Guru3D Content Review: GeForce RTX 3090 (FE) Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    So... this card is much better to use in work environment than gaming.
    If you need the memory and your work depends on it -> Speed the cash for a 3090.
    If you only game -> Stop at 3080 or, depending on scenario, the 3070.
    If you do both? ......or you are rich? Sure.

2. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Where you get 300 for extra cores? I hope you don't mean it costs NVidia 300 more for extra cores - because it does not. Exactly the same die as 3080, just no broken & disabled blocks in this one.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    is why steve is working at GN and not in NV marketing :)

his entire point of "should have been marketed as workstation" is incredibly moot imho.

1) first of all, nothing that a company says about their product can diminish, or raise for that matter, the value of the of their product. 3090 is what it is. So its a bogus point, UNLESS... unless steve is concerned with NV earnings from 3090 due to bad marketing.
    2) in which case it could be argued that 3090 is kinda smart marketing, because it avoids Titan/Pro classification, and tries to target regular gamers, who otherwise might skip strictly prosumer card.
    3) which leaves the case of steve being concerned about false/misleading marketing targeting gamers with a non-gamer prosumer card, which again is WTF. Is he suggesting that these potential buyers are unable to read reviews and count FPS?
    if ppl can dish $1500 without reading reviews, then 3090 is what they need. This card is MADE FOR THEM

not willing to die on this hill, just my $0.02

Nvidia's 8k is just marketing. Companies throw wild slogans all the time. Anyone taking marketing talk for a gospel is fully deserving of everything he gets.
    That being said DLSS is a move in a right direction when it comes to 8k/Ultra High res gaming. Brute forcing 4x 4k and expecting playable frames, knowing that 4k@60fps has been reached only recently, is bonkers.
    OTOH it seems that 8k@30fps does not even need DLSS, so it's doable TODAY (though there were same frame pacing issues), which is kinda amazing

4. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    That has to be quote of the day I think o_O I don't know what exclusive, executive circles you run around in :D

5. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Right :D...

I hope AIB take notes and may move toward cooling solutions similar to the 3090 founder, that's really impressive. The latest Asus looks impressive too for temperature management.

6. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Also regarding marketing, strategy, pricing of this 3090.... this is classic triple marketing strategy being used for years in every tech segment.

If you want to sell the lot of an expensive product, the way to do it is split it up into three... always three... one cheaper version which is cut down slightly to make it less attractive, and one way more expensive version which is only a slight bit better.

This way you get the Goldilocks effect - not too cold, not too hot, but just right.

90% of consumers then go for the middle option, because psychologically the cheap one is "below them, they are better than that rubbish", but the expensive option is way too much, could never afford it, doesn't add much more features, but what it does do and is designed to do is make the original middle option seem affordable.

So company sells exactly the original middle product which is the actual product they wanted to sell in the first place.

This is marketing 101 - oldest trick in book. Watch out for it. Used all over tech. Apple doing it for years (the 16GB, 64GB, 256GB triple). People fall hook line and sinker for it too.

7. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    hes suggesting that intentionally disingenuous marketing is an objectionable action on principle, and hes correct...but addressing your point specifically anyway, there unfortunately are uninformed people out there who make large purchasing decisions based upon marketing - in fact, theyre everywhere. its how apple came to economic prominence shortly after smartphones were invented, for example. im friends with a few casual gamers with disposable income, and they literally just read marketing material, see the fast shiny new thing, and spend their money. they ask me for advice and then their eyes glaze over when i explain anything beyond a cursory level.

i dont mean any of this confrontationally, far from it, noisiv. however i do feel that the full court press of "8K gaming" with a 3090 after one slide jensen threw up saying 8K was possible with DLSS is basically a microcosm of nvidias attitude towards customers: exploitative.

carnivore likes this.
  8. ingeon

ingeon Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-768I
    Really dissapointed that Guru3d didnt do a 8k 7680 × 4320 report in the benchmarks (DLSS on and off)
    Even starting the trend for future articles with 8k on 2xxx series vs 3xxx and beyond.
    Also have i missed them or where are the frame time analysis we've come to love here...

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    No it definitely has disabled parts. There's room above it for a 3090 Ti and probably a Titan above that. The 3080 is just cut down a ton.

Did you really think nVidia would sell a full unborked die at $1500 USD when idiots will lap up anything they crap out at any price? Of course not. The only reason the outrageous prices aren't even worse is because of the fear of AMD's Radeon group not being miserable failures for once this decade.

Icanium likes this.
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It has 2 SM's disabled. You're not making a 3090Ti and Titan with 2 SMs.

I think the disagreement is going to lie within the scope of what you and I consider fair advertising. I don't think what Nvidia did here was fair. You and I both know GPUs very well and know where to look for proper reviews, understand fundamentally what DLSS is , Native vs Upscaled, Dynamic Resolution, etc. Most customers don't. You're giving it a pass because it's a $1500 card, presumably people spending that much money on a card are going to do the research - but if you give it a pass here they are just going to move the goalposts to $1000 cards, then $500 cards, then $200 cards, etc. "The brand new 4060 is a 4K60fps card because DLSS and all the games have dynamic resolution"

Look at it from a different industry. If Chevy started saying "The new Corvette is now a 300mph super car" and everyone started saying "The new corvette goes 300MPH!!!!!" and a few reviewers with access to Nürburgring take it out and find it doesn't actually go 300, it actually only goes 200. Then chevy comes out and says "oh sorry we meant it goes that fast in a vacuum, no air resistance" Would you say to everyone that bought the car "it's fine, they should have watched more reviews instead of just trusting chevy". Idk, I don't even know what an appropriate analogy would be but I don't care for that thought process. The companies numbers should be based in reality, or at least based on what customers expect them to be based on. A card marketed with 8K gaming should be able to run games at 8K natively, not with DLSS, not with dynamic resolution, not with way lower settings.. and I shouldn't have to rely on reviewers to qualify Nvidia's marketing.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    carnivore, moo100times and Neo Cyrus like this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    except doom and forza show otherwise.....

12. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Lots of people still have not adopted 4k even though you can get a decent 4k hrd10 for under £350, given the price of 8k screens we`ll be on 8xxx series gpu`s before 8k is the norm.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean if I ran pong at 16K would it be considered a 16K card? Like where do you draw the line with that? Two games can do it natively? Are they even natively? Both games have Dynamic scaling. Watching MKBHD's Forza video doesn't look like it's averaging the 78fps that Nvidia claims it does.

In GTA5 it can only do 30. In ROTR, a 5 year old game, it has frame times of 90ms. None of this screams "8K Gaming Card" to me.

StarvinMarvinDK likes this.
  14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Nothing to do with exclusivity.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Its an irrelevant resolution to 99% of the gaming community at this point in time. And should be irrelevant forever imo unless you are talking about sitting up close to massive screens so you can see the diff between it and 4k.

16. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    The reason I like this card is the cooling solution , only up to 20 % faster if properly utilized but much quieter and cooler . This would make a lovely workstation card .

17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    For a workstation/professional usage card I guess it makes sense. For gaming only, hell no!

ZXRaziel likes this.
  18. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Is anyone really fooling themselves that a 20gb 3080 will cost less than $1000?

19. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I don’t think it’s irrelevant forever even if it is irrelevant now. 4k does still come with some noticeable aliasing. 8k will probably solve aliasing completely for the human eye. It’s once you get beyond 8k where things start to break down.

carnivore likes this.
  20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I don't know why I thought it was more than that. Are you sure it's just 2? Damn, LOL...