Nvidia Game Ready Driver 456.38 - Download and Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Astyanax, Sep 17, 2020.

1. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    I'm using official non tampered. Straight from NVIDIA and install. Everything is installed, nothing missing.

2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I fixed it by disabling the service :nvidia display container LS

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Check Event Viewer, I did the same and I'm not seeing any issues

Unless its a DCH only bug and the standard one isn't affected?

thats not a fix

4. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    You seem to enjoy assuming things left and right but no, I've never had any modded, repacked or slimmed drivers installed on my machine.
    It might be, I'm also using DCH.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Gandul likes this.

5. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    @ManuelG Attempting to use the OC Scanner on a Pascal card, within MSI Afterburner, seems to lead to an eventual BSOD (might be when the system goes to sleep, or power saving related). I've attached the dmp file to a report and submitted a form to you.
    I understand that OC Scanner no longer works on Pascal, but at the same time I assume it should not lead to BSODs. There will be people that used it for a year and might attempt to use it again only to eventually BSOD.
    Thanks.

6. HedonismBot

HedonismBot Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Have gone back and forth between these drivers and previous ones and can conclude that these have a CPU performance degradation on my setup (i9 9900k, 2080 ti). Something that shows it quite well is the graphs in Forza horizon, but it is affecting my performance in other titles as well such as Hitman 2. Sorry about taking photos, was just quicker in the moment as this was testing without GFE to rule that out:

Driver 452.22:
    [​IMG]
    Driver 456.38:
    [​IMG]
    For what it is worth, I have reproduced this across the a clean DCH install, clean standard install, and standard install on top of 452.22 driver.

7. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I'll run a .bat file at startup to disable it, problem solved.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Do you have "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area" enabled in the nvcp?

This causes sub 0.30% activity in the Display Container process.

What about Gsync?

except none of your driver settings or game fixes will be applied.

hence, not a fix.

9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Edit:
    It's definitely nvidia container is the issue.

10. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    No GSYNC and no GPU activity. But I'm talking about EventLog log though, not display container.
    I didn't pay much attention to the display container difference and rolling drivers back and forth on an HDD is a pain :)

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    CPU Render benchmarks don't matter on an nvidia driver, it is affected by simple things such as tweaking how deep the drivers scheduler goes for multithreaded dispatching and again when you toggle features like low latency.

Your simulation and GPU results are just fine so there is no issue.

I know, just wanting to rule out the messagebus communications throwing errors since DisplayContainer is just a service host for nvidia's function dlls

windrunnerxj likes this.
  12. pato9

pato9 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 S
    A short performance test, work well on my setup:
    (I hope help you my friends, have subs in english)

13. HedonismBot

HedonismBot Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    This is why I am confused, why is the new driver causing the render performance to change but not the other cpu job? It seems to affect more than just this title, but this is the only one with this kind of benchmark that I've tried so far. I have little else running so can't imagine there is a conflict happening. Is it related to the spikes in activity other people are facing?

Strange.

14. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    I get the unusual nvcontainer CPU usage on this driver as well. This seems to be the culprit, and it keeps oscillating between 84.6kb used and 0 nonstop, which causes that zigzag pattern of core usage (yes, it's on 2 cores for my 8700k too).
    Previous driver didn't have the issue, so I guess I'll be reverting.
    Clean install after DDU in safe mode, same settings as I used for months with previous drivers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DannyD likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    lower CPU Render framerates typically correlate to lower latency since what is being measured is the amount of frames the CPU is preparing prior to sending them off to the gpu, unless Forza is actually doing a low resolution CPU test, (i've never seen it?)

I have nvtopps as well, but see mine is only 0.1
    [​IMG]

toyo likes this.

16. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™

I was on the Standard version as I always stick to the Standard versions. Though too late, I went and put 452.22 on. 0% with all cores practically flatlined. No huge cpu frequency jumps when idle.

I saw no NVIDIA errors in the Event Viewer.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ok, i'll start off by identifying what the hell that dll does and see what it actually connects with in windows.

toyo likes this.
  18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I'm not seeing any errors in Event Viewer. Do they get logged somewhere else?

19. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Lemme know if you need me to dig into it a bit, I'll keep this driver on for a while for troubleshooting purposes maybe we get somewhere. Maybe that thing interferes with something on my PC.
    - killed HWinfo64 and Steelseries Engine, so it's not that, and I don't really have much of anything else running outside of the norm. Maybe Kaspersky IS.
    BTW, if you take a look at the I/O spikes, they're periodic, it's a few 84.6KB spikes, and then 68.5KB spike, 16.1KBspike, repeated what looks to be 2 times, and back to the 84.6KB pattern.
    Very weird, I wonder what it's reading or writing.
    [​IMG]

20. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Yeah, zero were showing for me.