3080 Owner's thread!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Syranetic, Sep 17, 2020.

1. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/g...ely_due_to_poscap_and_mlcc_configuration.html

Quote from HH
    ''Also, I read in the forums somewhere that people where wondering if NVIDIA checks AIB PCBs, I can answer that as it has been a policy for many years. The answer to that is yes, all boards are validated by NVIDIA and need to be approved before the manufacturers can mass-produce them.''

2. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    It confirms EVGA did more testing, yes.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Their post confirms cards tested prior to the first driver release had problems.
    Those sent to reviewers were in this state, the reviewers proved problems existed.

4. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    I guess you and I just read it differently, to me EVGA very much is saying they caught it themselves thru testing.

"During our mass production QC testing we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the POSCAPs to 4 and add 20 MLCC caps prior to shipping production boards, this is why the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 series was delayed at launch. There were no 6 POSCAP production EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 boards shipped.

But, due to the time crunch, some of the reviewers were sent a pre-production version with 6 POSCAP’s, we are working with those reviewers directly to replace their boards with production versions.
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 series with 5 POSCAPs + 10 MLCC solution is matched with the XC3 spec without issues."

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    That doesnt explain how reviewers were sent problem cards if they had supposedly already found them to be substandard.
    The last people you want to send a faulty card to are reviewers!
    That suggests reviewers found the problem, which is why NVidia delayed review releases until the cards were replaced.

Lipici and endbase like this.
  6. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE

The FTW3 cards were delayed and weren't available at launch.
    The cards were shipped to reviewers about a week before launch. It sounds like they had produced some cards already but identified the problem and had to rollback the launch of the FTW3 to fix the design. But at that point cards had been already sent to reviewers for the launch.

EVGA's transparency on this could explain why stock has been soo limited at launch if a lot of the AIB vendors had simular issues and had to rollback production to fix the issue only 2-3 weeks before the product launch.

Maddness, Icanium and Noisiv like this.
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Reviewers found their cards were crashing and reported it.
    EVGA confirmed the problem and tracked it down to the capacitors used.

All AIBs appear to have been affected, even Asus.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    plot thickens...

9. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    HARDRESET likes this.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I guess many are lucky these cards were/are so hard to get. Thanks Nvidia! :D New golden rule for future GPU launches, do not be an early guinea pig, er, adopter. Give at least 3 months. When particular models are well into circulation, and no reports of issues, then you should be OK.

GarrettL, Turanis and endbase like this.
  12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    ASUS seems incredible this time around, has it always been the case and i'm only noticing now? Never owned an ASUS gpu.

HARDRESET likes this.
  13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Good stuff,Thank you very much. :)

Another Good German guy who discover the greedy and furious faster launch of unfinished product (see Gtx 970 3.5 Vram story).
    And yeah,Asus did a good job this time.Hopefully they do another good job to other gpu chip company.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    HARDRESET likes this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    people with degree's don't comment on crap they don't have physically in front of them

Unwinder and AuerX like this.
  15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    He's not arriving at definitive conclusions on the issue and he does say he cant be certain unless he has the GPUs with him to examine them, ideally with an oscilloscope. His opinions are interesting though and I would guess far more qualified to make them than most ppl on the internet who have commented on the issue.

AuerX and HARDRESET like this.

16. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Maddness and Witcher29 like this.
  17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    When will nvidia respond to this? I cant believe these is still no official respond from them.

HARDRESET likes this.
  18. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Ok now this , i am lucky to live down the street from Micro Center and Best buy.

19. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    You're wrong. Nobody cant beat Poor sora. Shes already in nvidia garage fixing all 3080 with thor hammer.
    Never underestimate her.

HARDRESET likes this.
  20. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    Big shout out to the scalpers out there who bought the majority of the duds at launch. Seems they were doing the rest of us a favour :p

Keitosha, -Tj-, southamptonfc and 7 others like this.