Star Wars: Squadrons

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Ghosty, Jun 15, 2020.

1. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Actually that energy management is directly from the Xwing / TieFighter titles of the 90ies. Which is perfect for vets like me. Never thought I'd see the day we have a modern successor of XvT. :D

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    How cool would it be if the people that make Need for Speed made a Star Wars Pod Racer game.... I'd buy that.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i'd rather the people who mad ep1 racer make a new pod racing game.

Shataan likes this.
  4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB

DannyD likes this.

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    needs a bit more hectic A LA movies type of hectic battles, still feels barren a bit or maybe im asking too much

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Squadrons supports HOTAS (throttle and joystick) controls on PC and consoles.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  7. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Actually looks pretty decent. But I will wait for some SP review, since I'm not at all interested in MP part.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  9. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Can't believe i'll play a SWsim in VR in 2 weeks. That's a historic moment for me.

Ghosty likes this.
  10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Over an hour of single player gameplay.

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    if you have EAPLAYpro (PC) you can play it for free in 20 minutes

12. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    played an hour, not bad it's a lot easier to control than Star Citizen, enabling HDR w/fullscreen might cause low framerates in cutscenes, the characters/NPC will have that issue but the world itself is fine

it might be a weird 1st run bug

13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    2 hours world exclusive on a singleplayer Star Wars game at ultra settings 4K, 10 mid-roll ads, Jackfrag and EA killing gameplay channel competition on youtube and milking it to the bone in the process. sigh

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Really surprised how well this game runs maxed out at 1440p on my ageing rig. Hitting 100-165 FPS during the first hour of combat and even the cutscenes are 120+ FPS (although some are pre-rendered FMV rather than real-time).

Looks absolutely stunning visually as well, perfectly capturing the look of classic Star Wars. Reminds me a lot of Wing Commander III too (one of the first PC games I ever played back in 1998 on my Pentium III), especially the hangar and briefing screens, which used fixed camera angles (with limited movement up, left, down and right). This is the only slight disappointment as I was hoping to be able to walk around freely in first or third person.

Speaking of third person, why is there no external views during the missions? The TIE fighter cockpit feels very claustrophobic, intentionally I guess, but it restricts how much you can see. The X-Wing cockpit is much better. No wonder the Empire lost if their pilots couldn’t see properly!!!

Any way, the gameplay, the combat, is simple but very enjoyable much like aforementioned Wing Commander was back in the day. Really enjoying the ride and it isn’t just because it’s Star Wars; the core game is fun and the whole game feels very polished for an EA game. No micro-transactions or loot boxes either, as far as I can tell.

15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Apparently it's using Frostbite engine? Won't watch JackFrag video i want the full surprise !

No Raytracing options it seems? I expected every Frostbite game after bf5 to feature raytracing options. Maybe they're on a completely different branch of the engine, would be sad to hear there isn't some form of unified engine developement and "Frosbite" is more marketing trademark than anything.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Jackfrags is an EA mouthpiece.

XenthorX likes this.
  17. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Beware! (Steam Version)

FPS report high on statistics (e.g. MSI Afterburner = 144FPS) however in-game engine feels like 30-60FPS.

HOTAS sticks have a deadzone in-game, even with in-game deadzone set to 0.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  18. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL
    the alpha had a refresh rate bug i see its still there

19. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    That Jackfrag video is actually bad for showing the game. He often crawls around just to turn his fighter or even parks his xwing directly next to a capital ship.

Basically he can't fly for sh!t. As an XvT vet it hurts just to look at it. :confused:o_O

AsiJu likes this.
  20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    What bug is that exactly?

I did notice that the framerate looked a bit choppy while panning the camera around in the hanger between different places. It looked sub-60 fps but the RTSS overlay was showing 163-165 fps. I enabled the Origin overlay (since this is not the Steam version) and it confirmed the framerate was 163-165 fps so I just put it down to a bug or an issue with G-SYNC. Enabling V-Sync in-game seemed to smooth it a little but I am using a G-SYNC monitor so the in-game setting is supposed to be set to Off and the NVIDIA Global Profile V-Sync setting to On which is how I have always had it set.

Framerate seemed fine in the actual game but, of course, you're flying around in deep space so movement in a vacuum does feel different and not as smooth. At least that is what I think unless that is also affected?