GeForce RTX 3080 CTD Issues likely due to POSCAP and MLCC configuration

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2020.

1. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    After the RTX 2080 Ti (not only) dying scandal, I thought they would be more careful this time.
    Ofc it's NVidia's fault, AIB partners were always releasing thier own versions most of the time with average/high OC and it was never a problem before.
    Always blaming PSU as source of such problems is so popular nowadays lol

Btw, many folks with FE are also reporting the same problems.. I'm so glad I did not jump on the crazy wagon this time xD

Fediuld likes this.
  2. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Apparently cards with the fancy caps are also crashing so who knows how this will play out.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Looks like Nvidia, due to a rushed launch and not giving AIBs enough time to test.
    MSI uses the higher quality SP-CAPs, not POSCAPs.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Probably because the FE uses 3 different caps.

They have atleast 2 SP-CAPs and 2 MLCCs but they use a third type with the number 220 on it.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Bryan said his Tuf is crashing if overclocked and Jay said his threadripper system become unstable and crashing with his FE card on 1200w psu. Before that 2080ti was 100% stable. We'll all see what happens next when more people get their hands on the card and do some testing.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    If ALL cards are crashing, it looks like there won't be any 3000 series for the rest of the year.

Seems to be a more serious issue, if 6 MLCCs also crash.

Fediuld likes this.
  7. VenTK

VenTK Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070
    Imagine eBay suddenly flooded with like-new 3080 cards. This is just gonna snowball somewhere...

8. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    Rut Row :rolleyes:

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Yeah, that's gonna suck.

Fediuld likes this.
  10. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Crossing my fingers that this is just a driver issue. My card is arraving monday/thuesday :O

11. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Looks like EVGA pulled the plug and stopped the sales of their cards and working on rev2. They have allready confirmed that there are some issues with the rev1 and seening threads on reddit that EVGA 3080 are showing up as "Discontinued" on some stores.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wow for price of the fracker you would think they tested things before releasing it

Maddness and lukas_1987_dion like this.
  13. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    According to EVGA. There were limited time to test since they had to start production before they even got drivers to test the cards :O

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    costly excuse now they gona have to replace said card for said people that got them at cost to them self cause they didnt want to test nvidia didnt force them start production without testing before mass production is done full testing should be done.

15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Sometimes business secrecy is a double-edged sword. They prevented performance leaks at the cost of thorough testing.

ZXRaziel and Maddness like this.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    All Asus model are actually using 6 higher tier MLCC, all the shots and sometimes Early youtubers had pre-production cards.

ASUS GeForce TUF RTX 3080 O10G GAMING
    [​IMG]

ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG STRIX
    [​IMG]

ASUS and EVGA also started updating their product pictures accordingly:
    https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING/gallery/
    https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-STRIX-RTX3080-10G-GAMING/gallery/

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  17. panogr

panogr Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800XT Ref
    people should get their money back as it is defective product.

Maddness, lukas_1987_dion and Fediuld like this.
  18. Ojref

Ojref Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 7900 XTX
    As with any electronic component, all manufacturers strive to reduce costs on the bill of materials while keeping the product functional. Without going into much of a deep dive, IMO this substitution of a POSCAP was probably driven by reducing the BOM and number of components dropped in by pick and place machines as a cost and time-saving measure. I'm willing to bet that it's not JUST these POSCAPs, but a combination of components in the circuit that's introducing runtime operational problems. Just because on the surface a part of a circuit is generally described as filtering or bandpass doesn't mean that it also has a secondary function, like a tank. I'm willing to bet this was a small oversight/handwave by an engineer that developed into a larger issue. I suppose the inventories being choked probably worked in everyone's favor after all.

19. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    The financial hit to retailers when a mass return surge on these cards hits is going to cause them to rethink carrying nvidia based graphics cards in the future. Nvidia and AIB partners are not going to reimburse retailers for the full purchase cost of the RMAed cards. This is going to result in a loss of profits for the retailers. AMD is probably ROFLing right now over this absolutely pointless issue that should have never happened. Nvidia and the AIBs deserve what they get from this travesty. Not letting the cards get real world testing before release; it is quite laughable. It will be better if Nvidia knew about this and let the cards get released anyway. I will be returning my ASUS TUF card to Microcenter for a refund as I will not accept a card that does not function as intended. I have had CTD issues with a wide range of games at stock clocks. Downclocking a card from factory clocks is not a fix. I will wait to see what AMD has before I upgrade. From my expierence AMD cards are not as fast but are FAR more stable from my experience. If I have to work on a old desktop I always throw in a Ati/AMD card for testing because they always work; putting in a old nvidia card is always a crapshoot. Who ever puts these first gen 3080s up on ebay is going to get no takers or they will sell for cents on the dollar because no one is going to want to take a chance on them being stable. Nvidia fumbles again. I am not surprised.

20. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Thats a giant eff up.

Makes me wonder... why is nVidia in such a rush? There has to be a reason behind this strange release.

Its either the consoles, or they have some info about AMD.

Undying likes this.