Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.9.1 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    Its rtx3080

2. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Full video

... and another one

Nice gains in Vulkan games in both videos :)

Jackalito, wirapuru and HD64G like this.
  3. I had something similar happen years ago with a MSI HD7850 and only on Windows (not Linux). I don't believe I ever figured it out or got it fixed, but it only happened on that one GPU I had (never had it happen on a R9 or RX 580).

I don't play BFV, but I'd be using DX12 for better potential performance. Wouldn't be concerned with DLSS or RT.

If it was bugged beyond playing comfortably though, then I guess I'd go to DX11 as long as it worked well enough. I'd probably try DXVK with BFV's DX11 too (DXVK gives me better performance on AoE2-DE and FFXIV with a RX 580), but I don't know if BFV's anti-cheat would have an issue with that or not or if DXVK would even work with it.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What the hell is up with gta v performance?

5. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    Yea that GTA V performance wow lol. Yet me download 20.9.1 and test it again the enterprise driver in some games. Be back later.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It's measuring an overlays framerate rather than the games, the 480 cannot create frames out of thin air.

7. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Yep, those GTA V results seems like some measuring issue.

8. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Driver seems fine with Death Stranding, FM7 and Creed Odyssey. No problems with HDR.

HD64G likes this.
  9. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    I guess AMD has no plans to fix CPU overhead introduced with 20.5.1 for some dx11 games.

10. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    The problem is still the same for Polaris - stuttering all along when recording.. yeah, such a great non performance!
    AMD driver development is a bunch of arty farty!

They want you to buy a better AMD GPU every year :rolleyes: - nada fixing bloatware!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    itpro likes this.

11. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    o_O What are you talking about?

12. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Formatted my pc today in 30 mins it was all ready again, installed 20.9.1, all good so far.

Undying and Passus like this.
  13. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    That's a rather narrow perspective: I do have a Xeon E5-2678 V3 that is a 12C/24T at 3.3 Ghz with the Turbo Boost Unlock mod. You see where I am getting at? DX11 isn't that good at multi-threading and with my low-clockspeed but highly-threaded CPU, DX12 offers me [edit: better performance in scenes with heavy action] albeit at the cost of the mentioned problems. I cannot say if it is due to the BFV devs, Microsoft or the AMD drivers. Unfortunately DXVK is not an option here, it is a stutter fest (but it helps in Company of Heroes 2 where I can get ca. 10% better benchmark results with it compared to the stock DX11 renderer).

In BFV DX11 is okay-ish [edit: I've noticed quite an improvement in comparison to my former testing in DX11, so I guess the game profile wasn't properly applied with earlier driver revisions which made a difference of about 30 % in fps, but the game dips to 85-90 fps with heavy action on screen and DX12 is smoother in this regard].

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  14. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    BFV DX11 runs mediocre-ish on AMD. I suspect Dice screwed up, as the game's "AMD path" shows the same constant minor hitching on Nvidia with DXVK and BF1 ran well (completely without any hitching in CQL) on AMD.
    Though BFV's DX12 renderer is even worse, it's usually quite slower when being GPU bound and CPU performance is worse than with DX11 on Nvidia. :D
    Imho: Just play something better.

15. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Everything is smooth! ~+10% everywhere!

HD64G and Undying like this.

16. TUMIK

TUMIK Active Member

GPU:
    RX470
    exelent boost fps this driver in games /\

itpro, HD64G and Undying like this.
  17. I streamed some Beat Saber (VR) earlier today from a RX 580 (through AMD's stream thing) and didn't notice any issues (game was fine, and the stream looked fine too).

Does that stuttering issue have some kind of specific scenario(s) or way to reproduce it? Does it only happen with recording? I'm looking around some posts now also; apparently this is a problem when using more than 2 audio channels (more than 2.0/Stereo)?

On an unrelated note, I'm pretty impressed with how well AMD's control panel handled streaming. Used to think it was some extra bloatware I'd never use or not as good as using OBS, and I especially didn't think it would work well with VR.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2020
  18. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    since we both have different GPUs/vram it's fairly incompatible to even talk about it.. but 2 short comments from me:

1) the stuttering issue looks like the GPU is dropping/losing sync between graphic frames and recording - when I am lucky I can record the first game session fine but any more sessions result in stuttering (note this is specifically about FC4).. all else records nicely like FC3 /Doom4 or else even in 4K display mode.

2) Look, a driver is just that ...driving the graphic output to the screen all else like GPU monitoring "features" is bloatware eating unnecessarily GPU resources. It should be optional at best coz it can limp weaker GPUs.

Attached Files:

GSDragoon likes this.
  19. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I need anyone with rx580 to confirm the bug or am i just isolated case?

Windows 10 2004, since 20.9.1 i'm getting odd problem with video playback in mpc-hc (i'm not using any other player), when switching multiple times to fullscreen and off full screen i'm getting drop in fps in fullscreen playback. Doesn't matter if i am using default renderer or madVR.

I think i will have to go back to 20.8.3 unless someone with similar issue has workaround for that.

20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Can't confirm. What's your resolution and refresh rate?