Review: GeForce RTX 3080 Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 16, 2020.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    So its mid day on the 17th September....

RELEASE DAY

I have check Nvidia.com, overclockers, ebuyer, scan, and many other sites. Not a single site has any for purchase just a "notify me" icon..........

I guess we were right this is just a paper launch.

2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    2pm uk time is when they release.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  3. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Nothing at all on amazon.uk, not even a listing.

4. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    yeah, you´re absolutely right, my CPU is barely used (approx. 30-40% av., 50% peak), so GPU makes not much a difference, as long as you stay below 4k, either with one, or more displays. Could be interesting how FS2020 performes on a Xbox, or when connecting 2-3x 4k displays. Nevertheless the game looks awsome in 4k and despite <60fps, experiance is great. According to Microsoft, ASOBO is still improving the game and they are listening to the community (2 patches already released). They told, the project is planned to last for years. We must have in mind, scaling on software side, for a developer, is not an easy task, as long as there is not much support from the API. Anyway, for my system, no doubt, a new GPU is a must. Looks like 3080 supports no NVLink and for me Multi GPU support is mandatory. So, as always before investing a "small fortune" in new hardware, patience and a lot of reading for the next few weeks will be necessary. A used 2080Ti still is an option....

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Ahh that makes sense.

Why do companies do this now though? I remember when they said 17th September and it would be available at 00:01am the same with consoles. They have been doing this with games too, on steam a game has a release date of for example 10th January..... Me: "Cool I can preload it and play it at midnight"...... Steam: "Nope you will wait until 6pm"..... like why? lol :p

DannyD likes this.
  6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Almost 100% better than the previous generation - that's pretty great. Compare it to the card it's replacing, the 2080. Not the 2080 Ti. It's pretty insane.

7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'm unbiased use cards from both camps. I'm not all that impressed. When you see the 3080 uses 30% more power for just over 30% more FPS on average over the 2080TI it isn't all that impressive. The price is at least not to high but I will just wait to see what AMD has in store. I may very well get a 3080 will keep an open mind for another two months.

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
  9. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I’ve been refreshing Best Buy and Nvidia websites and the 3080 FE went right from coming soon to sold out.

Duke Nil likes this.
  10. It's a logic issue with Ghost Recon. Soon to be addressed in the upcoming driver release
    Click farms

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    This was a paper launch to be first. A smart marketing move by Nvidia. I would not expect to snag a 3080 until another 30 days unless you get very lucky.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    6900xt will be right there with 3080 and i think amd card will be more efficent. If it comes with 16gb it will be just what we need.

13. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
  14. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I haven’t seen a single person on reddit or twitter that got one.

Well at least the Asus TUF OC reviews are looking good, but not $100 more good. Plus who knows when BH Photo will get around to shipping mine out.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Rumors are Nvidia is banking on doing most of its sales thru AIBs since the FE cooler supposedly is very expensive ($150 according to IgorsLab). So 'supposedly' they are not making much money off the FE and thus looking at the bulk of sales to be from AIBs where they make better margins. ***rumor*** I guess we should eventually know if true by how hard or easy it is to buy from Nvidia store over next few weeks, months.

edit: if true, I guess they hope to get credit (or avoid criticism) for not charging exorbitant prices and pass the blame onto others (AIBs) for prices.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020

16. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Its an obvious plan to sell at over the MSRP. Sell a few at MSRP day one then everything else is higher.

HandR likes this.
  17. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Lame, I was refreshing nvidia, newegg, amazon, and best buy and the only thing that happened was newegg went down for a bit. Paper launch indeed. Wouldn't be surprised if prices go up by the time there is any stock :(

I think I'll wait for AMD after all

18. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I mean, it’s not like there were any AIBs available today either. I just happened to get an order in a few days ago when BH mistakenly put it up for sale.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Seems shops here are taking advantage of low availability.

Megekko-nl-Bekijk-alle-Videokaarten-Nvidia-Videokaarten.png

It was apparently €1999 before the price cut though.

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    every site is down LMAO

overclockers, scan!

ebuyer works though.