Review: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVMe SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2020.

1. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    Sad to see that Samsung removed MLC-storage from their 'Pro'-portfolio. :-(

I own a 960 Pro with 2 TB and I'm very happy with it.

I was hoping to see sth. like a 970 Pro with 2TB, but all you can do is to plunder Ebay for remaining 960 Pro's.

2. ArtKursis

ArtKursis Member

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  3. Rise_Kode_Works

Rise_Kode_Works New Member

GPU:
    GTX3090 or whatever
    I have pre-ordered two drives from a retailer. But I don't actually know what to expect when I use raid0 as a boot drive with x2 samsung 980 pro, speed wise. Any insights?

4. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    expect nothing... Using single ssd will make youre system a bit faster ;) Want faster OS "drive"? Use Intel Optane 905p ;)

300MB 4k random read @ QD=1 and "infinity" TBW

Rise_Kode_Works likes this.

5. Rise_Kode_Works

Rise_Kode_Works New Member

GPU:
    GTX3090 or whatever
    My quest to eliminate load screens on 4K 60 Hz Cyberpunk 2077 & RDR2 continues! maybe a single 980 pro for boot and a raid 0 980 1.9tb drive for the game library. Maybe direct storage from microsoft arriving in 2021 will offer easy developer support for reduced load times on PC.

6. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Check out game load tests on youtube, type of SSD is not a major factor, only that you have a SSD.

The only way to really amp up disk access is to VROC 4 905p drives which will get you more than 10,000 MB sequential read while maintaining 200 MB 4K random.

In a single drive configuration you still have to choose between blazing 4K and blazing sequential and due to the crap price and crap capacity of Optane, just stick with a single good SSD.

As mentioned above, putting NAND in RAID 0 damages 4K performance too much to be viable in most use cases.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
  8. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    You said it yourself. You'll never be able to eliminate loading screens for current games or even Cyberpunk 2077. You'll need to wait until games start using DirectStorage and are optimized for the speeds that these drives deliver.

theoneofgod and Rise_Kode_Works like this.
  9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Saying that with a fast nvme loading screens are massively reduced.
    Just sayin'.:)

Rise_Kode_Works likes this.
  10. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Happy with the 970 evo plus.
    Some crazy temps for the 980 pro...

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Disk speed is not the constraint for loading screens, you'll notice no better on an nvme vs an ssd.

toyo likes this.
  12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Hey i noticed different.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no you didn't.

14. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    LOL what a joke, ok i believe a linus vid and not my own experience.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Going to a SSD over a HDD made for a incredibly impressive speed up in most games in addition to most OS activities.
    OS file system itself and the way Windows does things I assume is where all this "up to" gigabyte speed differences are effectively nullified however with the randoms and thousands of smaller files plus for some drives you also have a cache that could fill up and slow down the max performance for the drive.

EDIT: Loading time from a few minutes to seconds but I think it would have worked very similar on a SATA SSD or PCI Express variant long as it's not a HDD.

Bigger chunks of files and smooth transfer of data works well but the random bursts and variable speeds on all these smaller bits of data and how the OS operates and works it's not quite there yet.

EDIT: But jamming the most critical data into RAM or VRAM wonder if Direct Storage could do some improvement here with SSD's shortening that transfer time.
    (Think you need NVME 1.4+ for it though not sure on the hardware specifics.)

Remains to be seen though, PC doesn't get this stuff until first half of 2021 and then it has to be implemented and utilized by the game or game engine and all that.
    Hopefully without any more differences between AMD and NVIDIA too potentially making some problems for how things are supported here.

EDIT: Efficiency in game engine design and compression and storage too, RAD Tools has some impressive tech here for texture data and speedy loading of it but that also needs to be utilized.

Anything's a improvement over some 100k loosely placed files in random folders though even if some simple .DAT storage maybe doesn't allow for efficient CPU and threading for speeding up file loading.
    Trails of Cold Steel 3 finally using a compression algorithm and data container and that did a number on loading times even on more high-end computer systems and of course consoles.
    (To use a game example where it works.)
    (Sacred 2 and popping thousands of files into regular .zip containers for one where it doesn't.)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Definitely, because flash storage is all about those access times, and making those tiny ass file accesses doable in parallel instead of moving the actuator to a new part of the drive.

17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I noticed the difference going from 970 evo plus to generic hynix nvme taken from laptop, the hynix is fast but doesn't touch the evo plus.
    For me having the OS on the fastest drive is important, i plan to replace my hynix games drive next week with a 980 pro. i really should make it my main drive but no way in hell i'm gonna reinstall.

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the removal of seek times and the moving disk header and all that, multiple platter solutions for getting these Terabyte sized drives and the numbers promoting the RPM's or the drives cache memory but lacking these finer details and actual performance results from the limits with a mechanical drive. :)

EDIT: I knew it'd be one impressive upgrade but it was still something else moving away from a HDD to a SSD with a storage drive for the other data.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    was that hynix a dramless nvme?

20. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Im not sure how to check?
    Ill have it out next week and share 980 pro temps with everyone, at least in general use scenarios.