Microsoft acquires Bethesda

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Ghosty, Sep 21, 2020.

• A good amount of them shutdown around the financial crash of 08'
    • The rest was pretty bad studios to begin with (shouldn't have purchased)
    • Lionhead was Molyneaux's fault IMO - guy was a walking ego and a moron - kept pushing projects to big to finalize
    • Bungie was made a global success by Microsoft despite what they claim. They'd never have made Halo as big or widespread on their own. They were naive to not have generated a better agreement regarding the distribution of royalties for the franchise; that was pure business - their fault you cannot blame enterprise for doing what it does. They're fine now, people act like they ended up terribly.
    • 343 is doing just fine.
    • Obsidian got purchased backed and was able to come back to the scene with the Outer Worlds. MS partnered with them and provided that opportunity - granted Obsidian worked hard and created the game.
    Let's drop the revisionist history bs.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I think they underpaid, simply speaking.

That is quite possibly the bargain of the century - the value of the individual components and tech is much much much more than $7.5.

Really. No joke. No sarcasm. Not my usual ramblings on this.

That's a steal.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    PrMinisterGR and Evildead666 like this.
  2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Doom Eternal sold over 700,000 copies on the PC alone.

Evildead666 and Loobyluggs like this.
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Exactly.

4. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    They buy only the some name of that companies and the price is too much.If the people leave the company,then MS will remain with the names of some older good games.Only people matter,the rest its just some names.
    Carmack or maybe Romero wants to return to ID,but why?His last games are not so good(Romero is in the same boat).The new guys at ID do a good job with DOOM series or that guys who make the new Wolfenstein series.

Arcane studios are still good,Bethesda is still on old engine and with that old ideas from Todd & Hines the future is not so good(they need fresh ideas with fresh & open minded for gaming good devs,not open minded political guys).
    Btw,Obsidian did a good job with Fallout New Vegas and then,what good games they release?Nothing to be good from them.So a virtual FNV 2 have not a chance to be good.

5. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    7.5 billion is quite a price tag. Hopefully the new management structure will lead to better game development. And I of course hope it will lead to improved support after a game is released.

6. Valkyr09

Valkyr09 Member

GPU:
    GTX 2070 Super
    This is the best news so far. Come on Microsoft has been doing great things with Github, Minecraft, etc. I am excited to see what they will come up.

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    CHOO CHOO NEW VEGAS 2 CHOO CHOO

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    $7.5 billion dollars bro, these games will be Xbox and PC exclusive and also a lot of them, if not all of them, will be on game pass.

Maybe some of the current games already in the works will end up on PS5 and Switch as well as a lot of work on them has already been done on them. All future games will be exclusive. These major titles like Fallout, ES, ESO, Wolfenstien, Doom, Starfield, etc, etc will entice more people to jump ship.

Sure there will be hatred at first but people will just inevitably buy an Xbox or a PC to play these games. Either way they get more subscriptions and ultimately end up moving towards games as service and then eventually full on cloud gaming.

9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Fallout, ES and Starfield all suffer the same issue, the god awful Gamebyro engine, Creation Engine. The games have been on a steady slide in quality with the only notable exception being FONV which needed a new development team to make it easily the best game that currently uses the GB, CE engine. I don't hold any hopes for the next ES, FO or Starfield as Bethesda seem to be stuck using a game engine that is simply not up to the job or more worryingly they have no idea how to get the best out of their own game engine. Wolfenstien is on the same slide as FO and ES with each game getting slowly worse. Currently Bethesdas only hope is is Doom, aren;t they only a publisher though so not sure how ownership of the game actually works in that regard?

I may also be incorrect about this but to my memory most the PS ports of various Bethesda developed games have been pathetically bad, suffering from numerous game breaking bugs and issues so if any of those owners had wanted one of their games they would have already jumped ship by now anyway, most likely to PC ;)

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050

user1 likes this.
  11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Only PS3 versions suffered mostly due to the cell processor.

12. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    All of them will be on Game Pass - agreed.

I would be very surprised if they took full exclusivity of ES and Fallout though - at least while Spencer is in charge. Obviously they might - I think it's a bit of a nuclear option for them though.
    The sensible thing would be 6 month timed exclusive.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  13. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    Yeah, 18 years ago.
    [​IMG]

HandR and Neo Cyrus like this.
  14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Y'know what? I had to look that up, because I would have put money on the fact the PS2 was the one with the cell processor, not the PS3...I thought the PS3 was an x86 with nvidia gpu slapped on the board somewhere.

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    "gamepass momentum"

bad timeline confirmed

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I still liked 2011's Skyrim I have to admit :(

Embra and TheSissyOfFremont like this.
  17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Never played it. I'm probably the only person not to have at the time of release.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Never too late, I still play it from time to time.... it's one of those games where you can always find something new and have fun.

Then there are the mods....

19. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE