NVIDIA Officially Apologizes - Underestimated demand for RTX 3080 FE cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Lily GFX and Thunk_It like this.
  2. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    It just sounds to me like another artificial hype from Nvidia. Let's apologize that our cards are in short supply and oh my, the demand is so great, because the cards are so super great and everyone has to have one first day. Oh please Nvidia, really, that's enough.

3. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    A ridiculous PR response. Wonder how many months it will be before we have actual stock in stores and normal prices.
    Not everyone is living in the US/UK/Germany and in many countries it will take time before we can actual buy them.
    Gone are the days when companies built inventory before they launch something.
    Now it's all overhype and full marketing way earlier.

Fediuld and anticupidon like this.
  4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Apologies only go so far. They need to build and release new stock pretty quickly. Big Navi news comes out in around 5 weeks. So they need to start burning the midnight oil.

Fediuld likes this.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Just ...makes me dislike Nvidia even more.

Fediuld and ITGuru like this.
  6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Demand IS way higher than for the 2080. The question is why?

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I see it as a type of scam, people buy them all up then sell them at a higher price.... at least this is what I'm seeing.

anticupidon likes this.
  8. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    And lets not forget the FE is the equivelent of the A-dies on the RTX2000 series.
    There is a slower version for the masses, but the reviewers will be send the top of the range A-die cards and build up hype.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    They're gonna have to start doing two step verification for new products. Send a confirmation code to a valid phone number to prevent bots from buying up all the stock.

mezball and anticupidon like this.
  10. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Classical fan the flames of demand make a product artificially exclusive by either pricing it huge and hype or restrict supplies to create a buying frenzy or both, I fell for it with the 2080ti and over paid wont be doing it again the uplift is not worth it on my liquid cooled 2080ti am going wait for big navi first and then see how the market pans out

ITGuru likes this.

11. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    If that's the case they are not very impressive. These cards barely overclock and actually have lower clocks than Pascal. I don't know if a core to core comparison can be made though?

That's not a scam, it's customers being stupid :D
    I can purchase a 3080 right now for retail price. I just have to wait an estimated until November to get it.

12. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    "Underestimated demand for 3080 FE cards" oh sweet sweet lies

Fediuld likes this.
  13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Got information that boost clock can vary alot when getting a card from 3rd party manufacturers
    Highest boost clock was 1750Mhz, unlike what you can see in reviews where it goes beyond 1900Mhz clock easily.
    Btw in this case it's Gainward, even second card does not reach more than 1850Mhz boost.

Andy Watson likes this.
  14. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    I think the demand is so high because the 1080 was such a good card for the money that when the 2080 came along people thought it overpriced for what extra you were paying for, ie the RTX side was not worth the outlay or extra speed for the cost, so kept with that generation.

Those people now think the price and performance makes for a good upgrade path. However, the question still arises why do people have to buy on the first day apart from being to present the new toy on forums etc? We all know that prices right at the start are going to be over the odds with price gouging before the supply ramps up.

Buying before seeing if any cards have make of cards has any issues is strange. We know that sometimes AIBs make a mistake and have to rectify a card or cards. This time nvidia kept the drivers away from the AIBs until really late and also the AIBs are all doing their own board design and cooling, away from a recommended nVidia board based on the FE, due to the FE cooling for the 3080, so even more chance of picking up a clunker on the first day compared to normal.

Is having it first worth the potential downsides, I don't think it is.

It will be interesting to see how the 3070 launch goes because at $499 we know that card is going to be even more popular if bigger than 2080 performance.......

15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Wasn't there a huge amount of RMA for 2080's right after launch? Feel like there was.

Fediuld likes this.

16. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    It's almost cute.. :rolleyes:

17. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Demand is not higher than usual, supply is simply lower, way lower.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  18. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I don't expect you have any evidence to back that up do you?

19. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Supply is way to low, this is the aftermath of the corona virus sadly. The demand is very high so its sold out so fast. Real reason is, lower price than last gen, low supply, high demand, finally far better 4k gaming card and last but not least, mining performance is much better vs the price value, down side is the huge power consumption. I hope these scalpers get what they deserve now!

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Lower? What are you talking about? The entire gaming industry whether it be PC or console has skyrocketed this year with millions of people stuck at home. The demand is huge and people who can make money off of it know that.