GeForce RTX 3080 CTD Issues likely due to POSCAP and MLCC configuration

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It would be better if it was software issue then it would be fixable like in amd case.

2. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    On the plus side, all ti/super editions will excel in quality, as they'll be under extra scrutiny now. I was going to wait for the 20 GB 3080 or, taking the age of my system into account, the 16 GB 3070 anyway.

HandR and Solfaur like this.
  3. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Was NGG ever fixed on Vega?

4. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080

5. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Well he has a point especially if you are an electrical engineer like him and you eyeball it and know its not a POASCAP. Its kind of like calling every small car a corolla even know its not. A POSCAP is a very specific Panasonic product of which no 3080 GPU is using. Sure its obscure for most but I do find it funny all these sites are porting them as POSCAP's. Everyone should have just said polymer electrolytic capacitors vs multi-layer ceramic capacitors.

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Palit is still okay there, they use 1 MLCC as MSI and many others, Zotac and Colorful I think use only POSCAP

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

pharma likes this.
  7. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    POSCAPS = PieceOfShitCAPS? :p:D

moo100times likes this.
  8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    it wasn't ever "broken", however the way it is implemented on vega makes it extremely difficult to make it implicit at a driver level(i saw few emails on the linux mailing list a few years ago , alluding that there is a problem with vega hanging when switching between the old pipeline and the NGG pipeline which would make debugging difficult), hence why amd cancelled it and said that it would require an explicit implementation via new apis(like a vulkan extention).
    Ive heard that on mac it is exposed or was exposed via apple's metal api, but I cant confirm that.

On navi the implementation problems have been addressed.

9. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    ASUS owners are also reporting problems. I have a strix oc on preorder, luckily reckon I have the time to see how this pans out, I don't think the problem is 100% understood yet.

10. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    Has everyone seen this in the meantime? Says to me that big Navi just beats the 3080 by 1-3%, could be why this Nvidia launch has been a disaster as they knew they had to get something out early and why they had to drop the titan branding to rebrand it a 3090 as the 'best' gaming card(titan was always mostly workstation) as it was the only way to guarantee a win against AMD. Big Navi, 80cu with 'real' numbers, not the stupid inflated core count Nvidia is trying to peddle. This launch has been a disaster for Nvidia, I just hope AMD can capitalize
    amdbignavi.png

11. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Asus is the only card ive seen with all six of the good ones.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I got to side with CPC_RedDawn. It looks like the card is just boosting too much for the low quality component some AIB manufacturers have put in their cards. Low quality components not meeting the reference standard. The fix should be easy. Simply a new BIOS for those cards with less aggressive boost. Those cards will need to be re-reviewed though and yes it does suck for people who bought them. But i mean that's the risk you take for being an early adopter. I'll never understand people who buy a product in the first month. Personally i always wait at least 1 month and preferably two.

I think people were overreacting with Ryzen 2 not reaching it's "up to" boost and the 5600XT bios "fiasco". Overall I always thought people overreact when AMD got launch problems. I wont be an hypocrite and turn around and criticize nVidia for not predicting AIB manufacturers would cheapen out on the caps. Not the first time a CPU or GPU got problem with boost. Don't think it's gonna be an issue long term outside of well people should have waited before buying as it's always the case and they'll end up with the wrong 3rd party card sadly. It sucks but it's on the manufacturer of the card.

Only problem i see with this is nVidia went over the reference with their FE. If the reference would have been two sets of small caps like the FE then it could have made a different. FE should stick to the reference.

barbacot likes this.
  13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Except 6x MLCCs means jack, as the TUF also crashes. JayZTwoCents will have a video about later.

Something else is wrong with the 3000 series, cuz some people still report crashing despite underclocking by 100 MHz.

14. panogr

panogr Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800XT Ref

If they make faulty POSCAP and MLCC configuration then the problem is in hardware , if this is hardware problem then product is faulty. if they lower the clocks in the new bios, it won't be the cards that the customers bought ;)
    for example: you bought a car, but the manufacturer has detected an engine fault that causes the car to go off. as a solution they will remove one cylinder for you :)

lukas_1987_dion likes this.
  15. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Poor example.
    A bios can downclock and still be within the advertised boost range, just no OC or boost beyond the spec.

If a car engine produces well above the advertised horespower and that causes problems, then the car maker can bring the HP back to advertised spec in order to fix the issue.

16. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    I think that may be review models or early pics cos Jay2cent took one apart and this was not the case.

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    The way I see it is that they state that base and boost clock is a guarantee anything above that is not. This is where the GPU boost algorithm takes over and looks at power, temps, etc, etc and boosts accordingly. There is no number advertised for this as every chip is different.

Skip to 14:13, he proves my point

18. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Really the TUF crashes too. So maybe it has nothing to do with the caps? If it's the case then i take back everything i posted above.

19. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    The problem here is that cards are crashing when not overclocked in any way. It seems that GPU boost is quite capable of crashing the card without any human help.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    panogr likes this.
  20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Well yes that is the whole point with GPU boost, it auto overclocks the card for you based on Nvidia's algorithm which looks at heat, power, etc, etc and then it scales on its own.

It's still NOT a guaranteed clock speed. If these cards are crashing when hitting advertised idle or normal boost clocks then yes I would call them defective but I have not seen any reports of crashing when hitting them, it seems to be when hitting around 2GHz where GPU boost says its ok to boost but the AIB boards can't handle the overclock because of the parts used.

Still doesn't take away the fact that they will probably just release a firmware update that changes the power play tables so the cards don't boost as high and nothing can be done about it legal wise as they never guaranteed those speeds.

Undying, Thunk_It and AuerX like this.