GeForce RTX 3080 CTD Issues likely due to POSCAP and MLCC configuration

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2020.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Thanks for the clear article @Hilbert Hagedoorn , Nvidia having a final say in board design, they had it coming. Really wondering why they let this happen, it's bad publicity.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Financial quarter perhaps, market lead isn't going to change just like that from AMD potentially having something competitive against the high-end this time (Even if it's a shorter time frame too.) plus the consumers wouldn't know the details on what the GPU has or doesn't have and wouldn't immediately switch over even if it does end up being similar in performance finally on the workstation side CUDA means it's NVIDIA that gets used.

EDIT: Fiscal I think is how it's called actually.

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-announces-financial-results-for-second-quarter-fiscal-2021

So September-October-November for Q3 then?
    Launch of Ampere as a strong start perhaps, I can only speculate really wouldn't have the insight into this sort of stuff and financial results or expectations or the status and all that.

EDIT: Or..the Q2 results right there and some of what's written from that.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Never had an issue with stability with Nvidia cards in last 15 years. In fact, thats no.1 criteria that keeps me sticking to them.

4. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    Where did you see that? From what eVGA has officially stated, they detected it early, samples sent to reviews had the old setup where as all production to consumers were with the new setup.

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    This seems like a pretty colossal hardware screw up. I'd say this eclipses the GTX970 3.5GB+0.5 vram snafu. At least those cards worked perfectly fine, stock or overclocked.

lukas_1987_dion and Fediuld like this.
  6. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    The issue may be not related only to this and it could not be blamed on manufacturers only...
    From reddit:

Maddness likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Nvidia could know something we dont. Every rumor so far saying amd clearly have something big, something refreshing. Redtech is saying how they sre extremely satisfied what they have and its overcome to goal they've set up.

8. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    This is what happens at every launch. Nvidia comes out with some cards that crush everything from the past generation. AMD is hyping up and the fans eat it up that THIS is the year that AMD has something to beat them and when it's released is usually below AMD. Not bashing AMD here, but this have happened time from time and i usually travell between both Nvidia and AMD, but for the last two generations, i've gone with Nvidia

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
  10. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    That depends on the level of satisfaction they want...
    Every rumor points to the fact that they could come close to 3080 performance but not surpass it, the price will be approximately the same, they will use slower gddr6 memory but larger in size (16 GB that will be annulled by 20 GB 3080) and have a slightly lower power draw (300 vs 320). Also every rumor says that they could not and would not compete with the flagship from nvidia - 3090...
    Also rumors are that ray tracing performance will be nvidia first gen rtx comparable and limited to only top models.

If they are satisfied by that good for them...

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Yeah, looks like this is a far bigger problem.

13. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    This time they focussed only on HEAT DISSIPATION SYSTEM. Poor nvidia....:(

14. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I'll see if i can dig up the posts when i get back home

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Also, I'm calling BS on that guy [Gabriele Gorla) who had a picture of MLK on the wall...that was put there, I suspect, by someone other than him. (a) it was not a framed picture, unlike the other picture he had (b) it was not straight (c) it had a bend in it, as if someone literally just placed it there, and tried to stick it to the wall with blu-tac or pritt stick...maybe a folded piece of sellotape.

Don't get me wrong, he is clearly intelligent (8 patents to his name) but that MLK picture felt like a plant - so for that and that alone, I'm calling BS.

16. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Lots of things never get revised two times. In some case, you're lucky to see one revision. I think the first revision should be a good enough.

Caesar likes this.
  17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    totaly agree with that... but i am sorry for them at the same time.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I am sorry for early adopters, but again, believing the hype and buying first batches comes with a risk.
    Again, the fault lies not with the buyers, but with Nvidia.

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Thats good to know then, looks like Asus found the issue before they could release their cards into the wild. Also this means ASUS 3080's are actually using OVER Nvidia's spec as the FE uses a 4pos+2mlcc. Looks like ASUS is the one to go with here until the other AIB's can sort something out.

It's not actually defective.

You are only guaranteed base and boost clocks (3080 base is 1440MHz and boost is 1710MHz) anything over this is classed as GPU Boost which you are not guaranteed as each chip has different levels of quality within the silicon. Not to mention other factors like case, cooling, ambient temps of someones room, etc. If two people had the exact same 3080 card there is a good chance that one "gpu boosts" higher than the other due to certain factors.

This issue with the caps only occurs when either manually overclocking or when GPU boost hits above 2GHz. So technically you are still getting what was advertised whereby the highest clock speed is 1710MHz (or slightly above for AIB OC models). GPU boost is not a guarantee.

Not trying to defend this as it is BS but there is an easy out for Nvidia and the AIB's.

20. clopezi

clopezi Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    In Reddit, many people with TUF cards have the same CTD problems...