Review: GeForce RTX 3080 Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 16, 2020.

1. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Apparently sales on the Nvidia store went up 2 hours after the time they said sales would start. I gave up after 1.5 hours, unbelievable. It wouldn’t be so egregious if they didn’t pop up a sold out button when really it wasn’t even available yet. This whole thing is such a clusterfuck.

2. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Some gamers got pissed and setup ebay bots to make all the 3080's extremely high priced with zero intent on buying anything. Just F'ing the scalpers over. This has been the battle of the good vs bad bots.

Maddness likes this.
  3. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    RTX 3000 is a mafia from Nvidia. There is a video from Hardware Unboxed, that debunked the myth of improved Ray Tracing. The performance drop is the same with RTX 2080ti. Go buy Nvidia to make JHH happy guys and gals. Do it for the honor of the jacket. I will buy RDNA 2.0 for punishment.

So much more power consumption, performance gains only with DLSS enabled over previous generation with RTX on. Megalulz.:D:p

nikobellic likes this.
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I didn't watch his video - but what do you mean by "it's the same"

If the 2080Ti is getting 100fps and RT on is 50fps and 3080 is 200fps RT on is 100fps (both effectively half non-RT framerate) - it could still be twice as fast. If the card is waiting for RT to finish before displaying the frame then doubling the RT performance is what's leading to double the overall performance.

itpro likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    this is only valid for the netherlands.

6. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Math in our days, is proved by percentages. Supposedly RTX 3000 series would receive reduced performance penalty compared to RTX 2000. That is an outstanding lie from JHH's mouth. Percentage of declining performance is the same.

That they both lose 50% of their FPS in your own example, it is a scientific proof of marketing fraud by nvidia.

7. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    From what I’ve been reading on reddit it was the case pretty much everywhere. I think Netherlands was one of the places that didn’t even have merchant functionality set up yet.

8. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    What are you even talking about? Nothing on HWU debunked improved ray tracing performance. If you go read reviews for these cards they’re all showing strong gains in ray tracing performance, including non-DLSS RT.

9. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
  10. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Yeah I watched that too, nothing in there debunks improved RT performance. That’s just a bold faced lie.

11. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Hand of Huang bless you.

12. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Not only does that video not debunk improved RT performance but it’s pretty promising with the Wolfenstein: Youngblood Asynchronous Compute patch benchmark results. Once devs start accounting for this we’ll see bigger gains as time goes on.

13. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    They need to put in some type of security check and limiting GPU to one per person because right now, bots are having a field day smdh

TheSissyOfFremont likes this.
  14. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    They never will. Bots have been a problem for a long time now and for more than just graphics cards too. The companies don’t care because a sale is a sale and implementing measures will just hurt their bottom line.

TheSissyOfFremont likes this.
  15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Still not exactly there to play smoothly at 4K + RT, but once DLSS 2.x is supported it's ok :)
    Gonna stick to 1440p once 3080 arrives.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Well Nvidia said they are manually reviewing store orders in their apology. Doesnt mean buyers will get theirs soon, since manual order reviews will likely slow order processing down. With regard to AIBs, who knows. I think a month or two should clear out the sales bottlenecks. If not, tough for the cry-babies who feel their lives shattered without a new GPU. :D

17. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    How is it being a cry baby to be irritated about this launch? The whole thing was such a clusterfuck and nobody stood a chance. I know at least in my case since I haven’t been working due to covid and don’t go anywhere due to covid this is pretty much the only thing in my life I have to look forward to right now, so yeah I’m disappointed.

Solfaur likes this.
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn

A typo?

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I managed to order a 3080 but ended up cancelling, i'll get a 3090, selling a lung or something.

pharma likes this.