danger to the processor. This problem means that сurrent BIOS version is not CTR compatible. I will also try to solve this rare bug.

11. Halibutox

Halibutox Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5600Xt 6GB
    I don't think it is possible, CTR seems to have a version of Ryzen master incorporated into it; and applies the settings after the OS loads. I noticed that the settings , if put into the BIOS won't boot at the lowered voltages. ( At least with my board)

12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    All four Patriot Viper Steel DIMMs are running fine @ 3733Mhz 16-19-19-19-39-68 1T Gear Down @ 1.37v--stock speed of the slowest DIMMs is 3733Mhz--thought it might work--it does (GD bumps up my CL 15 to 16)--check my last result--finished the run, finally, and got faster results with lower voltage in Cinebench 20. I went back to F30 myself.

I am evaluating now--some other benches are markedly better, like the little bench in CPU-7, beside the improvement in Cinebench. Today am evaluating games and other software. Will come back with findings when I am satisfied--I may edit my profile a bit to see If I can squeeze a bit more out of it now that I have a working baseline.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Open the CTR program, go to main, and turn off the button labeled "Autoload Profile with OS" (it will go gray when you turn it off), then reboot--your machine goes back to your bios configuration. You can change your profile (edit it, if you like) or turn it off--or just reset it. But reset does away with it. This option allows you to keep it without losing it.

14. feegus

feegus Guest

GPU:
    Rx 480
    On my 3600 I've been playing around a bit with Reference Voltage and obviously getting better OC results with temps still under 70.

Currently reached 4375 all core @ 1.35mV.

Is that safe to keep on all the time? Is it worth it to keep this OC on all the time if I mostly just game?

Thanks for any info to help out a rookie

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  15. SneakySpoons

SneakySpoons Guest

GPU:
    XFX RADEON 7970 HD
    Thanks for the assistance. I was finally able to remedy the problem. I just went through and made sure all my hardware was running on latest drivers/bios/chipset as well as making sure all Windows updates were current. After updating and going back into CTR, error message was no longer there.

chaosophy likes this.

16. Adam Honved

Adam Honved Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    Hi Waltc3,

What is this you are mentioning regarding bumping your Cl15 to 16?
    I also have Cl15 kits of Corsair 3000 MHz, but couldn't get them to work on 15, they are always on 16 in this mobo (Asus B550 F) for some reason. Worked just fine with previous one (Asus Z170 Pro Gaming).

Thanks!

17. Adam Honved

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    Despite having this function turned on, profile only loads when I open the app manually, open profile and apply it. Does not happen automatically when rebooting.

18. Adam Honved

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    I have Ryzen Master installed, but it doesn't start. Main screen won't show up. Still CTR working fine.

19. chaosophy

chaosophy Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 64
    'Geardown mode' requires certain ram timings to be even numbers, so if that is enabled in bios and any of those timings are an odd number it will force them up to an even one.
    Google geardown mode and you should be able to find more info on what it's for and which timings specifically are affected.

20. chaosophy

chaosophy Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 64
    I've not got that far with the tool but I think someone mentioned it adds a scheduled task to apply the profile, might be worth a look to see if you can see that task and if there are any errors for it?

BIOS upto date? Tried to remove/reinstall the latest RM version? Running it as admin? etc.

When I run RM i get a splash screen, then a warning dialog that i need to accept, then the main program opens.
    Do you get any of that or just nothing at all?