Nvidia Game Ready Driver 456.38 - Download and Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Astyanax, Sep 17, 2020.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Although until tweaked the bigger Windows10 issue is when the update system has a moment and decides to find a more optimal driver for installation, thankfully even as Microsoft tries to word it as a bad thing and discourage it users can still tweak the behavior into mostly a non-issue.
    Pull the plug on internet connectivity when doing a clean install though or nothing can stop the OS from finding the "optimal" thing for that MS default display adapter. Makes cleanup a bit lengthier if you have to wipe that off the system too.

2. mikolaj612

mikolaj612 Member

GPU:
    RTX2060
    From my point of view (kinda power user in some areas) it's better to stick with DCH, mostly because many developers already switched to them at all.
    If you're using Realtek Sound Card you're mostly familiar with those already (especially when you need extension like Nahimic etc. which require DCH at all).
    Also Intel switched over for DCH for most of their stuff like WiFi cards, iGPU drivers, Rapid Storage etc.

I think it's a matter of rather short time when companies will switch to DCH (it also might be forced by Microsoft) - Windows 7 and 8 are getting older everyday, someday they will abandon that platform for good and then I think DCH will be only viable choice.

From what I read and heard DCH are basically same as standard but without NVCP which need to be downloaded from MS Store (also MS Store build is newer and could be updated without waiting for newer drivers). Some sort of confusion might come from simple thing that plenty of people already disliked MS Store and don't want to use it - however there is no requiment for it, you can easily found NVCP and install it manually with some simple script (every UWP app could be deployed that way).

There must be some benefits for developers if they're changing one platform in favor of another.
    Performance and stability wise there will be no difference between DCH and non-DCH - they act the same.

Making long story short - use whatever you want - it's mostly a matter of personal taste but sometimes you might be forced by your OEM to use only of them.

3. Criss

Criss Member

GPU:
    RTX2080 Ti 11GB
    Hi, It got G-sync in driver or firmware update? Does it work in 4k 120 Hz with VRR ?

4. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    @Criss,

Monitors that ship with full G-Sync/FreeSync/VRR support are not automatically supported by the driver. Full support must be added specific to the related Monitor model by NVidia.

Please read @Astyanax response on an earlier page of this thread regarding my statement.

Quote "
    A merge was missed on this driver regarding various Freesync and VRR displays, its fixed on the next one.

in the mean time turn off freesync/vrr on the tv side." Unquote...

You will have to check the Nvidia support list regarding which Monitors are supported & what features are included in that support.

Herochild likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    generally, the compatible list just means it passd tests and is automatically enabled by the driver, there aren't any fixes beyond that.

What happened is there is support code entirely missing for the VESA and HDMI variable refresh technologies causing panels to blank or not go to full refresh range.

6. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    Thanks for elaborating your quote my friend...

7. Mbi2011

Mbi2011 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 OC
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Mbi2011 likes this.
  9. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    So anyone noticed any downsides to getting rid of nvtopps? I assume OC scanner will be broken but it's not supported by my GPU anyway so whatever.
    I'm thinking error logs being flooded with %not_found% errors and things like that.

10. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Going great, card flying at 2070Mhz rock solid. zero cpu usage on idle.

windrunnerxj likes this.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Setting the global DSR value doesn't automatically alter the game res, it just gives added higher res option in the game settings.

PS: there is no per-game profile for DSR.

12. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    You're absolutely right, thanks for pointing that out, I realised my mistake just shortly after I posted it. :)

(For the record I mentioned that ge was forcing dsr 2.00X on, when applied via a profile, thinking it affected all games, which it does not)

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its not writing actually, its all Read IO, it realoads nvtopps.db3 and reparses it for some reason.

no idea what triggers it for some, but not for others.

I'm sure we're all running lean systems and keep a good eye on what we let run at start too.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    fr3quency likes this.
  14. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    @mbk1969, I know that DannyD was simply asking for advise. But the request for this type of advise suggests (at least to me) that there was a lack of understanding about the differences between DCH and Standard drivers. All I was attempting to do was give a little additional info.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I was just going to ask this - got the same problem.

YT Video is fine in windowed or movie mode but when I go fullscreen it freezes and gets unresponsive. Disabling HW accel fixes the problem.

Anyone recognizes this?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Can you snapshot the player stats of an affected video?

also do you have a freesync display?

Your description sounds nothing like CYP3ORG's.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  17. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    I have the same issue. Video playback on YouTube gets choppy when browsing the comments while watching the video.

HoWxCoRe likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I've seen this, but its not new to this driver.

the comment section is causing excessive repaints and the browser chokes on the cpu while reflowing the css.

19. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6950
    how are you watching the video while browsing the comments ?

20. Warkratos

Warkratos Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Got the same issue here.