Mafia Trilogy (New Release)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by jwb1, May 13, 2020.

1. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Don't think there will be any discount, other than we got the remaster for 2 & 3 for free. But iirc the ones that preordered Magia 1 Definitive Edition got them too, so yeah...

3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF

5. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  6. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    this game runs fine as long as vsync is ON (to me at least) but it looks flat so Nvidia freestyle is there for the help with HDR tuning and clarity/sharpen filter to give it a sharper cleaner look

7. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Seems there is a bug with the engine when running the game in full screen on monitors with a greater refresh rate than 60Hz (144, 240 and higher)

Found a fix on YouTube:

- Locate your mafia executable (not the launcher executable)
    - Right-click it and go to properties, compatibility and and check the "Disable fullscreen optimisations" box, then click apply.

That should fix it. It happens in Mafia 3 as well, so should work for this game.

8. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
  9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    worth getting

10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Just started playing this last night, game is gorgeous.

Between this and Mafia 3, I really hope Hanger 13 get to do their original plan for Mafia 4 next.

11. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Played the game for a solid 6 hours last night. Loving it. It has all the charms of the original. However, you can see some of the Mafia 3 jank has carried over. Iffy cover system that doesn't snap at points you'd expect it to, some weird animations, pop in traffic when driving, weird daytime lighing, etc. Exactly how Mafia 3 behaved. But, it's still a really nice remake and i'll finish it. Bring on Mafia 4!

cerebus23 likes this.
  12. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Don't know about you guys... but I am blown away by the graphics on this game. This is more than just a remaster. The facial movements even out of the cutscenes are superb, and the texture resolution/material quality on everything especially at 4K is stellar. I just can't find anything bad to say about the graphics. The car model detail is off the charts. The lighting complexity in some of the rooms and the detail just wow.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't ray traced -- but it has the feel that it is.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    ShadowDuke likes this.
  13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's the same tech Hanger 13 used in Mafia 3, only this time they were given proper time to really make the best use of it.
    And it shows.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it's optimized further and while some of the NPC models vary a bit overall the game looks pretty good though the temporal anti-aliasing is a tad strong but effective though downsampling probably helps a lot but likely gets quite expensive for GPU performance at higher levels. (2x2 for width and height or 4x is already quite demanding though ha ha.)

Wrapped it up, explored a bit and the countryside is definitively improved although without Freeride Extreme there's not much to do outside of the missions besides scattered collectibles or exploring though many mission areas are locked off outside chapter replay here.

I like the expanded character personalities and story additions though they did also rewrite a few characters in the process and some of it's probably for player purposes explaining some elements a bit further though it can make some characters feel a bit dumb.
    A few scattered notes here and there probably a number of references or easter eggs I missed plus the collectibles for 1920's - 1930's comic magazines and these cards for info on characters.
    (And a fox thing for making players explore the city and outdoor area at least a bit. :p )

EDIT: Lots of jumps between in-game and rendered cutscenes too and other than the racing mission no major difficulties with the game but checkpoints same as the original can be a bit sparse and if enemies do actually hit health restoration can be problematic but the AI is usually not that good.
    (Though a few locations try to force more open less exploitable encounters.)

15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF

16. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    This guy isn't having any of it lol

17. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Ugh, Mack blows hot and cold. He thrives on being edgy, it's what he's all about. To slate a game for having 'consolised' brightness/gammar options is just silly. It's all for the clicks.

18. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    The more I progress, the more I am loving all the small changes they put into this edition. They managed to bring some fresh air without ruining it all. And all this was done in two years only.

19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    He is a bit much but can't really ignore the issues he brought up in the actual game. They're real.

20. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    I have an issue with the game saving. As I play and progress the game writes save files, but once I close the game and re-open it I do not have a continue story button. I can only replay the chapters I previously completed but, I am unable to continue. Any ideas?